Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
There’s a difference between big profits and successive record profits every quarter. The latter is the problem here (and Apple is just one small example in this).

Apple has had fallen revenue for a lot of quarters now. 2023 wasn't a good year for Apple financially.

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
I can’t speak for MrGimper, but this is one example of many where Apple thinks of profits first and users second.

64 GB base iPhone
64 GB base iPad
8/256 base Mac
10th Gen iPad Pencil workaround
FineWoven accessories
Gimping features like this (after users have bought DisplayLink solutions for monitors)

I have now problems with these (pencils I have no experience with).

My 128Gb iPhone has 71Gb free. My iPads are so old that I think they might have only 32Gb. They're fine.
My M2 13" MacBook Air has 256Gb SSD and it has 104 Gb free and I even use a Windows virtual machine.

Most of the base model has been fine for me for several years now.

• Haha

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I have now problems with these (pencils I have no experience with).

My 128Gb iPhone has 71Gb free. My iPads are so old that I think they might have only 32Gb. They're fine.
My M2 13" MacBook Air has 256Gb SSD and it has 104 Gb free and I even use a Windows virtual machine.

Most of the base model has been fine for me for several years now.
I'm betting you aren't doing iPadOS updates? My 64GB iPad Air 4th Gen has a problem every time now doing an update despite having 16GB free.

Klagarde

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2022
Eindhoven, Nederland

Apple is planning a software update that will add multi-display support to the 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro model, the company confirmed to 9to5Mac. The M3 MacBook Air models that were introduced today include support for up to two 5K external displays when used in clamshell mode, a feature that is not currently available on the 14-inch MacBook Pro with the same M3 chip.

m3-macbook-pro-blue.jpg

With the two machines using the same M3 chip, it was not clear why the MacBook Air has the feature while the MacBook Pro does not, but it is an issue that Apple plans to rectify. In the near future, a software update will add the option for the 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro to drive two external displays when the lid of the machine is closed.

Both the M3 MacBook Air and the M3 MacBook Pro offer support for one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz when the display is open, and with the update, the M3 MacBooks will also be able to power two 5K external displays with a resolution of up to 60Hz. That is equivalent to the Studio Display, so users can expect to be able to run two of Apple's 5K displays in clamshell mode.

The higher-end M3 Pro and M3 Max MacBook Pro models are already able to drive multiple displays, so this change only applies to the 14-inch MacBook Pro that has the M3 chip. This machine replaced the prior-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro, which Apple has now done away with.

Article Link: M3 MacBook Pro to Get Multi-Display Support With Software Update
F U Apple, so there is no hardware decision to not do this. I made a different buying decision a few months ago because m3 wasn't capable for my purpose.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Apple probably didn't implement the feature in software because no one specified it during the development of those Macs. It wasn't a requirement.

Probably Apple got a lot of feedback on supporting more monitors and thus decided to implement a workaround by adding code to support it.
stop spreading false news. These SoCs and Macbooks were thought of long before you even bought your first Apple product. You do realise Macbooks have been around for ages. You make it like its a new product.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

bigheaddoug

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
Maybe this will be like Stage Manager for the iPad Pro, where they said older models wouldn't get it but backtracked.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020

Apple is planning a software update that will add multi-display support to the 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro model, the company confirmed to 9to5Mac. The M3 MacBook Air models that were introduced today include support for up to two 5K external displays when used in clamshell mode, a feature that is not currently available on the 14-inch MacBook Pro with the same M3 chip.

m3-macbook-pro-blue.jpg

With the two machines using the same M3 chip, it was not clear why the MacBook Air has the feature while the MacBook Pro does not, but it is an issue that Apple plans to rectify. In the near future, a software update will add the option for the 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro to drive two external displays when the lid of the machine is closed.

Both the M3 MacBook Air and the M3 MacBook Pro offer support for one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz when the display is open, and with the update, the M3 MacBooks will also be able to power two 5K external displays with a resolution of up to 60Hz. That is equivalent to the Studio Display, so users can expect to be able to run two of Apple's 5K displays in clamshell mode.

The higher-end M3 Pro and M3 Max MacBook Pro models are already able to drive multiple displays, so this change only applies to the 14-inch MacBook Pro that has the M3 chip. This machine replaced the prior-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro, which Apple has now done away with.

Article Link: M3 MacBook Pro to Get Multi-Display Support With Software Update
… otherwise they would have had to remove „Pro“ designator

• Haha

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
I have to think that if Tim Cook were to read this forum, he would be thinking "Note to self, never enable any new features after initial device specification, as it isn't worth the complaints."

Welcome to MacRumors... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Reactions: mrBeach and djc6

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
Smells like new display on the roof this year…
Maybe new Apple Pro XDR with 2*TB3 Display Connect.
Ah no wait. We need M4 pro with TB 5 at least…

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
My Surface Go from like 4 years ago can handle 2 screens and its own touchscreen (plus power, monitor, keyboard, etc) with just one cable.

An M1 absolutely could, if Apple wanted to implement it.
What cable are you using? I quite like my Surface Go, but I can't imagine it running multiple screens without lagging... now you have me wanting to test it!

harold.ji

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2022
So M3 Pro MacBook Pro 16" remains to support only two external displays even it could do three?
Highly likely. According to tech specifications, Mac mini with M2 Pro can actually connect to 3 external displays, two through thunderbolts and the other one through HDMI. However, bandwidth limitations do exist for M2 Pro, so the refresh rates are all limited to 60Hz. If you want to unlock higher refresh rates, the number of supported external displays are reduced immediately. So really an add-on feature.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
so they just discovered a "magical" and "courageous" way of enabling this? What a clown show ...
probably not....

FYI @Nautilus007 , @hardwickj , @fenderbass146 , @Sheepish-Lord

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.