Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BikGer2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2022
Hi there,

I know I could easily plug my 30W adapter into my Mac and stop writing this thread, but I've recently changed my setup a little, and I've had trouble routing the 2m long power cable in a way that looks nice. That's when I decided to try using a shorter 0.5m usb-a to usb-c cable to power my Mac directly from my display, however, my Mac says it's getting only 5w of power.

I've been using it for about 2 weeks like this, and haven't really noticed the battery draining while in use. The battery will occasionally drop by 2-4% when I leave it unplugged overnight, and I'm not sure if I would blame this on power. I'm really surprised the machine can run off only 5w of power, but then again, it seems a bit suspicious since a 5w brick will struggle charging an iPhone that's being used. Admittedly, it does take 10+ hours to charge.

My concern: is this bad for the battery?

Just for context, I use my Mac in clamshell mode.

Thanks in advance

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Hi there,

I know I could easily plug my 30W adapter into my Mac and stop writing this thread, but I've recently changed my setup a little, and I've had trouble routing the 2m long power cable in a way that looks nice. That's when I decided to try using a shorter 0.5m usb-a to usb-c cable to power my Mac directly from my display, however, my Mac says it's getting only 5w of power.

I've been using it for about 2 weeks like this, and haven't really noticed the battery draining while in use. The battery will occasionally drop by 2-4% when I leave it unplugged overnight, and I'm not sure if I would blame this on power. I'm really surprised the machine can run off only 5w of power, but then again, it seems a bit suspicious since a 5w brick will struggle charging an iPhone that's being used. Admittedly, it does take 10+ hours to charge.

My concern: is this bad for the battery?

Just for context, I use my Mac in clamshell mode.

Thanks in advance
Probably it’s due to the mac use lower power when in clamshell mode. I tried using MBA with 12w charger few times, the battery level is remain flat if I use the laptop.

Reactions: BikGer2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.