Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgib

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
Just experienced this issue this morning when I went to wake my M1 Mac mini from sleep. The only change between now and the last week was that I plugged in my Drobo via USB3 yesterday. I have a 4K display plugged in via HDMI, as well as an Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display plugged in via a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter. The other day, the Thunderbolt display didn't wake. In both cases, the only solution has been to restart the Mac.

neuts

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Yes, I have this issue too and saw weird colors (mostly pink) on the login. LG 34BL850-W using the TB3 connection has issues waking up. I also had the fun issue of having bluetooth devices also go weird at waking up. They would wake the computer and monitor, but then the log in screen would only get a couple of keystrokes and then lose the keyboard or mouse. A few times, wiggling the mouse or tapping keyboard would wake the monitor but not the computer. Not sure about that one. I moved the bluetooth devices back to usb and they have worked fine.

I switched the monitor back to an HDMI connection and it has been solid for almost a week. Not too happy as I can't use the USB ports on the monitor when using the HDMI cable and bluetooth issues. Ill wait for a few updates.

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Yes, I have this issue too and saw weird colors (mostly pink) on the login. LG 34BL850-W using the TB3 connection has issues waking up. I also had the fun issue of having bluetooth devices also go weird at waking up. They would wake the computer and monitor, but then the log in screen would only get a couple of keystrokes and then lose the keyboard or mouse. A few times, wiggling the mouse or tapping keyboard would wake the monitor but not the computer. Not sure about that one. I moved the bluetooth devices back to usb and they have worked fine.

I switched the monitor back to an HDMI connection and it has been solid for almost a week. Not too happy as I can't use the USB ports on the monitor when using the HDMI cable and bluetooth issues. Ill wait for a few updates.
I’m wondering if my Dell monitor #1 via HDMI will keep Dell monitor #2 from having wake from sleep issues? I guess Then the next challenge will be getting my non-Apple BT keyboard and mouse to work with or without the Logitech dongle/receiver. I don’t have much hope for that from what I’ve heard all over the Internet. I’ll find out once the MacMini finally arrives.

Last edited:

Ultron

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
Okay quick update on the wake from sleep issue--I went into settings last night and unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". I left my computer on so that it would go to sleep over night and when I woke up this morning, the monitor woke up along with my M1 Mac mini when I pressed on my keyboard.

Can someone else test this and see if it solved your problem? I'll continue to monitor this situation as well in case the problem comes back again.

View attachment 1682824

Edit 1: I've had my computer fall asleep due to inactivity 3 times so far today and it has woken up my monitor successfully each time. Unless the problem returns again, this seems to be the solution to my sleep-wake issue.

It was good while it lasted. The problem came back again.

Interestingly this time, I was not able to get my signal back on the monitor by unplugging the HDMI cable on the monitor side and plugging it back in. Instead, I had to unplug the HDMI on Mac mini's side and replug it. This further leads me to believe that there's something wrong with Mac mini's HDMI port or drivers.

Sorry I'm new to MacOS, but are there any system logs on MacOS that I can view to diagnose what's causing this?

• Sad
Reactions: dredlew

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
It was good while it lasted. The problem came back again.

Interestingly this time, I was not able to get my signal back on the monitor by unplugging the HDMI cable on the monitor side and plugging it back in. Instead, I had to unplug the HDMI on Mac mini's side and replug it. This further leads me to believe that there's something wrong with Mac mini's HDMI port or drivers.

Sorry I'm new to MacOS, but are there any system logs on MacOS that I can view to diagnose what's causing this?
The monitor I have has a ”eco” mode where it turns off power to USB ports in the monitor when the monitor goes to standby.

Just for the sake of testing, check if yours have that too and turn it off. Not saying it will fix your problem but it’s worth a try.

I never put my system to sleep, I might allow it to turn off my monitor but never sleep so I don’t know if I have this problem or not (at the end of the day I always turn my system off).

Ultron

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
The monitor I have has a ”eco” mode where it turns off power to USB ports in the monitor when the monitor goes to standby.

Just for the sake of testing, check if yours have that too and turn it off. Not saying it will fix your problem but it’s worth a try.

I never put my system to sleep, I might allow it to turn off my monitor but never sleep so I don’t know if I have this problem or not (at the end of the day I always turn my system off).
Good suggestion. My energy saver setting was off already, but I didn’t even think about that.

This is difficult to troubleshoot because I can’t reliably reproduce the phenomenon.

NikoBeaR

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
Please guys, don't tell me the Mac Mini M1 has problems with displays waking up from sleep. The 2012 was plagued with this for 8 years and I suffered through it. I don't want to go through the same thing again :(

KiPhish

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
I also have this issue on both M1 machines (mini and pro). I don't get the colored squares - the external display just fails to wake up with the computer. I will note that it's only present on usb C connections - whether it's direct to monitor or HDMI through a hub. The direct HDMI port on the mini works fine. I believe it's a software bug - not a hardware issue, so I haven't returned them.

Monitors are both very new ultrawides from Samsung and LG. I do hope Apple becomes aware of and addresses the issue by 11.1

lherron

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Same issue here. Two monitors connected to an M1 mini. Usually the HDMI one fails to wake, but occasionally the USBC one fails.

I looked for the "turn off hard drive" option in energy settings but didn't see that checkbox at all.

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Same issue with my M1 Mac mini which arrived yesterday. Coloured blocks on the login screen, although not every time. One time the coloured blocks carried onto the desktop and would flick on/off depending on window focus in Finder.
Just woke it from sleep, it auto-unlocked from my watch but I was greeted with white noise on the screen like an untuned analog TV. It wouldn't show a desktop no matter what, had to hold the power button and reboot.

Not happy.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I guess I’ll soon be joining the “club” my MacMini arrives next week. I don’t know how long I’ll put up with this issue with my intended Dell monitors. One will be HDMI, and the other USB-C.

Is anyone in the thread thinking about returning their computer to Apple due to this issue?

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Here's a video of the blocks on the desktop popping in and out as I move the cursor over the dock icons. Also, waking from sleep to a display of white noise.

It's being returned. :mad:

• Wow

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Here's a video of the blocks on the desktop popping in and out as I move the cursor over the dock icons. Also, waking from sleep to a display of white noise.

It's being returned. :mad:
I don’t blame you. Mine is on the way, but I’ll be extra careful in preserving the shipping box, for obvious reasons. Are you going for a replacement or refund? I guess if my MacMini fails me I may go for a M1 Macbook and forget using it with an external monitor (which actually was my original plan).

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
I don’t blame you. Mine is on the way, but I’ll be extra careful in preserving the shipping box, for obvious reasons. Are you going for a replacement or refund? I guess if my MacMini fails me I may go for a M1 Macbook and forget using it with an external monitor (which actually was my original plan).
Going for a refund. I might try again in the New Year, see if more people get these problems or if it's just a few unlucky ones.

Lichqueen

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't h ave this issue - it does blank the screen and make it without a signal detected but then it displays itself with the loading meter nearly finished then I get to the logon prompt.
I have same problem, but still keep blank screen after wait around 1 min, I need turn off and on the mon to get back the screen, hope this is software issue.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I have same problem, but still keep blank screen after wait around 1 min, I need turn off and on the mon to get back the screen, hope this is software issue.
I’m probably not going to add much to this particular discussion. But using two Dell monitors with my Intel based 2015 iMac I’m finding no montior wake-up issues with Big Sur. Also, using a third Dell USB-C monitor driven by my 2018 iPad Pro, I’m also not getting wake from sleep issues. So, hopefully there will be a software fix soon for the M1 Macs.

jacobli

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
I have run into the same issue with my Mac Mini M1 2020 (Big Sur) connected to Samsung TV via HDMI to HDMI cable. The issue is gone when using USB-C to HDMI cable.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
This has just started happening to me today. I've had the new M1 Mini for a week and it's been fine until now, but twice today I couldn't get the display to come back on. On both occasions I had to switch the power off on the Mini.

Plugging in a wired mouse didn't work, neither did unplugging the cable.

My keystrokes and trackpad movements were definitely registering because lots of apps had opened, and others had been moved or resized.

I'm on a single monitor, connected via HDMI.

Slightly concerning, as I don't want to have to power the machine off every time it goes to sleep. But that's been the only successful method for me so far.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
Happened again this morning. I'm going to contact Apple today as that's 3 times in a row now.

Ultron

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
I recently switched my monitor from Dell U2713HM to LG 34WL85C-B, and I no longer have this problem.

Previous setup:
Dell U2713HM [HDMI] ---- M1 Mac Mini [USB-C]
No energy saver enabled on the monitor
MacOS energy saver settings:
1607377893945.png

New setup:
LG 34WL85C-B [HDMI] --- M1 Mac mini [HDMI]
Smart energy saving enabled on the monitor--set to "Low"
MacOS energy saver settings: same as above

BlazerinEDH

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
My M1 (8gb/256) Mac mini doesn't seem to want to wake my displays after its been sleeping. I have tried with 2 different displays with 2 different HDMI cables with the same thing occurring on each one. I am currently only using one at a time. I also noticed some pink squares/graphics glitches on the Big Sur boot/log in screen (with the coloured background, not the black and white boot up)

I am going to leave it with the display set to never sleep for now to see if anything is different after leaving it for a while.

Any one else having similar issues? I don't have a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort to try currently.
I am having the exact same problems

airbatross

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU
My M1 mini blanks the screen when I reboot. It’s connected via USB-C and wakes from sleep fine. It’s just when rebooting. The only way to make it connect is to unplug and replug the usb cable.
HDMI works fine, but doesn’t give me the screen resolution I want.
I have the exact problem with Dell P2419HC. No wake problem once it's on with my Logitech MX Keys and Master 3 via Bluetooth.. But initially, when rebooting first time, it's blank and I have to replug cable.. Annoying as hell..

Dell says they will release a Mac version of Display Manager early 2021, so hoping it'll resolve the issue. I returned 2018 Mini 2 years ago for this reason after a week; hoping that M1 would've resolved the issue but nah.. USB-C to USB-C with Apple's own cable shouldn't have problems, I mean it's just a "hey turn on" signal to the display.. :d

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020
I have the exact problem with Dell P2419HC. No wake problem once it's on with my Logitech MX Keys and Master 3 via Bluetooth.. But initially, when rebooting first time, it's blank and I have to replug cable.. Annoying as hell..

Dell says they will release a Mac version of Display Manager early 2021, so hoping it'll resolve the issue. I returned 2018 Mini 2 years ago for this reason after a week; hoping that M1 would've resolved the issue but nah.. USB-C to USB-C with Apple's own cable shouldn't have problems, I mean it's just a "hey turn on" signal to the display.. :d
I’m a week into working with Apple Support on this, and they have engineers looking at it. In the meantime I’m connecting via a thunderbolt dock and displayport, which works fine.

AlteranX

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2019
When you have two monitors but only one wakes up from sleep:

System Preferences / Mission Control / De-Select “Displays have separate Spaces” / Log Out / Log In

This was driving me CRAZY!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.