Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Hey guys, I accidentally removed the "All Inboxes" tab to the right of Mailboxes in Apple Mail after just installing Big Sur. How do I get it back so I can see all my inboxes at once rather than having to click one by one through each account to view that respective inbox? I want to restore the "All Inboxes" button in the navigation pan in Apple Mail. Thanks in advance!

bobbipal

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
Same here! Hello? Was grayed out but clicked the right arrow - not +. I would delete this but can't figure out how.

Last edited:

jimbo0628

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2021
No matter what I try, the All inbox choice is greyed out and can't be chosen. Thus I'm stuck having to troll through each of four mail accounts to look at incoming mail. Same for all sent. It just happened one day a week ago. Help!

frizzo2020

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2021
Thanks to SW3029 for original answer. Was a confusing one. Try removing the all inbox option and then re-adding it.

misterstew

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2019
Spent an hour in chat with Apple on this, and they were about to have me go in to diagnostics mode to figure it out. But I tripped across this thread before going down that rabbit hole. I found that I first had to remove from Favorites everything I had previously selected into order to enable the Favorites "+" icon to access the "Add Favorite" screen, and then realized there are prepositioned selections for All Inboxes, All Sent, etc. Voila; so love it when there is a "simple" solution.

palvil31

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
Spent an hour in chat with Apple on this, and they were about to have me go in to diagnostics mode to figure it out. But I tripped across this thread before going down that rabbit hole. I found that I first had to remove from Favorites everything I had previously selected into order to enable the Favorites "+" icon to access the "Add Favorite" screen, and then realized there are prepositioned selections for All Inboxes, All Sent, etc. Voila; so love it when there is a "simple" solution.
I have gone a number of months without "All Inboxes" in my Favorites. I could not find a solution until i read this today. Thank you so much.

To be clear, make sure to use the right mouse click to remove each inbox. Then goto the "+" next to the Favorites in the sidebar, and you will see options in the drop down menu to add "All Inboxes".

Mbalenhle

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
I have gone a number of months without "All Inboxes" in my Favorites. I could not find a solution until i read this today. Thank you so much.

To be clear, make sure to use the right mouse click to remove each inbox. Then goto the "+" next to the Favorites in the sidebar, and you will see options in the drop down menu to add "All Inboxes".
This is exactly what happened to me - Thank you all for this thread!

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I have the same problem ... Inbox used to show all mailboxes but now just shows the first one on the list. I don't see the "Favorites" that is mentioned in the solution. I don't have "Favorites" in my sidebar ??? Help!! Thanks!

EDIT: Please disregard ... I figured it out.... My Favorites show up across the top of the screen ... Found it and fixed my issue. Thanks!

Last edited:

tholland50

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
I had the same problem. It might have happened after I upgraded. I'm sure I didn't accidentally delete it because I would have had to go through this process. Figured it out thanks to you all! Had to delete everything in the favorites, and then re-add.

marksjus

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2021
Hey guys, I accidentally removed the "All Inboxes" tab to the right of Mailboxes in Apple Mail after just installing Big Sur. How do I get it back so I can see all my inboxes at once rather than having to click one by one through each account to view that respective inbox? I want to restore the "All Inboxes" button in the navigation pan in Apple Mail. Thanks in advance!
I had the same problem, found it was greyed out, and then realized I didn't have to add it, it was already there, just had to click the > next to Favorites and select it again. Hope this helps some folks too!

Brucemax

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
Hi All
You might try this... worked for me. After Googling without success ( most responses simply re hashed the manual) I found this blog. It inspired me to try one more time. When I clicked on the Favourites Right Arrow, sure enough, the All Inboxes entry and a few others were still grey... but a couple were not.. so I added All Junk, then quit mail. When I opened it again, All Inboxes had returned (Apple Magic I guess) along with a lot more which were not there before ( Favourites sidebar was empty) .. so deleted most and problem solved .. and I had quit/restarted many times before and nothing changed
Stay safe

peterkarsten

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
thank you for this thread. total pain to suddenly not see my main mail interface - all inboxes - and hop around in the vain hope of working efficiently

Jenn71

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
Hello all!! I am having a similar problem. All of my individual inboxes have now been put under "all mail" and are greyed out. I tried the options from @peterkarsten with no success. Any further suggestions. I really need them in separate inboxes as they are separate business.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
You can create a number of 'smart mailboxes' and set up rules for each.
So for example if you have an email: 123@free, you would set up a mailbox, call it what you like then
use 'From' and 'Is' then select 123@free from the list.
It will then divert all the emails from that address to the new mailbox and they will now be stored on your mac.
You will need to do one for each email of course but you can include more than one rule so you could use one mailbox for more than one address for example.

I would also try to find where this has come from because it's certain Mac mail hasn't suddenly created an mailbox called 'all mail'. If it's from one provider then it's probably they who are the ones just giving you one single box now.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Just found an EASIER way to fix this. At the top left where the ALL INBOX, ALL SENT, etc was located, there is a plus sign and a little arrow. I hit the arrow and they came back.

DONE

AlPonRock

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Netherlands
Thank you! That is just bad by design if you all have this issue. I would be ashamed as a developer that all my users have this issue already for such long time. But anyway, thanks!

Reactions: Brainguynyc

JustinKent

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
It's a little bit too easy to accidentally remove All Inboxes from Favorites. All you have to do is click and drag it off the sidebar, and "poof" it disappears. I've seen it happen before and it can really torment the user. One time, I completely reset the Mail preferences before discovering the hidden Favorites > + button. Glad you all figured it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.