Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Trading a mini to get either Air or M1 Pro. Wanted to get some input from users of Pro.

I love the Air we’ve been using for a few years (no keyboard case) but tempted to get a bigger screen on this next purchase. I will primarily be doing some light work (email, etc) and then watching/playing games and possibly doing minor photo/video editing (son likes GarageBand, I like to tinker in iMovie). Also, please offer any keyboard feedback as well. Not sure if the stuff on Amazon is worth a try or stick with apple branded keyboard options for best longevity.

From a pricing standpoint, looks like another Air is the choice. Figure it’s just a decision on screen size at this point, if I’m down to the choice of M1 on either current Air or looking for refurb/sale M1 IPP 2021.

Thanks in advance!

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Easy decision: Whenever possible, buy Pro, even if it's an older model.

Why:
-Quad speaker: Stereo in any screen orientation and fuller and superior sound quality to other iPads.
-Laminated Display: Quieter to tap on and less glare
-120hz display
-128GB base storage. Some triple A games like Genshin impact are 32GB large.
-Face ID makes it dead convenient to unlock the device. Don't need to think about unlocking. Just pick up and swipe up.

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
@Macalicious2011, Apple refurb doesn’t seem to allow for trade in. Know if that’s accurate? Asked in store today and he didn’t think I could.

(Also would miss back to school promo presumably)

Really appreciate your response.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
@Macalicious2011, Apple refurb doesn’t seem to allow for trade in. Know if that’s accurate? Asked in store today and he didn’t think I could.

(Also would miss back to school promo presumably)

Really appreciate your response.

Yup; Apple don't do trade ins unfortunately

Sell privately, get more £££ / $$$ and buy the replacement

Why buy the M1 iPad Pro when the M2 iPad Pro is out and at decent prices; more so if you're on Amazon Prime and they offer the Pay in 5; or look and see what the likes of Klarna or PayPal Pay in 3 can offer etc

Reactions: ag21

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Easy decision: Whenever possible, buy Pro, even if it's an older model.

Why:
-Quad speaker: Stereo in any screen orientation and fuller and superior sound quality to other iPads.
-Laminated Display: Quieter to tap on and less glare
-120hz display
-128GB base storage. Some triple A games like Genshin impact are 32GB large.
-Face ID makes it dead convenient to unlock the device. Don't need to think about unlocking. Just pick up and swipe up.

The Air has had a laminated display since the Air 2.

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Also felt like if it went $1000+, might as well go with M2 MBA in 13 or 15”…

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I think M2 is not worth it unless you find it for a price very close to the M1 pro.
As mentioned, the 3 big differences with the air are:
  • double the storage
  • double the speakers
  • double the refresh rate (and variable too)
Other than that, other differences are more minor or subjective, like Face ID, much better microphones (matters only if you do video calls), slightly higher brightness (600 vs 500 nits), Thunderbolt support and thinner bezels.
For me the storage and speakers difference are the big deal, but your mileage may vary...

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Best places to hunt M1 12.9 Pros? Feel like the $889 refurbs on apple could be beat pretty easily, no?

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Best places to hunt M1 12.9 Pros? Feel like the $889 refurbs on apple could be beat pretty easily, no?

The Woot deal was the best prices I'd seen, especially on the high-tier storage models, but they're sold out (though I've seen them blip back up a few times). May have to watch the used market.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Yeah that’s my big regret, as I do like the iPad Pro now but once you bump up storage and add in Magic Keyboard and cellular option your in MacBook Pro territory.

I wish I bought a laptop

I'm fortunate as I have both (M1 MBA is for my work), M2 Mini Pro is mine and the iPad is mine...

But for reading books (Kindle etc) and magazines; the iPad comes into its own!

You can read them on the M1 MBA; but it's not as good or easily held

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
I would do the refurb price if they let me apply my mini trade in and maybe even secure the back to school promo. Doesn’t seem I can do either. I’ve found some decent local deals but hesitant to meet in person (offerup).

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yeah that’s my big regret, as I do like the iPad Pro now but once you bump up storage and add in Magic Keyboard and cellular option your in MacBook Pro territory.

I wish I bought a laptop
Save money by using your phone as a hotspot and buy your case refurbished, opened but unused or simply used.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Save money by using your phone as a hotspot and buy your case refurbished, opened but unused or simply used.
True, I think I had expectations of using my iPad outside the office/home more than I actually do so cellular was probably a waste for me in hindsight.

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
@danb1979, I’m finding 2021 12.9 with keyboard for $750. Also found one without keyboard for $600. Don’t want to rush decision and agree Apple is the safe bet but they’re also often the most expensive option.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
@danb1979, I’m finding 2021 12.9 with keyboard for $750. Also found one without keyboard for $600. Don’t want to rush decision and agree Apple is the safe bet but they’re also often the most expensive option.
are the devices used? If not these are amazing prices, but I guess they are used. But even then if they are in good conditions these are very good prices

blkjedi954

Suspended
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I think M2 is not worth it unless you find it for a price very close to the M1 pro.
As mentioned, the 3 big differences with the air are:
  • double the storage
  • double the speakers
  • double the refresh rate (and variable too)
Other than that, other differences are more minor or subjective, like Face ID, much better microphones (matters only if you do video calls), slightly higher brightness (600 vs 500 nits), Thunderbolt support and thinner bezels.
For me the storage and speakers difference are the big deal, but your mileage may vary...
Air 5 thunderbolt is up to 10Gbps vs IPP is up to 40Gbps. This is significant depending on use case.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

blkjedi954

Suspended
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Trading a mini to get either Air or M1 Pro. Wanted to get some input from users of Pro.

I love the Air we’ve been using for a few years (no keyboard case) but tempted to get a bigger screen on this next purchase. I will primarily be doing some light work (email, etc) and then watching/playing games and possibly doing minor photo/video editing (son likes GarageBand, I like to tinker in iMovie). Also, please offer any keyboard feedback as well. Not sure if the stuff on Amazon is worth a try or stick with apple branded keyboard options for best longevity.

From a pricing standpoint, looks like another Air is the choice. Figure it’s just a decision on screen size at this point, if I’m down to the choice of M1 on either current Air or looking for refurb/sale M1 IPP 2021.

Thanks in advance!
You mentioned screen size as a factor, were you considering 12.9? Or just the 11in > 10.9 Air?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Air 5 thunderbolt is up to 10Gbps vs IPP is up to 40Gbps. This is significant depending on use case.
Air 5 doesn't have thunderbolt at all, the 10Gbps is USB C 3.2 gen 2.
Having said that,
- very few people use Thunderbolt drives because they are very expensive, the vast majority of people use non TB SSDs.
- 20Gbps drives (gen 2x2) are not supported by Apple products
- Thunderbolt is not 4 times faster than gen 2, but more like 2.5 to 2.8 times faster, as the true speed of Thunderbolt drives is around 22.5 Gbps or 2.8GB/s while 3.2 gen 2 is around 8 Gbps or 1GB/s.

blkjedi954

Suspended
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Air 5 doesn't have thunderbolt at all, the 10Gbps is USB C 3.2 gen 2.
Having said that,
- very few people use Thunderbolt drives because they are very expensive, the vast majority of people use non TB SSDs.
- 20Gbps drives (gen 2x2) are not supported by Apple products
- Thunderbolt is not 4 times faster than gen 2, but more like 2.5 to 2.8 times faster, as the true speed of Thunderbolt drives is around 22.5 Gbps or 2.8GB/s while 3.2 gen 2 is around 8 Gbps or 1GB/s.
True. Was commenting about thunderbolt on another platform and got stuck in my memory..lol. Touchez!!

Reactions: Digitalguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.