Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Proofs that Apple is restricting features intentionally. Stagemanager 3.0.
Is that so? Couldn't possibly be that there were engineering nuances that they hadn't worked out yet at the time of M3's launch that prevented them from supporting it at the time.

There is literally ZERO reason for them to withhold a feature like this and then add it later. Zero. If they want to withhold it to create artificial segmentation, then you don't add it later. They simply hadn't worked it out yet on the M3 a few months ago, and they made sure it was ready by the time the M3 Air launched.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
That reflects a lot on you then. I’m 200% happy with my switch, focal Bathys headphones and my lg b9 tv….

What I meant is that, if being objective, it’s hard to not some sort of nitpick about basically anything.
Even if it’s tiny, it’s technically knocking things down from 100%

I’d always personally cap out at 99%, just to be truthful

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
So M3 Pro MacBook Pro 16" remains to support only two external displays even it could do three?
This is what I want to know. I removed my 3rd display and put my 16" M3 Pro in its place to maintain a third display. If I could remount my old display and tuck this in a corner, that would be superb.

Reactions: harold.ji

Black0ut21

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015

Apple is planning a software update that will add multi-display support to the 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro model, the company confirmed to 9to5Mac. The M3 MacBook Air models that were introduced today include support for up to two 5K external displays when used in clamshell mode, a feature that is not currently available on the 14-inch MacBook Pro with the same M3 chip.

m3-macbook-pro-blue.jpg

With the two machines using the same M3 chip, it was not clear why the MacBook Air has the feature while the MacBook Pro does not, but it is an issue that Apple plans to rectify. In the near future, a software update will add the option for the 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro to drive two external displays when the lid of the machine is closed.

Both the M3 MacBook Air and the M3 MacBook Pro offer support for one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz when the display is open, and with the update, the M3 MacBooks will also be able to power two 5K external displays with a resolution of up to 60Hz. That is equivalent to the Studio Display, so users can expect to be able to run two of Apple's 5K displays in clamshell mode.

The higher-end M3 Pro and M3 Max MacBook Pro models are already able to drive multiple displays, so this change only applies to the 14-inch MacBook Pro that has the M3 chip. This machine replaced the prior-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro, which Apple has now done away with.

Article Link: M3 MacBook Pro to Get Multi-Display Support With Software Update
So lets hope some one hacks this to give more monitor

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Can we please get two displays through one USB-C cable (docking station)? That would be even better. Windows PCs can do that. Really surprised a Mac can’t.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
My Surface Go from like 4 years ago can handle 2 screens and its own touchscreen (plus power, monitor, keyboard, etc) with just one cable.

An M1 absolutely could, if Apple wanted to implement it.
I also have a Surface Go. The two monitors on my desk right now are the Studio Display and Pro Display XDR. The Surface go can't drive either, at native resolution/scaling. M3 Air can tho.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Do you actually have to put the laptop in clamshell mode to use the two external monitors, or can you just disable the laptop screen in the monitor settings? I believe these machines suck in some of their air through the keyboard deck, so it'd be advantageous to keep that cooling capability if possible.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
The M3Pro is still limited to 2 displays when it would be nice to have 3 (or 4 like we had before with intel).
Do you mean 3 displays? If they put the M3 Pro in a mini or studio it will absolutely be able to handle 3 external displays.

I hope Apple eventually extends this update so that EVERY M3 era chip can drive the Max number of displays it has drivers for in clamshell mode.
👍

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Do you actually have to put the laptop in clamshell mode to use the two external monitors, or can you just disable the laptop screen in the monitor settings? I believe these machines suck in some of their air through the keyboard deck, so it'd be advantageous to keep that cooling capability if possible.
Close the lid. Apple has an image of it like this in their marketing material for the M3 Air.

• Angry

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Now do three for the M3Pro in clamshell... I use either one or three. Using two monitors with a bezel right in the middle of your field of view is something I avoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: rishey

bnumerick

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
Can we please get two displays through one USB-C cable (docking station)? That would be even better. Windows PCs can do that. Really surprised a Mac can’t.
I run 2 studio displays through 1 cable (along with a 10Gb ethernet and a bunch of other ports).

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
My understanding was that the non-Pro M SoCs had two display controllers, and two wires: on the Mac mini, both go straight to ports on the back, whereas on the MacBooks and iMac, one goes to the internal display, and the other to the ports.
My understanding was that there is driving hardware to output DisplayPort protocol, and it could do so to the DisplayPort-linked screen, over USB-C, or to the HDMI circuitry. The baseline Mx chip has capacity to drive two DisplayPort streams.

I don't know whether this is a DisplayPort signal going to the USB-C circuitry (it's all inside the SoC after all). It could be that the reason for hardware at all is to deal with nonsense like video copy protection.

So I don't think we have ever had a definitive answer as to whether the M1/M2 laptops had a hard-wired binding to the laptop screen for one of the two, but it certainly appears the M3 does not.

Presumably, the M3 still only has two display controllers. But, perhaps they added a third wiring: one port is always connected, and either the internal display or the other port is connected. But for the fall MBP with M3 release, they hadn't finished the firmware in time to actually dynamically switch between the two whenever the lid closes or is opened.
There's a behavioral decision too - when I open my laptop with two screens attached, does a random screen go away or does the laptop screen stay dark?

zilchfox

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Sucks, however, for anyone who, justifiably, thought there was a legitimate hardware limitation to blame and decided to spend another $400+ to get a M3 Pro MacBook Pro or M3 Max MacBook Pro over the baseline $1599 M3 MacBook Pro just to drive two external displays.

Further proof that all M3 chips are the same at their core, "forcing" Apple to software block certain features that come with every tier of M3 if you don't pay to get something better than the baseline, plain M3.
Sure, it sucks, but you’re also buying for what you need in the moment, and at the time, the M3 didn’t support it. There’s not much you can really do about that.

• Angry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.