Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
Regarding the standing desk, I'd opt for the Flexispot E7 Plus. It's about the same price, but it has four legs and is extremely stable--there is minimal wobble, even when raised 5+ feet. It can also hold up to 540 lbs, so it's rock-solid.
Flexispot E7 Plus

I have an Uplift (two legs) and Evodesk (4 legs and much larger). Both are quite stable but I agree one should lean toward four legs for stability.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
It's actually easier to go from a single monitor to 3 monitors because you can continue to do the bulk of your work looking straight ahead instead of slightly to the left or right. If you prefer 2 monitors, I still suggest keeping your primary monitor straight in front, and place your secondary monitor to the side.

As for myself, I have an 27" LG 5K monitor as my primary, and a pair of 27" 1920x1080's on either side. I use my primary monitor for whatever I am actively doing at the time, and I use the others to keep tabs on Teams, calendars, to-do's, and spreadsheets that I may have to reference but not document in. If I need to join a Teams call, it stays on one of the smaller monitors so I can keep working on the primary. If I need to present, it still stays on the side monitors in case I have to share my screen. I learned that sharing on a 1920x1080 resolution monitor works better for other participants as opposed to sharing on a 5K where the text tends to be too small to comfortably view.

This is just my experience. Everyone's is different.

Reactions: rb2112 and Galas

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Still rocking the original Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad (both purchased shortly after intro). Cycle Enloops thru them, so also still rocking the original batteries. Likely -- over the last 13-14 years -- would have been thru 3 of each given the current design and difficulty replacing the LiOn batteries. (I've done a lot of battery replacments in Apple products not really designed well for this, but these two are hard passes.) BTW: Both still as good as new. I have a hard time understanding given Apple's focus on Mother Earth why these prouducts became disposables.

Reactions: PhotoPhan

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
the magic mouse needs wireless charging and the keyboard needs touch id 🙏🏻

paulgpetty

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
The ALTI wireless charging mat looks nice; but they really should show a picture of it with its cord. There is a picture that shows that the charging pad has a cord, but to see what that looks like when its set up and plugged actually matters. The pictures are really nice, but once you plug that in ... maybe not as nice? I think I'd rather have a charging that can sit at the edge of a desk where the cord can be a little less visible & out of the way.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Another vote for UpLift desks. Zero wobble, sturdy as heck and the amount of customization and accessories available is borderline obscene.

Reactions: anakin44011

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I’m in the market for speakers and my old Bose companion 5’s don’t work with my new Mac. What is everyone using here? Mainly for music and when I watch the odd movie or show show

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Mine is a Secret Labs Magnus pro xl. LG 5K2K 40" ultrawide. MOTU M4 Audio interface. KRK Classic 8 speakers. Benq Halo Screenlight.

Still waiting on the Secret Labs arm that is strong enough for the monitor, got another arm for an extra 4K monitor that I still need to add. And I was waiting for a magic touch id keyboard and touchpad. Also got to move the 90 degrees as it catches too much sunlight.

IMG_2272.jpeg

caw35slrmr

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2023

Every year or two, MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera shares a desk tour featuring the Mac-centric products that he uses to record and edit his videos for the site. Today, Dan is sharing an updated 2024 desk video, highlighting desk accessories that might be worth checking out for your own setup.

• Uplift Desk - Dan uses an Uplift Standing desk, priced starting at $569. Uplift makes all kinds of accessories for its desks, from drawers to hammocks. Dan has a motion board for increasing movement, microphone arm, and headphone holder.
  • Alti Wireless Charging Desk Mat - The $130 Alti Wireless Charging Desk Mat has a built-in Qi wireless charger that works with the iPhone and AirPods, plus it has a hideaway space for documents.
  • Gather Monitor Stand - Gather has a selection of Monitor Stands that raise up a display and also offer handy storage for a MacBook. Pricing starts at around $269, and there are add-on accessories for an additional fee.
  • Iodyne Pro Data - This one is for video editors and those who need a lot of storage that's well-protected. The 12TB Pro Data from Iodyne is priced at $4,450 and goes up from there.
  • Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse - There are a lot of options for peripherals, but Apple's Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse are classics.
  • Nomad Stand One Max - For charging the iPhone and Apple Watch, Nomad's Stand One Max delivers quick charging speeds and aesthetics. It's not cheap at $180, though.
  • Lab22 Headphone Stand - For over-ear headphones like the AirPods Max, the $85 Lab22 Headphone Stand keeps them up and out of the way when not in use.
What are your favorite desk accessories for your Mac setup? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Mac Desk Accessories Worth Checking Out
I bought one of the mats by Journey and I made the mistake of using it felt-side up. Comfy as it was, it quite quickly showed signs of wear from my mouse, which should have been obvious I suppose. I eventually binned the mat but I still use the phone/pods charger which, BTW, will not charge a Watch.

Charles50

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
I don't understand why people like to elevate their monitors. I bought a 27" Studio Display with a VESA mount and a monitor arm, in order to get my screen down closer to my desk.
I just bought an old style Luxo Lamp with a clamp-mount for the edge of my desk. It can extend up to 45" so it can easily reach up and over my screen. I put a Homekit color changing LED smart bulb from LIFX in it, but I think I will switch to a dimmable white, they can be much brighter than the color bulbs.
I also got a Nomad Stand One, the basic Magsafe option. I don't know if I really needed it, I had the older Nomad charging base but I wanted the faster charging and Magsafe mount.
After adding the Luxo, I need to redo my desk so I'll see if there are any useful ideas. My office is at home where only I see it so I'm into ergonomics, not appearances. I tried to go all wireless but my desk is

Last edited:

Charles50

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
I bought one, still haven't used it yet though. Gestures on a mouse sounds handy but I just wonder how well the mouse would work with Adobe CC.
LOL I just bought a wireless three button mouse for 3D graphic apps like Maya. I mean, just the three buttons. No scroll wheel on the middle button, just three buttons. There was a time before the Mac and its crazy one button, when three button mice were standard!

Reactions: arkitect

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I don't understand why people like to elevate their monitors. I bought a 27" Studio Display with a VESA mount and a monitor arm, in order to get my screen down closer to my desk.
Ergonomics and preventing back, neck and joint injury. The top of the screen roughly with the top of your head such that your eyes can focus on the screen without bending your neck and shoulders are upright. And then the desk needs to be low enough such that should and arms, whilst perpendicular to the floor, the elbows are approximately at 90–120 degrees, and thus, typically, the keyboard be at about an inch above the elbows.

And then don't forget the hips and knees, try to keep your thighs parallel to the floor with the lower legs perpendicular.

That is the reason, unless someone is tiny with chicken or dinosaur style arms, having the screen down at the desk is for most people not health and will cause problems eventually.

Reactions: rb2112 and Nekronos

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
I've used various mouses designed by Apple for decades, and the current magic mouse is, like many other Apple mouses, certainly esthetically pleasing. But my opinion is that it's like a gorgeous but not practical woman who farts in your face once in while. Some people just keep tolerating or even defending her occasional farts for some weird reasons I don't quite understand.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
Still using old-school Apple wired keyboards in my two offices (bought used USB-keyboards from eBay - ❤️ that key-throw on them!). I cannot get my work-spaces to reliably run Bluetooth keyboards (tried the Apple Magic Keyboards with TouchID twice but returned them). Keys are missed or getting stuck or the keyboard is disconnecting.
Each work-space has a Mac Studio M1 and LogiTech MX 3G mouse and I lug around my MBP 16" M1, iPhone and iPad.

JohannesO

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2022
Best accessories in my setup

VESA arms
G100_w_0_0fdd4458-beeb-4f9c-8823-a39a76f192d8_470x470.png

Aluminum mousepad for gliders like on the Magic Mouse (low resistance, high speed)
215xpa0eDUL._AC_.jpg

Adjustable desk

IMG_2839 Kopie.jpg

Foldable cup or pot warmer

IMG_2840 Kopie.jpg
IMG_2842 Kopie.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.