Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
No, it does not use DisplayLink, its Thunderbolt 4. There are 2 version of the dock, one is advertised as „for Mac“. Unfortunately this is not available over here in Europe, so I went with the standard „Dock Chroma“.
It has not been confirmed by support (good luck getting support at my location), but since it does require a driver for Windows (which is not available for Mac) I take it as given its not working. I could even live with that; however, the displays waking up just every so often is a no-go for me

NarcoMaine

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
No, it does not use DisplayLink, its Thunderbolt 4.
Those are not mutually exclusive - it can still use DisplayLink via TB4 to drive the second display.

In the thread I linked, some people are using the Chroma version too, and Ethernet does work.
So the displays wake up by themselves, or fail to wake up when you need them to?

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I use a Startech TB3DK2DPPD. 85w PD and run 2 monitors. Can be found quite cheaply on Ebay for those on a budget.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Those are not mutually exclusive - it can still use DisplayLink via TB4 to drive the second display.

In the thread I linked, some people are using the Chroma version too, and Ethernet does work.
So the displays wake up by themselves, or fail to wake up when you need them to?
Interesting… they fail to wake up when the Mac does

nhtshot

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
Overland Park, KS
14" M1 Max

Dell WD19TB
EZQuest USB-C to DisplayPort 4K 60Hz cable

2x 1440P monitors. One connected via displayport, one via the USB-C to Displayport cable.

Works great, charges, ethernet works, audio works, USB ports works. Haven't had a problem with displays coming online either.

ben-r

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Sorry to bump an "oldish" thread, but I figured this was the most relevant to my question.

I'm considering purchasing the Razer Thunderbolt 4 Dock - Mercury Ed (silver, non-Chroma) for use with a 2021 MacBook Pro 14 M1 Pro and wanted to know if I can use three external monitors with it. Two would be 1080P and one is 2560x1600. No 4K monitors. All monitors would be connected to the dock via USB-C to HDMI/DisplayPort/Dual-Link DVI adapters. Anyone know if that setup will work?

I've also submitted a help ticket with Razer to ask them, but I figured I'd get another line out there just in case someone has already tried this.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Does anyone know if it's possible to run two displays from a single thunderbolt dock or usb-c hub? I'm unable to do this with an HP G2 docking station. (I was hoping to avoid using DisplayLink.) I currently run one monitor in portrait and one in landscape. I can get this two work on my new M1 Pro, but I have to use 2 x TB ports (or 1 x TB and 1 x HDMI). I'd be happy to ditch the HP G2 for a different dock or hub, but I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the dock or the machine. If anyone more knowledgeable in this area could help me save some time and money experimenting, I'd greatly appreciate it. And sorry to call on the goodwill of the community, especially as a new member.

Might this do the trick...?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Might this do the trick...?

Thunderbolt to Dual DisplayPort adapters were mentioned at #18
Such adapters are just stripped down Thunderbolt docks.
The HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 should have worked but something about the M1 Macs doesn't like it?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I saw this quoted above "A USB-C hub can't do two displays for macOS since macOS does not support MST for multiple displays" but then see this USB-C hub claiming otherwise and marketing directly at Mac - https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-dual-4k-hdmi-10-in-1-usb-c-hub - so I wonder if the hub is really Thunderbolt or if Mac-OS now accommodates MST?
Read the amazon description more closely. Also, don't ask the same question in multiple threads, at least until you've waited a couple days.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...o-four-with-m1-max-chip.2317556/post-31278727

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.