Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Frist time I got this problem, never had it before. Only thing changed is I am on 13.0.1 (22A400) which seems to have load of **** going on!

verm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
HKG
For anyone else experiencing this problem, I think I found a possible culprit for some cases: rsync

rsync is a popular tool used to synchronize files from one location to another. There are many applications that use it behind the scenes.

I was using a newer version (3.2.3) installed via homebrew to synchronize photos between my M1 Mac mini and my NAS. This caused my system to start to slow down, freeze, beach ball, and eventually crash/reboot with a pink screen.

I've filed a bug report here
And another thread on the Apple Stack Exchange can be found here

In my case, I just uninstalled the homebrew version, and used the one included in macOS. No more crashing for me. There's a possibility that some applications use a newer version (or one not compiled for M1) that might not be fully compatible with the M1 and might be causing problems. Just a theory.
I am having pink screen of death on my M1 Mac Mini with Diagnostic reference code: PPM001 - "there may be an issue with the onboard memory". I am bringing it in to the Genius Bar later, but I have just
Bash:
brew uninstall rsync
and won't reinstall it after getting the Mini back from repair. Thanks for your info @mrdoodle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.