Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickofari

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
Same situation for me here. MacBook Air (M1) - External display = HP Z27k G3
None of the posted solutions in this thread have worked. I even replaced the USB hub to one that was recommended as a fix (SMK Link USB-C Multi-Port Hub, Model VP6920). I used to have a crisp 2560x1440 display, but now it is blurry.
Almost all of the options have "(low resolution)" next them except 1920x1080 (Default) and a few others that are not what I want (and had). Images attached.
Made a support call to Apple. They had me restart Mac and Monitor. When I did, It actually made the 1920x1080 (Default) option blurry as well. It appears that it only offered 30 Hertz before, but with restart it offered 50 or 60 Hertz.

Solution: The Apple support rep suggested we remove the HDMI cable connection (via USB) hub, and go with a straight USB-C cable between MacBook Air and HP Monitor. It worked. External display now renders 2560x1440 but in the Apple native display dialogue and not the long list of resolution options.
The bonus is that the USB-C cable also provides power so that I don't really need the USB hub at this point (unless I am connecting traditional USB devices / ports).
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 3.05.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 1.39.08 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 1.39.30 PM.png

Last edited:

walshy05

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
So I recently bought 2x LG 4K 27" monitors, when a monitor is connected directly with HDMI to my 14" Macbook running MacOS Ventura I have no issues, can run 4K 60hz with scaling. When I use my Satechi USB-C dongle though no love, same issue as everyone else here! So damn frustrating. The dongle seems fine when I use it on my windows machine, can use 4K with scaling. Does anyone have any advice without buying more damn hubs and dongles? Should I try a HDMI to USBC Cable? Tried a few things on here but nothing seems to have worked so far

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    231 KB · Views: 102
  • 1.png
    1.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 109

snowball6467

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2022
Flatön
Ventura 13.2 did not fix it. Here's how I got my LG 4K to work. Posting just in case this might help someone else save a few hours....

1. Install BetterDisplay

2. In the BetterDisplay settings set the correct native resolution for the monitor as per its control panel / specs. This appears to be the root of the problem - Ventura is not detecting the correct resolution.

Displays.jpg

3. This should now, after reboot, display the correct resolution for the display in the Settings.

Settings.jpg

4. For amusement have a look at the System Info that thinks that I have a 5K display when I've set the LG to 2560 x 1440 (my preferred working resolution) :)

About.jpg

joedsuperpogi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
Philippines
Ventura 13.2 did not fix it. Here's how I got my LG 4K to work. Posting just in case this might help someone else save a few hours....

1. Install BetterDisplay

2. In the BetterDisplay settings set the correct native resolution for the monitor as per its control panel / specs. This appears to be the root of the problem - Ventura is not detecting the correct resolution.

3. This should now, after reboot, display the correct resolution for the display in the Settings.

4. For amusement have a look at the System Info that thinks that I have a 5K display when I've set the LG to 2560 x 1440 (my preferred working resolution) :)

View attachment 2146966

I can confirm this fix works in MacOS Ventura 13.2 using the latest version of BetterDisplay. My PHILIPS 4K monitor is connected to my M1 Macbook Air via HDMI and Acasis USB-C hub and it really restored the HiDPI options in display settings! Thanks!

I have tried this fix months ago in previous version of BetterDisplay but it did not work before. Maybe something was fixed in the updates.

Before re-attempting this fix using BetterDisplay, I have uninstalled one-key-hidpi tool and reset display plist files following this guide.

• Love
Reactions: snowball6467

someknave

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023

1. Install BetterDisplay

View attachment 2146964

View attachment 2146965

View attachment 2146966

I created an account just so I could say thank you for this. This is the only thing that worked for me.

Reactions: snowball6467

savnld

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I had the same problem after upgrading to a recent version macos. I am currently running Macos Sonoma 14.1.1

I just fixed the problem with the suddenly missing Scale options on my Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB connected to LG HDR 5K Display by changing the Displayport version 1.2 in the LG screen settings (so not in Macos System Settings), which gave me these display options

1700951157902.png

to Displayport version 1.4 which shows me the missing Scale options.

1700951281117.png

It takes 5-10 secs for the image on the screen to return, when switching between Displayport versions.

I have no idea why the Displayport setting was on 1.2.

Last edited:

cochinet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
Hello @savnld how did you change the displayPort version.

I'm having trouble with one of the usb-c ports of the M1 Macbook Air that is displaying correctly in one port but in the other one it just messes up all the resolution options. 😪

I had the same problem after upgrading to a recent version macos. I am currently running Macos Sonoma 14.1.1

I just fixed the problem with the suddenly missing Scale options on my Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB connected to LG HDR 5K Display by changing the Displayport version 1.2 in the LG screen settings (so not in Macos System Settings), which gave me these display options

View attachment 2316841

to Displayport version 1.4 which shows me the missing Scale options.

View attachment 2316842

It takes 5-10 secs for the image on the screen to return, when switching between Displayport versions.

I have no idea why the Displayport setting was on 1.2.

savnld

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello @savnld how did you change the displayPort version.

I'm having trouble with one of the usb-c ports of the M1 Macbook Air that is displaying correctly in one port but in the other one it just messes up all the resolution options. 😪

You have to make sure the usb-c cables you are using to connect the screen to the Macbook are thunderbolt cables. Plain usb-c cables might not work. The official cable that came with my LG 5K monitor is ok.

I changed the displayport via the on-screen menu that becomes visable after pressing the joystick-like button at the bottom of my LG screen.

1701185351642.png

cochinet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
hahahah thought it was a software configuration or somethig like that. My bad.

Same usb-c hub, cables, and everything. Just works different on port 1 that on port 2 of the M1 MBA 🤷‍♂️

You have to make sure the usb-c cables you are using to connect the screen to the Macbook are thunderbolt cables. Plain usb-c cables might not work. The official cable that came with my LG 5K monitor is ok.

I changed the displayport via the on-screen menu that becomes visable after pressing the joystick-like button at the bottom of my LG screen.

View attachment 2318294

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.