Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattRiddle

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I have an M1 Mac and an LG HDR 4K external monitor. I had this problem (blurry display at everything other than the highest resolution, which is too small for me to read) after updating to Ventura.

Downloaded this free tool: https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay

This solved the problem for me. I switched to 1920 x 1080 resolution and it now looks perfectly sharp again. Great tool that allows further configuration as well, including easily setting the brightness of my external display.

Reactions: pazogr

kevdoy

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
Seattle Area
Made an account just to comment on this issue.

I am having the same problem and opened a case with Apple Support. Had it escalated all the way to a senior Mac advisor to get a bug report opened up. I highly recommend everyone still experiencing this issue does the same so they know it's an issue across different monitors.

devprocb

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
I fixed the issue by disabling the monitor's built-in variable refresh rate. (For me I have the Samsung Ultrawide G9 C49G95TSSN). It appears the new update is not certified with Ventura yet for G-SYNC. Once I disabled the monitor's built-in variable refresh rate, it detected the higher resolutions. You do lose the 240 hz refresh rate though, which sucks, but fixes the resolution issue on my end.

s_barrow1

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2022
Tampa, FL
I fixed the issue by disabling the monitor's built-in variable refresh rate. (For me I have the Samsung Ultrawide G9 C49G95TSSN). It appears the new update is not certified with Ventura yet for G-SYNC. Once I disabled the monitor's built-in variable refresh rate, it detected the higher resolutions. You do lose the 240 hz refresh rate though, which sucks, but fixes the resolution issue on my end.
Same monitor, same issue, same resolution (no pun intended...)! TY! This was driving me nuts.

vladutz

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2022
I noticed the exact same issue with the original adaptor (Apple Multiport AV digital, USB-C) and LG 4K 27UL550. After upgrading to McOS Ventura, the default resolution my Mac M1 saw with the external monitor was 1920x1080. If I manually selected the 4K, as it showed available, it appeared as "low resolution" and it worked as a scaled resolution (tiny text and icons) which was not acceptable.

I tried different HDMI cable, a different HDMI hub and even reinstalling the OS. Funny enough, while going through Big Snur at reinstall, the setup worked fine. When going up to Ventura it suddenly broke.
If I connected a different monitor (a native 1080), the default resolution was detected ok.
So the combination Mac M1 with Ventura, HDMI hub (even Apple) and the LG 4K monitor did not work.

As I already had the Apple hub, the only thing left to do was to buy a Display Port to USB-C adapter.
I bought a relatively cheap one (20 EUR - https://www.axagon.eu/en/produkty/rvc-dpc)) and the problem went away.

It was very frustrating but I am happy I managed it.
@Apple, please do not do this kind of stuff :(

Reactions: joedsuperpogi

Corwin of Amber

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2022
FWIW, I found these steps helpful:
  • Switch to mirroring mode in the display settings (i.e. the monitor mirrors the built-in retina)
  • An "Optimize for" dropdown list appears. Select your external monitor.
  • For me, it automatically selected the default one which is 1920x1080 but now it is properly scaled so that the UI and fonts are a reasonable size but it uses the native 4K (3840) resolution like before.
  • Turn mirroring off -- it keeps the settings for the external monitor and you can keep using it. It even "remembered" them when I plugged the monitor out and back in.
The fact that I got different results from turning mirroring on and off than just selecting the "1920x1080 (Default)" item from the list is clear evidence that this is a UI bug IMO.

Edric_1337

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
Just a quick replay: same for my 2560*1440 monitor from Acer... so not only a 4K problem.
Nothing helped so far...

olejoman

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2022
Hi all,

I have registered here to share my story/solution:

I'm using Macbook Pro 13 2020 (Intel Thunderbolt 4 ports) and DELL U2723QE 4K Display connected via USB-C.
I just updated to Mac Os Ventura and figured out that I cannot use HiDPI on 60HZ.
Usually, I set 2k HiDPI 60 HZ, but after the update, there was no same option no matter how I connect display HDMI or USB-C. Spent almost all day fixing it.

So what I did - I just changed in display settings (not mac os display settings) USB-C Prioritization from High Data Speed to High Resolution and that's it.
IMG_9670.jpeg

On Monterey everything worked well with High Data Speed

I hope this help

Last edited:

Spiers

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
So what I did - I just changed in display settings (not mac os display settings) USB-C Prioritization from High Data Speed to High Resolution and that's it.
Thanks, this has resolved the problem for me using the same monitor. Funny, because I am sure I tried changing this setting before and had no luck, so not sure what I actually did. Curious to know how it affects data speeds...

Last edited:

jayden

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Same issue here. Turns out it was the USB-C hub, which had zero issues previously. Now plugging monitor directly in to USB-C port on my 2018 MacBook Pro, and all working as before.

Yunicon

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2022
FWIW, I found these steps helpful:
  • Switch to mirroring mode in the display settings (i.e. the monitor mirrors the built-in retina)
  • An "Optimize for" dropdown list appears. Select your external monitor.
  • For me, it automatically selected the default one which is 1920x1080 but now it is properly scaled so that the UI and fonts are a reasonable size but it uses the native 4K (3840) resolution like before.
  • Turn mirroring off -- it keeps the settings for the external monitor and you can keep using it. It even "remembered" them when I plugged the monitor out and back in.
The fact that I got different results from turning mirroring on and off than just selecting the "1920x1080 (Default)" item from the list is clear evidence that this is a UI bug IMO.
Amazing bro!
I know that it was not a hardware issue, but your suggestion helps me to save that expense anyway.
THIS WORKS FINE FOR MY LG 4K Screen

Kudos to you!

nashistic

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2022
Same display, nothing over USB C to DP. Downgraded to Monterey, seems like it has something to do with the firmware as its not working even if I have downgraded.

nashistic

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2022
Ventura is definitely buggy for sure. Loads of people reported similar issues. Before Apple churns out a fix, the only way is either downgrade back to monterey, or find a solution on our own.

I did a TM backup right before upgrade and was anticipating some broken changes. But so far, it's more or less similar with my simple dev work flow.
I did a fresh install of Monterey and Big Sur, didn't fix the issue for me.

Landon_Hughes

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
DeWitt, Michigan
I found out my issue. I had to go into my monitors settings. I have a couple LG monitors. I went into settings > general > Reset to Initial Settings.

After doing this, I then had the option to enable "60hz" for both monitors. I hope this helps a few of you here!

johnwc

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2022
not exactly the same problem, but I had resolution trouble with
  • an M1 mac with Monterey
  • USB-C to HDMI adapter from Zmuipng
  • LG 32 full hd 1080p monitor
Installing the LG on screen control app, and a reboot, fixed it.
I don't leave the LG Onscreen app running, but it seemed to install some Mac friendly profiles

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have the Mac mini with the new M1. It is connected to the Samsung G9 Odyssey 5K 240 refresh rate. I just upgraded to Ventura and now it says my display is LC49G95T @ 3840x1080. I am plugged in from the back of the M1 directly to the monitor. WTF! I can't even get 5K (5820x1880) options now :(. Any recs?
Weird, just looked up the G9 and Amazon says it is 4k, not 5k.

snowball6467

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2022
Flatön
Struggled with this problem for a few hours as well using an Anker USB-C hub with a high speed HDMI cable.

The Macbook Air M2 was only recognising the Samsung 4K display as 1980 x 1080. Finally discovered I'd set the Menubar size to Large in Settings -> Accessibility.

After login and logout the display is now correctly seen as 3840 x 2160.

Bizarre.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 09.57.50.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 09.59.59.jpg

Reactions: harriska2

Tim930

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
Seattle, WA
Just made an account to reply.
I was having the same issue by using Apple Type C HDMI adpater with my M1.
Try to directly plug in your HDMI into the new M1 (Yes, it has HDMI port), it should solve the issue.

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Same issue here. 2020 M1 MacBook Air, cheap USB-C to HDMI 7-in-1 hub, Samsung LU28R550UQNXZA 4K monitor. Worked great under Monterey, and with the release of 13.1 I thought I'd give Ventura a try. But nope. Ventura refused to do the scaling. It only offered 1440p ("low resolution") output which looked bad of course with the monitor doing the scaling. I tried a bunch of the workarounds in this thread but no luck. Back to Monterey for now and it's working fine again. So clearly not a hardware problem.

If I could figure out how to force Ventura to use 30 Hz refresh maybe that would work. This cheap hub can't do 4K60. The refresh rate popup in settings only had a 60 Hz option. But in Monterey it works great at 30 Hz.

rickyrigatoni

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2022
Exact same issues unresolved here with an Acer. Really frustrating stuff. I was escalated through support to a Senior Advisor on apple who said they received word from Engineering that this is"intended behavior"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.