Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I bought my wife a Mac Mini last spring (2.26Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD) and have been head over heals impressed with it. I am itching to get off of my PC and migrate over to the next iteration of the Mini which I assume will trickle out once the next gen MBP's are released (by spring/summer 2010).

Any fellow forum dwellers in a similar position and anxiously awaiting the next version?

The first question becomes, what will the next iteration of the Mini contain in terms of hardware. My guess, at this time, is:

CPU - Core i5 (Arrandale) somewhere around the 2.6Ghz mark.
GPU - ATI Mobility Radeon 5xxx series
(would have also been happy with Nvidia's upcoming GPU for the ION2 platform but that's not going to happen..ahem Intel).
RAM - 4GB default (8GB option).
HDD - 500GB default (1TB option. note: 2.5" 1TB are around the corner).
DVD - same as now. I don't see BluRay coming until the next gen after this going by the recent news vibes.

Release time frame: I predict (hope) March ~ May 2010.

ps: hoping we'll see iLife 10 by this time also.

saxman1969

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
just ordered mine

No more anxiously waiting for me. I finally ordered a maxed out mini with the following specs and accessories.

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive
iWork preinstalled
Final Cut Express preinstalled
Mini-DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Apple Care

I already have dual Dell 2209wa monitors (22 inch), with a Logitech keyboard and mouse. In a couple of years, I'll upgrade to a more powerful computer if I need to. But I should be all set for at least a couple of years. Looking at the track record, I really don't expect any significant upgrades (at least none worth anxiously awaiting) anytime soon.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
@belltree: I think you're hoping for too much. The mini is Apple's lowest-end mac. It's not going to have better specs than a macbook. The mini has always trailed behind the MacBook at least a year or so (and even more at times, remember when it totally skipped the whole X3100 / Santa Rosa platform). It's recently dropped to 6 months but that could be a temporary thing due to the change to the platform.

I'd guess for only a minor speedbump on the current platform in the 2010 revision, maybe a core i3 (i5 BTO option) in 2011. Video if dedicated only the lowest possible option (also because of heat concerns).

But I hope you're wrong and I'm right. I just damaged my 2009 Mini's daughterboard connector when installing a new Harddrive and even though it still works I'd be happy to buy a new one and reassign this one to server duties, replacing my old G4. But I won't buy until there is a good jump in specs from my current one.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
I doubt highly it will get any updates for a while. The whole motherboard would have to be redesigned to i Core. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Hence why I just bought one :D

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I doubt highly it will get any updates for a while. The whole motherboard would have to be redesigned to i Core. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Hence why I just bought one :D

You're forgetting that the Mac Mini innards are essentially that of the MacBook Pros. I'm telling you all now, when the MBP's are updated the Mac Mini update will follow very shortly after.

The last Mini update in the fall of 2009 was simply a speed step up from the spring 2009 release. Trust me, we will see a new Mini within 4 months at most. If I'm wrong you are all welcome to a good laugh at my expense. If I am right, let's all rejoice in the new Mini glory ;).

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
No more anxiously waiting for me. I finally ordered a maxed out mini with the following specs and accessories.

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive
iWork preinstalled
Final Cut Express preinstalled
Mini-DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Apple Care

I already have dual Dell 2209wa monitors (22 inch), with a Logitech keyboard and mouse. In a couple of years, I'll upgrade to a more powerful computer if I need to. But I should be all set for at least a couple of years. Looking at the track record, I really don't expect any significant upgrades (at least none worth anxiously awaiting) anytime soon.

Good for you! You'll enjoy that puppy. The mini is a fantastic machine and you'll get a lot of mileage out of it.

One word of advice, you say that you will have iWork preinstalled which leads me to understand that you'll be using OS X as it comes installed. You may want to reconsider and do a full reinstall from scratch for the below reason:

1. You will benefit from the learning experience of installing OS X (and iWork).
2. You can then deselect unwanted languages and printer drivers which will save you HDD space.
3. You'll be guaranteed a fresh clean install ;)

Congrats!

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
You're forgetting that the Mac Mini innards are essentially that of the MacBook Pros. I'm telling you all now, when the MBP's are updated the Mac Mini update will follow very shortly after.

The last Mini update in the fall of 2009 was simply a speed step up from the spring 2009 release. Trust me, we will see a new Mini within 4 months at most. If I'm wrong you are all welcome to a good laugh at my expense. If I am right, let's all rejoice in the new Mini glory ;).

The motherboard has the same components yes, but the motherboard is not the same. Essentially apple would have to create two new motherboards (3 if you include the macbook). Considering apple's slow update cycle on the mini I don't see the iSeries coming to the mini until well after the macbook pro.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
The motherboard has the same components yes, but the motherboard is not the same. Essentially apple would have to create two new motherboards (3 if you include the macbook).

And you think this is a roadblock for Apple? I don't think they'd break a sweat given their hardware design and production prowess. Regardless, we shall see soon enough.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I bought my wife a Mac Mini last spring (2.26Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD) and have been head over heals impressed with it. I am itching to get off of my PC and migrate over to the next iteration of the Mini which I assume will trickle out once the next gen MBP's are released (by spring/summer 2010).

Any fellow forum dwellers in a similar position and anxiously awaiting the next version?

The first question becomes, what will the next iteration of the Mini contain in terms of hardware. My guess, at this time, is:

(would have also been happy with Nvidia's upcoming GPU for the ION2 platform but that's not going to happen..ahem Intel).
DVD - same as now. I don't see BluRay coming until the next gen after this going by the recent news vibes.

In my opinion you Are not going to see anything so powerfull in 2010, in the Mini's lineup ...

Maybe a little speed-bump later this year

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Good for you! You'll enjoy that puppy. The mini is a fantastic machine and you'll get a lot of mileage out of it.

One word of advice, you say that you will have iWork preinstalled which leads me to understand that you'll be using OS X as it comes installed. You may want to reconsider and do a full reinstall from scratch for the below reason:

1. You will benefit from the experience of installing OS X (and iWork).
2. You can then deselect unwanted languages and printer drivers which will save you HDD space.
3. You'll be guaranteed a fresh clean install ;)

Congrats!

You don't need a "fresh clean install" to have Mac OSX works well.
This is not Windows ;)

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California

Mac Mini's probably wont be updated with the Macbook Pros, I don't think it has ever happened. Besides, Apple will just end up putting higher clocked Intel Core 2 Duos.

heesey1010

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2006
I don't see the Mac Minis getting an Core i3/5 update any time soon UNLESS the base iMac gets Core i3...then what we might (and emphasis on "might") see is 3.06GHz base model and i3 high-end Mac Mini model.

But to those who say that Mac Minis are rarely updated, the time between the last two updates was one of the shortest ever for the series...so to say that we have to wait until Christmas seems unlikely (after all Apple usually locks their lineup about a month or so before Thanksgiving)

JJC80

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2004
California
I recall the Mac Mini used to be routinely equivalent or close in specs to the iBook and later the Macbook, is that not that case anymore? I too am awaiting the next revision as I'll be picking a new one up.

Actually I see the last revision was in October along with the iMac and Macbook - and 6 months prior the last revision, I'd think late Spring should be good timing. (for those guessing)

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
And you think this is a roadblock for Apple? I don't think they'd break a sweat given their hardware design and production prowess. Regardless, we shall see soon enough.

If they are willing no. However the apathy given to the mac mini by apple since it's launch, doesn't fill me with confidence.

Patmn

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2009
Mississauga, ON
I'd like to see the top level Mini with 8GB of ram and faster processors, and hopefully at the same price as the current 2.53/4GB one. If they come out with something like that at the end of this year/beginning of 2011, I'll probably pull the trigger and get one, at least as soon as they start filtering into the refurb section of the Apple site! Up here in Canada the refurbished 2.53ghz Minis sell for $150 off the price of new ones so they are $749, which is a pretty good deal, so hopefully the next ones are priced around the same.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I'm pretty much confident, that the next generation mini will mirror the next generation 13" MBPs, I would guess that means they'll be i3's. But I also suspect that they could be C2D's again. I'd be surprised, even shocked if they are i5's.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I love all this optimism...!

... in my opinion, there's a snowball's chance in Hell of the Mini getting an i5 in the next six or seven months. I would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong, but I don't think that I will be.

Again, I have to return to the motherboard point. Apple will surely adopt the same motherboard for the whole Mini range for ease-of-production purposes. So, until they're ready to completely ditch the Core 2 Duo range, no i3/5/7 in the Mini. And why would they ditch the C2D? It's a good, affordable processor series.

Personally, the upgrade I'm holding out for is to the graphics system.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
It took Apple FOREVER to update the mini, so if they continue like their previous record, it's going to be around another 1 1/2 years before an update! I got a 13" MBP when they were first released in June, and Im going to use it forever until it does. Then Im going to a mini!

The best feature on the mini is dual monitor support. Without that, I wouldn't even consider purchasing one!

jellybean

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
Bought mine mere hours ago from my nearest Apple store and I've got it hooked up to a 22" Samsung monitor and I'm absolutely loving it :D :D I was trying to decide between this and the white MacBook but it ended up being a no brainer as the Mac mini is more powerful with better specs and cheaper than the white MacBook! (and I don't need portability - just something which can be moved from A to B once or twice in its lifetime).

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
It took Apple FOREVER to update the mini, so if they continue like their previous record, it's going to be around another 1 1/2 years before an update! I got a 13" MBP when they were first released in June, and Im going to use it forever until it does. Then Im going to a mini!

The best feature on the mini is dual monitor support. Without that, I wouldn't even consider purchasing one!

Well if they continue on their most recent previous record, we could see an update in roughly 7 months.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Bought mine mere hours ago from my nearest Apple store and I've got it hooked up to a 22" Samsung monitor and I'm absolutely loving it :D :D I was trying to decide between this and the white MacBook but it ended up being a no brainer as the Mac mini is more powerful with better specs and cheaper than the white MacBook! (and I don't need portability - just something which can be moved from A to B once or twice in its lifetime).

Congratulations. What model did you get?

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Migrate to SSD's

I think Apple should finally kick hdd to the curb and migrate the mini to SSD. I know some people will be put off by the smaller storage, but in the end consumers will be better off

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
I think Apple should finally kick hdd to the curb and migrate the mini to SSD. I know some people will be put off by the smaller storage, but in the end consumers will be better off

I think it would be great for Apple to add SSD options to the Mac Mini, but it makes sense to still keep Hard drives as an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.