Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
lol this post made for the 1% members

Some of the items Dan mentions in his video are for those that like to invest in a "Chic" work environment. I the Alti Wireless Charging Desk Mat, and I can vouch it is awesome and worth the money.

EUREKA ERGONOMIC RGB Glass Gaming Desk, 47" Adjustable Height Computer Desk - $600
Uplift one I configured to mimic the one I have is $2,099.00

The Gather Monitor Stand he used is $329. I have one from IKEA that looks more or less the same and is magnetic for $60

The Iodyne Pro Data he is using is $7500, the 12 GB is $4450. I built my own cloud storage platform with SSD, and I have it running on High Availability servers and. I spent around $2000. Yay Proxmox and Yay cheap servers.

The nomad charger he uses is like $180. I use Anker ones that are $80 or $100 bucks.

The Airpods Max Stand I use were $9.99 on Amazon, spending $85 on one is just ridiculous. But if he can afford it, (which im sure this was paid or as part of promotions from MacRumors), well more power to Dan.

I'm hoping Dan reads this and he makes another article about the cool desktop options the rest of the 99% can use, us mere mortals that dont make the pound of cash he makes or the company gives him.

Aslak3

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
UK
Magic Mouse as a proposition? That’s brave!
I used one for about 3 years. They are pretty decent and the gesture support easily makes up for other deficiencies.

HOWEVER I used one when Apple was still powering them via AA batteries. I used the same set of four rechargeable batteries for those 3 years and it was fab; never had a minute without a working mouse. Charging them via a cable stuffed in the base of the mouse is absurd and there's no way I'd have used one if that was how they were powered then. I still have two battery powered Magic Mice in a drawer but don't use them because I'm not using a desktop Mac at the moment.

Daedalus65

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2013
Gotta say, I’m surprised with how similar our setup are, completely independently. A couple of differences, (which I will stick with!) I use the Logitech K800 backlit keyboard/m510 mouse combination. I like that you can pick and choose your combination, but the backlight on the keyboard is indispensable for me (different work hours?). One major opportunity you are missing IMO, is that I also have a Magic Trackpad under my left hand (mouse on right, trackpad on left). It’s indispensable for all of my swipe gestures, especially swiping between multiple desktops on each monitor. which I can easily do left-handed. Really surprised you don’t have this (but convinced you will once you try it!) I use the Belkin 3-in-one charger and it sits on the left in front of my headphones arm (Lamicoll) rather than the right. (I also have the Belkin 2-in-one <based on your review> but I ended up using it as a bedside charger as I like how it puts the extra watch “behind” my phone so I don’t see it at night. I originally got the 2-in-1 for a desk replacement, but opted to stick with the 3-in-1 there as all three stations are frequently used simultaneously.) My “real estate” monitor is a single 49” Samsung on a movable arm. Not quite the high res you have, but I like the single pane, and it’s good enough for my needs. I also use a secondary (tertiary?) monitor on the right, all driven by a 16” MBP, with display open (for any high res work) on a Lavolta stand. A lot of my time is spent in presentation mode and I use all three monitors simultaneously during that task. I round it out with a “retired” ipad pro on the left which I use for live whiteboarding.

PS I have 4 different (affordable) standing desks I have acquired over the years. “Fully” is what I have settled on as my re-buy/recommendation. EXTREMELY quiet and unbelievably stable throughout a wide range of height adjustments. (Including really low for a piano keyboard in sitting position.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.