Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gooimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
My M1 (8gb/256) Mac mini doesn't seem to want to wake my displays after its been sleeping. I have tried with 2 different displays with 2 different HDMI cables with the same thing occurring on each one. I am currently only using one at a time. I also noticed some pink squares/graphics glitches on the Big Sur boot/log in screen (with the coloured background, not the black and white boot up)

I am going to leave it with the display set to never sleep for now to see if anything is different after leaving it for a while.

Any one else having similar issues? I don't have a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort to try currently.

Reactions: ilpap

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
No issues for me. I have the same configured Mac mini connected to LG's 34 inch ultra-wide 5K2K display using TB3.

Reactions: avonord

gooimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
Spoke to Apple support, they got me to run through a few things to test (same things I had already done like try different monitors/cables) they also got me to make a test admin account to see if the issue also happened on that, which it did.

I now have a USB-C to Displayport cable and thus far it hasn't happened again, but I haven't slept it overnight yet just for a few hours.

No pink/green squares on log in however the whole display did show green briefly on boot.

gooimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
Mini successfully woke after sleeping overnight connected with usb-c to DisplayPort. I have however noticed all the colours are very washed out compared to HDMI no matter what display profile is used.

gmusser

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
I have the same problem, with one twist that might be a clue to the underlying cause: when the display does not wake, the USB-A ports on the monitor (which acts as a hub) are also disabled. I am also noticing other problems with USB connectivity—devices that stop working temporarily—and I see reports online of Bluetooth issues as well.

gooimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
I have the issue even without any USB devices/hubs plugged in.

As I said before, usb-c to DisplayPort will wake as expected, but the HDMI still doesn't work. I even have both HDMI and usbc plugged into the same monitor with macOS set to duplicate the screens and the HDMI still doesn't work after a sleep despite the usbc/displayport connection working (aside from the washed out)

endecotp

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
I also find it difficult to wake my M1 Mac mini. It's a bit complicated here because I have a more than one computer plugged into the monitor, and it looks as if the Mac sometimes wakes up after cycling through the monitor inputs.

I now realise that I don't actually know what is supposed to wake it! I have got used to pressing the shift key on other computers. I guess that small mouse movements are ignored. Can someone explain what is supposed to wake it and what isn't?

Reactions: Jimmy James

Jaffa

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
I bought two Mac minis - one for myself and one for my partner. Mine works fine, my partners has an issue where the built-in HDMI port simply does not come back online when the computer wakes from sleep. The only way to get back into the computer is to use one of the USB-C ports or connect to the computer via Screen Sharing and restart it.

Tested it with two multiple displays and TV's from different manufacturers and the issue persists. Re-install of macOS didn't help either. AppleCare confirmed that the unit was DOA and instructed me to return it for a replacement as that would be quicker than a repair and they didn't want me to have a 'bad experience with the first Apple Silicon Macs on the market'. The replacement unit works flawlessly.

My advice: don't waste your time trying to troubleshoot as much as I did, just get a replacement as there's obviously a bad HDMI driver on some of these boards. I also should have trusted that my partner knew what they were talking about when they said that the display turned off during setup and wouldn't turn back on when she came back from her extended phone call...

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I bought two Mac minis - one for myself and one for my partner. Mine works fine, my partners has an issue where the built-in HDMI port simply does not come back online when the computer wakes from sleep. The only way to get back into the computer is to use one of the USB-C ports or connect to the computer via Screen Sharing and restart it.

Tested it with two multiple displays and TV's from different manufacturers and the issue persists. Re-install of macOS didn't help either. AppleCare confirmed that the unit was DOA and instructed me to return it for a replacement as that would be quicker than a repair and they didn't want me to have a 'bad experience with the first Apple Silicon Macs on the market'. The replacement unit works flawlessly.

My advice: don't waste your time trying to troubleshoot as much as I did, just get a replacement as there's obviously a bad HDMI driver on some of these boards. I also should have trusted that my partner knew what they were talking about when they said that the display turned off during setup and wouldn't turn back on when she came back from her extended phone call...
What did Apple demand of you before agreeing to send a replacement? Or did you just return the bad one, and re-order? I hope it doesn’t take too long for you to get a working one!

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
I have the issue even without any USB devices/hubs plugged in.

As I said before, usb-c to DisplayPort will wake as expected, but the HDMI still doesn't work. I even have both HDMI and usbc plugged into the same monitor with macOS set to duplicate the screens and the HDMI still doesn't work after a sleep despite the usbc/displayport connection working (aside from the washed out)
I think Apple has some hdmi issues with the new Mac mini and Big Sur. I have been unable to connect my older monitors via the hdmi connection at all. The computer properly identifies the monitor and resolution but won’t display video to it. I have had two calls with apple tech support to gather data on the issue.

Ultron

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020

That's interesting. I also have this problem on my HDMI port where the monitor occasionally wouldn't come back alive after waking up from sleep. I thought this was a software issue, but it sounds like it's hardware related based on your experience. I guess I should return mine too. :(

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
That's interesting. I also have this problem on my HDMI port where the monitor occasionally wouldn't come back alive after waking up from sleep. I thought this was a software issue, but it sounds like it's hardware related based on your experience. I guess I should return mine too. :(
Not sure what the issue is yet but I am supposed to get another stays on the issue tomorrow

Ultron

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
Okay quick update on the wake from sleep issue--I went into settings last night and unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". I left my computer on so that it would go to sleep over night and when I woke up this morning, the monitor woke up along with my M1 Mac mini when I pressed on my keyboard.

Can someone else test this and see if it solved your problem? I'll continue to monitor this situation as well in case the problem comes back again.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 12.20.05 PM.png

Edit 1: I've had my computer fall asleep due to inactivity 3 times so far today and it has woken up my monitor successfully each time. Unless the problem returns again, this seems to be the solution to my sleep-wake issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: dredlew and jazz1

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
I have brand new M1 mini 8GB ram/512 Storage - have zero issues with sleep - in fact I don't have issues with bluetooth either. have Magic Mouse, Logitech MX3 (w/usb dongle attached), Logitech G903 wired attached and keychron k4 attached via usb, usb-c output to dell 2520D monitor display, oh and beats solo 3 bluetooth connected and zero issues with sleep/wake and disconnects.

All the mice are attached and working simultaneously as well, wake from sleep from Magic Mouse works just fine. only option in energy saver enabled is wake for network access.

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020
My M1 mini blanks the screen when I reboot. It’s connected via USB-C and wakes from sleep fine. It’s just when rebooting. The only way to make it connect is to unplug and replug the usb cable.
HDMI works fine, but doesn’t give me the screen resolution I want.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Okay quick update on the wake from sleep issue--I went into settings last night and unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". I left my computer on so that it would go to sleep over night and when I woke up this morning, the monitor woke up along with my M1 Mac mini when I pressed on my keyboard.

Can someone else test this and see if it solved your problem? I'll continue to monitor this situation as well in case the problem comes back again.

View attachment 1682824
Very interesting. On my non SSD Macs I usually check the “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” as I’m thinking it will save wear and tear on the HD. But with an SSD HD M1 does this matter?

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
My M1 mini blanks the screen when I reboot. It’s connected via USB-C and wakes from sleep fine. It’s just when rebooting. The only way to make it connect is to unplug and replug the usb cable.
HDMI works fine, but doesn’t give me the screen resolution I want.
I don't h ave this issue - it does blank the screen and make it without a signal detected but then it displays itself with the loading meter nearly finished then I get to the logon prompt.

Reactions: Mistercharlie

Ultron

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
Very interesting. On my non SSD Macs I usually check the “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” as I’m thinking it will save wear and tear on the HD. But with an SSD HD M1 does this matter?
An SSD does not have moving parts to put to sleep, so my understanding is that there is no benefit to having this feature turned on.

Even a HDD would be better off without being put to sleep often because it's stressful for it to constantly park and unpark the heads and spinning up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.