Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
My personal experience, which may differ from others, is that Caldigit docks are not good in terms of being reliable when your laptop sleeps/wakes up. My TS3+ was in the closet for 1y+ years due to endless issues with it. Reviews on Amazon for other Caldigit docks report similar issues. Wavlink and Cablematters have been rock solid for me.

Cablematters makes a 96w 14-in-1 TB3 dock that would charge your 16" M1, although not at 'fast charge' speeds.
Thank You. I will check out the Cablematters dock. For work I have a startech dock, not a fan.

EMc00

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Same as with the MbP 16’2020, the only TB docks with dual monitor support and PD > 96W are the Kensington SD5600T and the CalDigit USB-C HDMI Dock

Wolf359SD

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Same as with the MbP 16’2020, the only TB docks with dual monitor support and PD > 96W are the Kensington SD5600T and the CalDigit USB-C HDMI Dock

Physically, the Pluggable 14-in-1, Cablematters 14-in-1, and that Kensington appear to be the exact same just different retail branding. My guess is there's a single Chinese manufacturer and it's resold under different brands. Not saying that's bad....I have the Cablematters version. Note that one review site (WindowsCentral) and several on Amazon say the Kensington SD5600T is horrifically unreliable. One Amazon review even mentioned it's identical to the Pluggable 14-in-1, which from that user's perspective is both cheaper and actually works. So apparently the re-branded versions use different firmware and some are more stable than others.

Last edited:

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Looks like there is also a TB 4 version of said Kensington, the SD5700T. Seems ok, however, some report the device suffers from coil whine.

Any comments?

SirWill

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Does anyone know if it's possible to run two displays from a single thunderbolt dock or usb-c hub? I'm unable to do this with an HP G2 docking station. (I was hoping to avoid using DisplayLink.) I currently run one monitor in portrait and one in landscape. I can get this two work on my new M1 Pro, but I have to use 2 x TB ports (or 1 x TB and 1 x HDMI). I'd be happy to ditch the HP G2 for a different dock or hub, but I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the dock or the machine. If anyone more knowledgeable in this area could help me save some time and money experimenting, I'd greatly appreciate it. And sorry to call on the goodwill of the community, especially as a new member.
Can I ask why avoid DisplayLink?

Wolf359SD

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Can I ask why avoid DisplayLink?

DisplayLink is a "hack" and not native to the OS. Unless you are backed into a corner, like using a M1 MacBook air, with a hardware limitation of 1 external display, I'd avoid Displaylink at all costs. For the M1 Pro/Max that natively support dual high-res external monitors, go with a full hardware based solution like a TB3 dock or TB3 dongles.

Reactions: jkmard

ururk

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
In my case, it simply won't connect to two displays, even when I'm connected to the downstream thunderbolt port and one display port. I know these docs are finicky, though, or at least that's the impression I've got from browsing this and other forums. It worked (though not perfectly smoothly) with my 16" Intel MBP, but not at all with my 14" MBP.
Did you find a solution? This configuration used to work for me with my 13" Intel MBP. With my 14" MBP, it no longer works. One display is connected via DisplayPort, the other the downstream Thunderbolt port to HDMI using an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Does anyone know if it's possible to run two displays from a single thunderbolt dock or usb-c hub? I'm unable to do this with an HP G2 docking station. (I was hoping to avoid using DisplayLink.) I currently run one monitor in portrait and one in landscape. I can get this two work on my new M1 Pro, but I have to use 2 x TB ports (or 1 x TB and 1 x HDMI). I'd be happy to ditch the HP G2 for a different dock or hub, but I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the dock or the machine. If anyone more knowledgeable in this area could help me save some time and money experimenting, I'd greatly appreciate it. And sorry to call on the goodwill of the community, especially as a new member.
I'm using the OWC TB4 dock with two monitors attached - one with USB-C to DisplayPort to a 4k monitor and one with a USB-C cable (specifically OWC TB4 cable) to a USB-C 1440p monitor. It supposedly provides 96W and that seems to be the case, I haven't done any tests but it charges my 14" very quickly, so while it won't fast charge a 16" it should provide the full amount of TB4/USB-C power. I haven't tested it with any external drives plugged in for extended periods, but there don't seem to be any issues with the monitors.

jkmard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
Did you find a solution? This configuration used to work for me with my 13" Intel MBP. With my 14" MBP, it no longer works. One display is connected via DisplayPort, the other the downstream Thunderbolt port to HDMI using an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.
Unfortunately, no. For now, I'm using a dongle as a workaround.
I'm using the OWC TB4 dock with two monitors attached - one with USB-C to DisplayPort to a 4k monitor and one with a USB-C cable (specifically OWC TB4 cable) to a USB-C 1440p monitor. It supposedly provides 96W and that seems to be the case, I haven't done any tests but it charges my 14" very quickly, so while it won't fast charge a 16" it should provide the full amount of TB4/USB-C power. I haven't tested it with any external drives plugged in for extended periods, but there don't seem to be any issues with the monitors.
This will likely be my next purchase.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Is your dock the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2?

ururk

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Is your dock the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2?
Yes, the 120W version. I searched for a firmware upgrade, drivers (ha, good luck finding any!). Supposedly there are complaints concerning PC's behaving the same way, so it's not just limited to macs.

I even tried plugging in two DP cables, got the same picture on both screens. I'm trying to find the Apple USB adapter I used to use at the office - I'm wondering if the one I tested with was broken... the other thought I had... perhaps the connector needed to be flipped. I know, I know... makes no sense - but it's something to try at least.

It's a bummer as it is a nice, compact dock and served me well for nearly 5 years.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, the 120W version. I searched for a firmware upgrade, drivers (ha, good luck finding any!). Supposedly there are complaints concerning PC's behaving the same way, so it's not just limited to macs.

I even tried plugging in two DP cables, got the same picture on both screens. I'm trying to find the Apple USB adapter I used to use at the office - I'm wondering if the one I tested with was broken... the other thought I had... perhaps the connector needed to be flipped. I know, I know... makes no sense - but it's something to try at least.

It's a bummer as it is a nice, compact dock and served me well for nearly 5 years.
I tried it on my HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with one display connected to DisplayPort and the other connected to Thunderbolt (using an Intel Mac mini 2018) just to make sure it wasn't broken like yours. For the Thunderbolt port, I'm using a Cable Matter USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter.

At first the display connected to the Thunderbolt port did not connect until I disconnected it and reconnected it again. This problem does not always happen though.

ururk

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I tried it on my HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with one display connected to DisplayPort and the other connected to Thunderbolt (using an Intel Mac mini 2018) just to make sure it wasn't broken like yours. For the Thunderbolt port, I'm using a Cable Matter USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter.

At first the display connected to the Thunderbolt port did not connect until I disconnected it and reconnected it again. This problem does not always happen though.
Good to know - I know with my dock ONLY the Apple USB AV adapter would work - I tried a bunch of other USB-C adapters and none of them worked. I also wonder if it could be because of the type of HDMI cable, though that seems unlikely.

ururk

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Found a weird USB-C to HDMI adapter - plugged into the Thunderbolt port on the G2 dock - it works! It's a:

4K@60Hz USB Type C To HDMI Cable 1.8m/6ft Macbook Pro USB C To HDMI Cord

I copied that from the website, not sure if that's what I have but the design of the housing matches.

So... one Thunderbolt cable into my M1 Pro -> two extended displays (one via DisplayPort from the dock, the other via Thunderbolt from the dock over a USB-C->HDMI adapter).

Here's my system profiler report:

Code:
Apple M1 Pro:
  Chipset Model:    Apple M1 Pro
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    Built-In
  Total Number of Cores:    16
  Vendor:    Apple (0x106b)
  Metal Family:    Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7
  Displays:
Color LCD:
  Display Type:    Built-in Liquid Retina XDR Display
  Resolution:    3024 x 1964 Retina
  Main Display:    Yes
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:    No
  Connection Type:    Internal
S27D850:
  Resolution:    2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)
  UI Looks like:    2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz
  Rotation:    Supported
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:    Yes
S27D850:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Found a weird USB-C to HDMI adapter - plugged into the Thunderbolt port on the G2 dock - it works! It's a:

4K@60Hz USB Type C To HDMI Cable 1.8m/6ft Macbook Pro USB C To HDMI Cord

I copied that from the website, not sure if that's what I have but the design of the housing matches.

So... one Thunderbolt cable into my M1 Pro -> two extended displays (one via DisplayPort from the dock, the other via Thunderbolt from the dock over a USB-C->HDMI adapter).

Here's my system profiler report:

Code:
Apple M1 Pro:
  Chipset Model:    Apple M1 Pro
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    Built-In
  Total Number of Cores:    16
  Vendor:    Apple (0x106b)
  Metal Family:    Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7
  Displays:
Color LCD:
  Display Type:    Built-in Liquid Retina XDR Display
  Resolution:    3024 x 1964 Retina
  Main Display:    Yes
  Automatically Adjust Brightness:    No
  Connection Type:    Internal
S27D850:
S27D850:
If you connect the USB-C to HDMI cable to an Intel Mac and run AGDCDiagnose, we may be able to see what chip it uses.

Do you remember what HDMI adapter didn't work from the Thunderbolt port of the dock? Did it not work from any Thunderbolt port?

I know if you use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter and connect a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (passive means DisplayPort Dual Mode or DP++) then it won't work since the USB-C to DisplayPort adapter won't have DP++ support.

ururk

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
If you connect the USB-C to HDMI cable to an Intel Mac and run AGDCDiagnose, we may be able to see what chip it uses.

Do you remember what HDMI adapter didn't work from the Thunderbolt port of the dock? Did it not work from any Thunderbolt port?

I know if you use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter and connect a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (passive means DisplayPort Dual Mode or DP++) then it won't work since the USB-C to DisplayPort adapter won't have DP++ support.
I tried a generic (not sure which brand) USB-C->HDMI adapter, didn't work

I tried the official AppleDigital AV USB-C -> HDMI adapter, didn't work

I don't have any USB-C->DisplayPort adapters on hand, we probably have one or two floating around. However, the monitor supports DisplayPort, so I could technically connect directly from a USB-C->DisplayPort adapter.

I will try to run that utility against the USB-C->HDMI cable this week... if not it might not be for a while.

aggy

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2021
I am a bit lost with all the previous messages.
In case you want to have 2 external monitors on a MBP 16 with M1 MAX what are the only docking stations that currently support that without issues and other forum members have already verified?
Ideally a docking station that is based on Thunderbolt 4 which also has DP/HDMI outputs sounds like a good candidate.

noisecoalition

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
Do you use it in clamshell mode by any chance? Wondering if you’ve been able to consistently wake from sleep via mouse or keyboard.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Do you use it in clamshell mode by any chance? Wondering if you’ve been able to consistently wake from sleep via mouse or keyboard.
I don't, sorry. I used it clamshell one time basically, plugged into my TV, so limited experience but it seemed to wake up fine.

NarcoMaine

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Has anybody tried the Razer Thunderbolt 4 doc with two 4K60 monitors? I am getting conflicting answers as to whether this is possible.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Has anybody tried the Razer Thunderbolt 4 doc with two 4K60 monitors? I am getting conflicting answers as to whether this is possible.
Not yet. Its on the way though... however, according to the specs it should be able to handle 2x4k@60. If not, I'll find out soon (and its going back in case it can't)

Last edited:
Reactions: NarcoMaine

streamtech

macrumors member
I am a bit lost with all the previous messages.
In case you want to have 2 external monitors on a MBP 16 with M1 MAX what are the only docking stations that currently support that without issues and other forum members have already verified?
Ideally a docking station that is based on Thunderbolt 4 which also has DP/HDMI outputs sounds like a good candidate.

I'm running the MBP 16 Max 32 with a Caldigit USBC-Pro hub (display port). Although this is Thunderbolt 3; its working perfectly so far in the week what I have had it with two external 4k monitors attached, a WD Passport external drive, Ethernet cable and external speakers connected. I'm running the laptop in clamshell mode.

I am also relying on this to charge my laptop, which hasn't been an issue even though its only rated at 85 watts I think.

It should be noted that I am not into video editing, so I don't know what would happen if I pushed the machine really hard. Perhaps I would have to plug in Apple's charging brick.

This device made sense financially as it is a re-conditioned unit from the Caldigit store.

Reactions: aggy and NarcoMaine

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Not yet. Its on the way though... however, according to the specs it should be able to handle 2x4k@60. If not, I'll find out soon (and its going back in case it can't)
@NarcoMaine: I can report: yes, its working. Monitors do sometimes fail to wake up though. Ethernet port isn‘t working on Macs (require driver for Windows). Therefore its going back

Reactions: NarcoMaine

NarcoMaine

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
@NarcoMaine: I can report: yes, its working. Monitors do sometimes fail to wake up though. Ethernet port isn‘t working on Macs (require driver for Windows). Therefore its going back
Thank you for confirming. Does the dock use DisplayLink? Was the Ethernet issue confirmed by support? They do advertise the dock as being "for Mac", so that's weird.

Here's a report of the Ethernet port working fine:

I have a 14" MacBook Pro with 64GB RAM, 2 TB drive and the M1 Max processor. I actually have it connected to both a Razer Thunderbolt 4 dock from a right side port and a OWC Thunderbolt 4 Hub on the other, each connected to a 4K monitor. Everything works great - all ports on the dock and hub work and no problem with the ethernet from the Razer or USB on the OWC.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.