Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Hi all,

With Apple's recent introduction of the Apple Silicon M3 chips (and the discussions, preliminary benchmarks, etc), I look at my Mac mini M2 Pro sitting next to me.

It's been a solid workhorse since I got it earlier this year! No regrets.

richmlow

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
they are great computers
My first was the mac mini 2012 which paid for itself the first 5 moths.
that was a great elegant and usefully computer.
sadly last year the fan latch on the logic popped off
and all the kings usb fans could not cool that mini again.

last week i finally decided to get a replacement for that mini.

have fun!

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
How does the M2 Pro Mini perform with Adobe Illustrator? Particularly interested in the performance with a workflow of say 5-10 safari tabs, Illustrator loaded with 2-3 files, and perhaps even InDesign loaded with 2-3 files.

I’d LOVE a Mini as the form factor is perfect for my needs. But I’m just on the fence if I need a Studio…

Coming from a 2020 intel iMac 27 10 core i9 64GB RAM 2TB SSD (ram and ssd are both overkill but I wanted a loaded intel that I’ll never sell)

Jujuman

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2023
How does the M2 Pro Mini perform with Adobe Illustrator? Particularly interested in the performance with a workflow of say 5-10 safari tabs, Illustrator loaded with 2-3 files, and perhaps even InDesign loaded with 2-3 files.

I’d LOVE a Mini as the form factor is perfect for my needs. But I’m just on the fence if I need a Studio…

Coming from a 2020 intel iMac 27 10 core i9 64GB RAM 2TB SSD (ram and ssd are both overkill but I wanted a loaded intel that I’ll never sell)
I think the only thing you need to worry about is having enough RAM, the CPU is more than capable of tackling what you describe. I've had similar workflows (photoshop/figma/chrome tabs running all at the same time), with no problems. -On a 10 core m2 pro.

Schnitzel1979

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
i am planning a new mac; i am torn between a m3 Macbookpro and a mini m2 pro, last one would be a lot cheaper; i am planning to use logic pro which should run fine on a mini;

Reactions: mr_jomo

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
i am planning a new mac; i am torn between a m3 Macbookpro and a mini m2 pro, last one would be a lot cheaper; i am planning to use logic pro which should run fine on a mini;
I'd probably opt for Macbook pro simply because it is mobile, you can work on Logic projects at a coffee shop ;)

Reactions: Chuckeee

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA

I have a "regular" mini M2, 16GB/512GB and run Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom all at the same time with no issues. I always have two different browsers open with a minimum of 20 tabs and then some other programs that always run like mail, calendar etc etc.

I have very large and intricate files so if my mini m2 can do it a mini m2 pro should definitely be ok.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Hi all,

Update on my 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro....

Everything has been working great with one small exception. There seems to be somewhat frequent
"flickering / pulsing" when I use the Mac mini with my Dell P2720DC monitor. I've seen forum threads with
this issue being discussed. However, it doesn't seem to have been resolved.

Does anybody has any advice to correct the problem?

richmlow

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Using a shorter HDMI 2.1 cable helps, but does not eliminate the issue. The cable that comes with the Dell monitor is particularly bad.

For example:

Reactions: richmlow

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I have a Mac Mini M2-Pro, with 16GB RAM.

It would work well but people who look at Activity Meter would say it needs more RAM because the meter would say all the Adobe products don't fit in RAM at once. But perceived speed would be good because I bet a lot that your mouse is only in one window at a time. The SSD swap is SO FAST it does not matter. Except if you use instrumentation to monitor it.

If you do care about what Activity Meter says, buy 32GB RAM. It's only a few hundred bucks.

My tasks are robotics software development and running the robots in simulation. I will have lots of technical reference documents open in a browser and a few text editors and a simulation running and perhaps Quicktime is recording a screen video of a simulation. 16GB does this fine, But I don't have huge 100-megapixel Adobe files.

When editing Vacation Photos taken with a mix of iPhone and dSLR using Pixelmator, the computer keeps up with my corrections, I am the bottleneck, not the Mac.

That should be the true judge if a computer is "fast enough" -- is the computer or you the bottleneck?

Almost all of my work will fill all of the 16GB bit if I bought 32GB, it wold also befilled because macOS is programmed to use every bit of RAM you give it, if for nothing else but to cache files. So it will be full always if you are doing non-triveal stuff.

The M2-Pro is very good for lite to moderate professional-level tasks. Maybe go with the M3-Max if you do multi-camera work in 8K.

For profesional use even a $6,000 computer is pocket change. It might cost you $5 per day over its lifetime. We hope you'd be making 10 or 20 times that every hour.

I have not yet tried my M2-Pro for machine learning tasks. But I'd bet the cloud is the place for that, I can rent time on a $30,000 server for not much money. The Mini should work fine for testing the ML setup before moving it to the Google or Amazon server.

BTW the M3-Pro seems to be not much faster than the M2-Pro. If they were similar in price, I'd get the M3-Pro but if the M2-Pro is steeply discounted as might happen snatch one up.

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
It would work well but people who look at Activity Meter would say it needs more RAM because the meter would say all the Adobe products don't fit in RAM at once.
Sort of. How adobe products use RAM is not straightforward, they appear to use a large portion of RAM as reported via Active Monitor. This seem to be almost independent of how much RAM that is actually installed, it would still seen you need more RAM, even if you had 32GB, 64GB or 96GB. The real way to tell is to actually launch several different adobe applications at once, and observe the the amount of swap space used at you launch each additional adobe app. Even with 16GB I suspect you would observe the amount of swap grows little if any. Adobe just plays dirty with claiming RAM based on what’s available, not necessarily what it actually needs run.

A major utility of Activity Monitor is to see if there is some application or process that is claiming lots of resources but is something you don’t really need or even intended to be active (Siri was an infamous example)

Reactions: picpicmac

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Using a shorter HDMI 2.1 cable helps, but does not eliminate the issue. The cable that comes with the Dell monitor is particularly bad.

For example:
Hello Chuckeee,

Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try!

richmlow

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I certainly agree with the 32GB advice on the M2 Pro.
Both my Lightroom Classic, and Pro Tools with its embedded virtual instruments with large sample libraries loaded, are memory hogs - I can run them simultaneously, but mostly don't, because I can see Activity Monitor reporting overload and swapping if I do.

I have ordered a Mac Mini M2 Pro 10-core, 32/512.
Looking forward to loading it up and pushing it a bit.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
My M2 MM is a beast, even with 16gb of RAM. I didn't go for the M2 Pro because honestly, it was a little overkill for what I do on a daily basis (browsing, email, stream music) but I also knew that the base M2 would be able to tackle more intensive apps like photoshop and lightroom. So far, I have YET to be disappointed. Even when I do a little bit of video editing with Davinci Resolve, there is ZERO stutter from the M2. If I was doing the same video editing on my old Windows PC, I would still be waiting for it to export.

Same for ripping BluRays with MakeMKV. Before, it would take me all day to copy a BluRay with MakeMKV, then convert and compress it with handbrake. Like...ALLLLLL DAYYYYY. With my base M2 with 16gb, I can copy, compress and convert a full BluRay in less than an hour!

I'm still paying on my Mac Mini and until it bursts into flames, I dont expect to upgrade anytime soon, or if ever. It has been beyond reliable and if the opportunity arises where the M3 is an option, I'll have to really think hard about upgrading because the M2 has been beyond awesome for me.

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2022
My M2 MM is a beast, even with 16gb of RAM. I didn't go for the M2 Pro because honestly, it was a little overkill for what I do on a daily basis (browsing, email, stream music) but I also knew that the base M2 would be able to tackle more intensive apps like photoshop and lightroom. So far, I have YET to be disappointed. Even when I do a little bit of video editing with Davinci Resolve, there is ZERO stutter from the M2. If I was doing the same video editing on my old Windows PC, I would still be waiting for it to export.

Same for ripping BluRays with MakeMKV. Before, it would take me all day to copy a BluRay with MakeMKV, then convert and compress it with handbrake. Like...ALLLLLL DAYYYYY. With my base M2 with 16gb, I can copy, compress and convert a full BluRay in less than an hour!

I'm still paying on my Mac Mini and until it bursts into flames, I dont expect to upgrade anytime soon, or if ever. It has been beyond reliable and if the opportunity arises where the M3 is an option, I'll have to really think hard about upgrading because the M2 has been beyond awesome for me.
@jedimasterkyle What SSD size do you have for your M2 Mac Mini?

Last edited:

Macbudinc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
After waiting and saving $$$ for so long for new imac annoucements and being slightly disappointed, Ive decided to go with the mac mini m2 pro 16gig ram, 1TB upgrade as my new desktop. Eyeing a nice LG 32 inch display at costco for $250. Anybody recommend particular montitors that dont cost and arm and leg but do the job and look great? Also any really good docs that go with the mini well and/or expandable ports, slots, ext mem?? Also any good mac style keybards that arnt apple grand but just as good or better for less $$$. as for mouse i always went with Kingsington track ball mice since forever, i like those ergonomic track ball pads if there are for left hand and recommendations? its been so long im coming from a 2009 24 dual core imac still in service.

Reactions: picpicmac

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Same for ripping BluRays with MakeMKV. Before, it would take me all day to copy a BluRay with MakeMKV, then convert and compress it with handbrake.

Any reason you are compressing with Handbrake? It takes huge resources - 1800% of my studio CPUS for a few minutes. I normally don't convert since I want to preserve the original quality. The only reason I'm doing it now is that I extract music videos from some of my MKVs (Footloose 2011) and I chose the wrong audio conversions the first time. Luckily I had the original MKV around. If I just had the compressed version then I wouldn't have been able to do it. So if you are keeping the original mkv why convert it when Plex or Infuse will play it?

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
@jedimasterkyle What SSD size do you have for your M2 Mac Mini?
256GB. Kind of regretting not getting more storage from the factory but thankfully, type C external SSD's are stupid cheap so that kind of fixes the issue.

Any reason you are compressing with Handbrake? It takes huge resources - 1800% of my studio CPUS for a few minutes. I normally don't convert since I want to preserve the original quality. The only reason I'm doing it now is that I extract music videos from some of my MKVs (Footloose 2011) and I chose the wrong audio conversions the first time. Luckily I had the original MKV around. If I just had the compressed version then I wouldn't have been able to do it. So if you are keeping the original mkv why convert it when Plex or Infuse will play it?
I compress with handbrake solely for the space saving aspect. When I convert and compress with handbrake to MP4 files, I dump them onto my Plex HDD's and doing that has saved me a TON of space. If I didn't compress, each MP4 would be 25gb+ minimum. When I compress, I can get them down between 2 and 4 GB per file. Since I dont have a good solution to upgrade my Plex HDD's in the near future, I have to save every GB I can. Besides, streaming locally, I've never noticed a degradation in the quality or anything. However, I will say that when I do have handbrake running, I just let it do its thing and dont even touch my Mac because of how resource heavy it gets. But when it's done in under an hour, I can totally live with that.

Reactions: justmadeupname

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Thanks. Large hard disks are relatively cheap. What keeps you from upgrading?
Honestly, money. Right now, my Plex HDD's are sitting in a WD MyCloud server that is no longer receiving support. In order for me to upgrade my HDD's, I have to get a NEW WD MyCloud server, copy my existing content onto the new servers HDD's and hope nothing goes wrong.

Looking at their current offerings, I'd be more than ok with their 12TB version for a good long while but I dont have the extra money laying around right now. Perks of adulting. Having to pick and choose what gets paid for first. Toys or bills...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.