Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blkjedi954

Suspended
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
@blkjedi954, I’m now pretty set on 12.9 IPP from 2021. Don’t think I will do the Air.

@Digitalguy, yes, used, mostly offerup listings with verified sellers.
I have both M1 11 & 12.9. The 12.9 is significantly larger than 11 and the heft and bulkiness is apparent. Outside of the heft, the screen real estate is appreciated and gorgeous. I often switch from my 11 to 12.9 while watching hdr movies or movies that have very dark scenes. The 12.9 is excellent in these scenarios where as the 11‘s backlit screen is a major hindrance. I had to, in the past, exit my viewing of a movie on my 11 bc the scene was too dark and the contrast made the entire scene un-viewable. Had to move to the living room OLED tv in order to watch it (No exaggeration) - a la “House of the Dragon - episode 7”. Totally unwatchable on the 11. Or any dark scenes from ”Invasion”. Have to swap out to 12.9. It literally is night and day in contrast and view-ability. 11 has a beautiful screen but it’s limitations become apparent when a high contrast ratio is required to enjoy what’s being displayed.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have both M1 11 & 12.9. The 12.9 is significantly larger than 11 and the heft and bulkiness is apparent. Outside of the heft, the screen real estate is appreciated and gorgeous. I often switch from my 11 to 12.9 while watching hdr movies or movies that have very dark scenes. The 12.9 is excellent in these scenarios where as the 11‘s backlit screen is a major hindrance. I had to, in the past, exit my viewing of a movie on my 11 bc the scene was too dark and the contrast made the entire scene un-viewable. Had to move to the living room OLED tv in order to watch it (No exaggeration) - a la “House of the Dragon - episode 7”. Totally unwatchable on the 11. Or any dark scenes from ”Invasion”. Have to swap out to 12.9. It literally is night and day in contrast and view-ability. 11 has a beautiful screen but it’s limitations become apparent when a high contrast ratio is required to enjoy what’s being displayed.
Having both too, I do agree for movies and series, especially HDR ones.
Having said that the OP use cases did not include movie watching ("I will primarily be doing some light work (email, etc) and then watching/playing games and possibly doing minor photo/video editing (son likes GarageBand, I like to tinker in iMovie)"). Still, I find the larger size better for editing and for basically anything else as long as I am at home and can put the iPad on a stand most of the time.
Where the 11" shines is on the go and for things where you would hold the iPad for a while, like reading.

Reactions: blkjedi954 and ag21

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
This won’t be an “on the go” type device. Mostly parked in two places outside of light travel. When we do travel, bigger screen is preferred if my kids ever let me back in the world where I get to take in a show/movie on the plane.:D

Last edited:

blkjedi954

Suspended
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Having both too, I do agree for movies and series, especially HDR ones.
Having said that the OP use cases did not include movie watching ("I will primarily be doing some light work (email, etc) and then watching/playing games and possibly doing minor photo/video editing (son likes GarageBand, I like to tinker in iMovie)"). Still, I find the larger size better for editing and for basically anything else as long as I am at home and can put the iPad on a stand most of the time.
Where the 11" shines is on the go and for things where you would hold the iPad for a while, like reading.
I just offered some insight into the entertainment aspect of ownership as OP will, imho, inevitably use it for these use cases at some point, secondarily. Screen of 12.9 is just too gorgeous not to. But I totally agree with your assessment. My 12.9 rarely leaves the home. Maybe twice in the past year. My 11in is attached at the hip on my weekly excursions to coffee shops, libraries, or parks. It is my go to device.

Reactions: Digitalguy and ag21

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Handled the 12.9 a bit, and now I’m torn between seizing education pricing on Air (along with gift card) or 2021 12.9 pro on swappa for $675 (with Magic Keyboard).o_O

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Handled the 12.9 a bit, and now I’m torn between seizing education pricing on Air (along with gift card) or 2021 12.9 pro on swappa for $675 (with Magic Keyboard).o_O

Unless you're going to use the power and capability of the 12.9 Pro, the M1/M2 Air will do all that's needed for near enough everyone that wants an ipad

I went for my M2 11 iPad Pro as by the time I'd added cellular and storage to the Air, they were near enough the same price, plus I had Amazon vouchers to use etc

Reactions: ag21

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Get the M1 12.9 inch one. Just the smoothness of the scrolling should be enough to convince you.

JohnR

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I'm trying to decide between iPad Air or 11" Pro myself. Refurb most likely for the Pro, new for the Air. This would replace my 2013 MBA as my portability. We have a mac mini for home computer.
I'm not sure about how either handles stuff like Excel/word if needed. There are the odd times that I need/use them on my MBA, more so when I was in school so not sure how much now. But it would be nice to be able to view spreadsheets (I am not worried about Word as that's pretty simple stuff, but excel is where I am concerned).
Also some photo editing...not sure if I need/want photoshop. Reading books. Watching videos while traveling.
Does airdrop work well between phone and iPads? Does most/all iPhone apps work on the iPad?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm trying to decide between iPad Air or 11" Pro myself. Refurb most likely for the Pro, new for the Air. This would replace my 2013 MBA as my portability. We have a mac mini for home computer.
I'm not sure about how either handles stuff like Excel/word if needed. There are the odd times that I need/use them on my MBA, more so when I was in school so not sure how much now. But it would be nice to be able to view spreadsheets (I am not worried about Word as that's pretty simple stuff, but excel is where I am concerned).
Also some photo editing...not sure if I need/want photoshop. Reading books. Watching videos while traveling.
Does airdrop work well between phone and iPads? Does most/all iPhone apps work on the iPad?

So far, Excel for iPad has rendered my .xlsx files properly (including ones with pivot tables). It’s missing some of the desktop features though so you can’t actually use it to create pivot tables last I checked.

Some iPhone apps don’t have iPad versions so you just get a windowed version with up to 2x zoom and huge black borders. With Stage Manager though, the phone apps can be just another window so it doesn’t look as bad as before.

Reactions: JohnR

JohnR

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Dang, why is the video so different? You would think a Pro model, whether it's 11 or 12, should be the same in resolution. Are the M2 versions the same as in the 12 that much better?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Dang, why is the video so different? You would think a Pro model, whether it's 11 or 12, should be the same in resolution. Are the M2 versions the same as in the 12 that much better?

11” retains the LCD display while 12.9” went Mini-LED starting with 2021. Apple has mentioned they didn’t upgrade the 11” at the time in consideration of weight.

With the 2024 models, it’s rumored they’ll have parity again with the switch to OLED on both sizes.

JohnR

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Grabbed a 2021 12.9 IPP off Swappa with Magic Keyboard (and pencil) for $638. Excited to give it a spin. Thanks again to everyone for their input on this!
I never heard of this site, but just checked it out. There's a local person selling the iPad pro 12 128GB for $699. But can you still get AppleCare? Just worries me buying from someone without knowing if there are issues

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Congrats on your 12.9 IPP!!! I'm sure it will last you for a long time - really amazing you were able to find it for $638 - that's a great deal.

One problem I have with iPads is that I don't want to spend over $1000 on them cuz I'd rather just get a MacBook Air if I'm gunna do that (personal preference).

That said, BestBuy seems to have a ~$100 off sale on the iPads now and then - which to me makes the Air look really attractive (for $100-$150 off).

But you did far better on Swappa!

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
@PegasusTenma, 512gb and yes, M1

@JohnR, don’t think you can add AppleCare on a second hand device but not 100% on that. I’ve used Swappa to sell apples devices and buy, it’s pretty reputable and reliable for me. As with anything used, I go on seller rating and their honesty in comments. This person knocked down price based on micro scratch(es) which should be negligible in my daily use.

@BigMcGuire, I felt the same way about going anywhere near $1000 for an iPad. Some of these Pros may very well be better than MacBook Air but that 15” seemed like the easy choice for me personally, if I wanted to go over $1000 for this setup.

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I had the iPad Pro 12.9 2020 and just got a 256 M1 iPad Peo 12.9 off eBay for $860 and it's less than a year old. Came with the Logitech touch combo and folio case, I have no regrets not getting an M2 or waiting for M3.
That’s an absolute cracking deals. M1 or M2 doesn’t matter. You’ll hit limitations of iPad OS long before you can exploit the full power of an M2, let alone M1 iPad.

Reactions: TAJones99

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Trading a mini to get either Air or M1 Pro. Wanted to get some input from users of Pro.

I love the Air we’ve been using for a few years (no keyboard case) but tempted to get a bigger screen on this next purchase. I will primarily be doing some light work (email, etc) and then watching/playing games and possibly doing minor photo/video editing (son likes GarageBand, I like to tinker in iMovie). Also, please offer any keyboard feedback as well. Not sure if the stuff on Amazon is worth a try or stick with apple branded keyboard options for best longevity.

From a pricing standpoint, looks like another Air is the choice. Figure it’s just a decision on screen size at this point, if I’m down to the choice of M1 on either current Air or looking for refurb/sale M1 IPP 2021.

Thanks in advance!
Air and 11” iPad Pro sizes are close so if you want to get about 11” size, choose one of them. If you want to get larger than that, then only one choice to select: 12.9” iPad Pro.
If pricing is a concern, select the obvious one: Air. Wish the best for your choice and be happy with your choice 😊

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
@Macalicious2011, Apple refurb doesn’t seem to allow for trade in. Know if that’s accurate? Asked in store today and he didn’t think I could.

(Also would miss back to school promo presumably)

Really appreciate your response.
If you can do without an iPad for a week or so, you could trade yours in and have the value applied to a gift card. Then, you could use that gift card to buy your refurb.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I’m an iPad Pro 11 M1 user. I never used an Air but I was sold on the Apple keyboard/case when I discovered it stood up on it’s own (no kick-out stand) and has a charging port built in to the spine.

The iPad holds whatever position you put it in and you can lift the whole unit from the bottom corner near the trackpad, no flex.

Great keyboard.

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Made the switch M1 12.9 IPP to M2 MBA today. FaceTime was buggy for me and felt the weight of the Magic Keyboard made the MBA more attractive option for me. That being said, is there a classified section to post white Magic Keyboard?

Reactions: danb1979
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.