Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosaiko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Italy - Bologna
Regarding the drives an 800K and two 2Mb where i suspected broken heads, the real fact differently where an interrupted capacitor behind the flat connector in the 51W, a blocked stepper motor and yes only in one drive a broken heads where someone probably moving badly the flat in and out crack it. (repair it is possible.. but i leave it there.. ^_^)

For the 400K someone asked me the little gear as replacement and that produced to solve the eject motor problem; i post here the pictures of 3 gear i produce yesterday for a guy to repair their drive; if someone want these gears i can produce them with the system i used (not 3D printing as by the guy inspired by the post).. to me are good, hard, strong and after some period of test also durable :) ; PM me if you need these gears.

To me both drive SONY 400K,800K or 2Mb have electronic and mechanism fully reparable; i tried to work a tests for the alignment also over 3 drive 800K; it took me some time playing with the align sensor and the step motor but all goes well with the perfect reading of the track zero.

Attachments

• IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5222.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Foto 14-12-15, 17 44 04.jpg
    Foto 14-12-15, 17 44 04.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Foto 14-12-15, 17 45 39.jpg
    Foto 14-12-15, 17 45 39.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

maczo

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
Italy
Very good job mosaiko, it's always a pleasure to see these old floppy drives coming back to life!!

About the gears, you said that your are not 3D printed. I'm curious, can you tell me how do you make them? I tried with molding in the past, but the new gears were fragile due to air bubbles forming inside the material.

Thank you!

EDIT: I added the images of the gears I got 3D printed from Shapeways...
In the third photo you can see 3 gears, from the left: my faulty attempt with molding, the 3D printed one, the original one.

(also you can see my rubber mold!)

EDIT2: I've not yet stressed the 3D printed gears for sturdiness!

Attachments

• DSCN5078-800x800.JPG
    DSCN5078-800x800.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN5094-800x800.JPG
    DSCN5094-800x800.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN5098-800x800.JPG
    DSCN5098-800x800.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN5101-800x800.JPG
    DSCN5101-800x800.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

mosaiko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Italy - Bologna
Very good job mosaiko, it's always a pleasure to see these old floppy drives coming back to life!!

About the gears, you said that your are not 3D printed. I'm curious, can you tell me how do you make them? I tried with molding in the past, but the new gears were fragile due to air bubbles forming inside the material.

Thank you!

EDIT: I added the images of the gears I got 3D printed from Shapeways...
In the third photo you can see 3 gears, from the left: my faulty attempt with molding, the 3D printed one, the original one.

(also you can see my rubber mold!)

EDIT2: I've not yet stressed the 3D printed gears for sturdiness!

I Maczo! :)

The gear i do are based on my know how on resins; probably you obtain bubble into the molded pieces for different reasons, can be for the tool fast time of polymerization or high viscosity of the compound; the ones i do are absolutely not fragile, are really hard, after more attempts now i do them same as the original and no bubble inside.
Next year i'll invest some money on 3D as well but for now what i can produce to me is even better; i already repair a lot of mechanism and all goes fine. To me the price of 17.88 € that is been fixed by Shapeways sounds really too high, this is the reason i offer my gear to who need them; i ask some euros for the needed time in the process that you well know ^_^

by the way.. have a great 2016!.. here in Italy there are now the last 3 hours of 2015.. ^_^

Cheers,
Michele
(Flowers in other forums)

Last edited:

maczo

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
Italy
Thank you Michele for your offer of gears, I will ask you if the Shapeways one will fail. You are right, Shapeways gears price is very high, and I am not even sure about their quality yet. I've not tried them extensively. Probably you can see in the photo that I posted that one of the tooth is defective, too (top right, two teeth are "closer to each other" - or maybe bigger).
The material of the teeth appears to be not as solid as the central part of the gear. So, only time will tell if they last. Your gears are actually more similar to the original and that's a good thing!
About the resin, I read a lot about stirring and not shaking with merging the two components to avoid bubbles. Others said to warm the mix or other voodoo-like rituals. Eventually I gave up. Then I found Shapeways.

Wish you a Happy new year too!! (I'm also from Italy)!!
Enrico

PS have a look at my other thread "AFDT 0.3 Released" you might find it useful

mosaiko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Italy - Bologna
Sounds perfect :)

If you send me a PM i can gift you a gear .. so you can do a comparison... ;)
Enjoy the end and beginning of this new year and talk with you soon!

Ciao
Michele

P I'll read it for sure.. :)

maczo

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
Italy
Thank you for your very kind offer! I think I'll consider getting a batch from you now that Shapeways gears are so pricey (maybe also for the USD raising over EUR lately!).

By the way, what kind of grease/lubricant do you recommend for those gears (if any is needed at all)?

mosaiko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Italy - Bologna
you are welcome maczo! :) send me PM sure.

As lubricant/grease I use for gears Teflon spry and/or a little drop of clear vaseline oil; or the so called sewing machine oil that you can get with a couple of euros in any supermarket; if you prefer the grease ( that i do not use for these gears) you can consider a transparent vaseline grease as well.. but to me this is likely more for screws then mechanism gears.

Last edited:

mosaiko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Italy - Bologna
I'm using Svitol Silikon Spray, which is plastic-safe. What do you think of it?

http://www.svitol.it/en/products/svitol-technik-en/silikon-spray

Also, what do you use on mechanical parts of the floppy drive?

Thank you
-YEs is really good as the Silicon is an inert it will never corrupt the plastic; for the mechanical parts after a good clean with WD40 i do not put back any grease; i see that the drive works well without anything back that can do again a bad dust mix blocking or slowing the mechanism.

mosaiko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Italy - Bologna
to everyone that look for the gear i did and that are steel working today; you can search on ebay for my listing where i'm identified as fiori71

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.