Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joulss

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
Have only had my 2018 Mini for a week now, but I'm completely happy. Am using a 32" BenQ 1440p display and it looks great at the native resolution. I would rather have this big screen than an iMac running at a scaled resolution.

At this moment I have Windows 10 running a professional GIS application in a 16gb Parallels VM and it's noticeably faster than my old dual core i5 Windows 7 computer. I also have MS Word, Photoshop, Mail, Messages and Safari running on MacOS at the same time. The Mini is a bit warm to the touch but is absolutely silent. I'm sure the fan must be running but I can't hear it, even when I put my ear next to it.

Now, mine is an i7 with 64gb of RAM, so maybe that makes a difference? Activity monitor says 27gb is currently in use. I decided against getting a 4k or 5k monitor because it would have to be about 42 inches for the dot pitch I want at native resolution (don't want to read tiny text).

Anyway, seems like it's all about finding the right combination that suits your needs. Perhaps the Mini isn't a good choice for those who want 4k or 5k and scaled resolutions? But I really don't see a problem with 1440p and am sure I wouldn't be as happy with a 7-year old Mac Pro. I already have too many vintage computers and wanted something new, not another "orphan". ;)

Yes the computer is smooth at 1440p. But it's definitely not ready for 5K, the LG display is supposed to be the perfect companion for the Mac Mini and it's not, Apple is lying. Even with an eGPU, it's not working perfectly smoothly.

For me this Mac Mini is a temporary solution waiting for something better in a near future. I don't see myself keeping 5 years a computer that is already struggling for some tasks after just a week.

joulss

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
That's fine, but it conflicts with what you posted earlier.

Not really. The Mac Mini is smooth at 1440p (UI wise), but my old Mac Pro was even smoother. When I work in Capture One with the Mac Mini, it's not smooth and a bit laggy. The Mac Pro was butter smooth.

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
I don't think it's a faulty unit. I also borrowed a Mac Mini i3 from someone to test and it was worse. I think it's normal as the Mac Mini is basically a laptop without display, I don't think it's meant to run professional apps 24/7.

So I disabled Turbo Boost, at least I have a silent computer.

Tell us more about turbo boost and how it makes the mini more silent. Can it be harmful to turn off? Noise wasn't an issue for me during the first year of use, but now if find it to be a big issue.

joulss

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
Tell us more about turbo boost and how it makes the mini more silent. Can it be harmful to turn off? Noise wasn't an issue for me during the first year of use, but now if find it to be a big issue.

You need to download Turbo Boost Switcher. Get the Pro version ($9) as it's more convenient (no password to enter at login). I don't think it's harmful to disable it.

I use Pro Tools a lot and compared with and without Turbo Boost. Thing is it doesn't make a difference, CPU usage is the same. I guess Turbo Boost is useful for apps just using 1 core but otherwise it doesn't make a difference, at least in real life usage (not talking about benchmarks).

What I did is I configured the Turbo Boost so that it switches off when fans ramp up to 2500 rpm, then it turns back on again when they spin under 2000 rpm. That way I get a more silent computer.
[automerge]1593602669[/automerge]

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
You need to download Turbo Boost Switcher. Get the Pro version ($9) as it's more convenient (no password to enter at login). I don't think it's harmful to disable it.

I use Pro Tools a lot and compared with and without Turbo Boost. Thing is it doesn't make a difference, CPU usage is the same. I guess Turbo Boost is useful for apps just using 1 core but otherwise it doesn't make a difference, at least in real life usage (not talking about benchmarks).

What I did is I configured the Turbo Boost so that it switches off when fans ramp up to 2500 rpm, then it turns back on again when they spin under 2000 rpm. That way I get a more silent computer.
[automerge]1593602669[/automerge]

Great tip, I'll try it. I bought the Mini for use with Logic and the noise has been an issue to say the least, especially considering it's not even being pushed hard.

joulss

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
Great tip, I'll try it. I bought the Mini for use with Logic and the noise has been an issue to say the least, especially considering it's not even being pushed hard.

Same for me, bought it especially for Pro Tools and it's pretty noisy. With Turbo off, it's more silent and no change in performance. When I use photo editing software (DXO or C1), fans go crazy, so once again, need to disable Turbo. I think it's a shame. I don't know if iMacs make so much noise.

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
Same for me, bought it especially for Pro Tools and it's pretty noisy. With Turbo off, it's more silent and no change in performance. When I use photo editing software (DXO or C1), fans go crazy, so once again, need to disable Turbo. I think it's a shame. I don't know if iMacs make so much noise.

Tried the application. Allows me to watch 4K video without fans and temps going crazy, in fact the computer is almost silent and runs cooler. Will try it with Logic soon, but I have a feeling this will restore my faith in the Mac Mini. It's just weird that this feature isn't built into OSX

vigyan

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
wow after reading some of the above discussion, I wonder if I am super lucky or some of you are doing it wrong. faulty units or faulty cables might be the case.
compared to some of the configs above my Mac mini i5 just has 8gb ram. yet I have had no lags running a 4k 32" display, playing 4k HDR videos. without any eGPU. no fan noise unless I am encoding heavy video files. most of the time its pin drop silent.

I posted a video on YouTube showing the same.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Wish I'd seen this post at the time. One key point most people here missed is that the 2018 Mac Mini has the lowest end integrated GPU of any modern Mac - far worse than, say, a lowest end 13" Macbook Pro of the same year - worse, in fact, than my 2010 Macbook Pro (which did have discrete graphics). They crippled the GPU on purpose, because the Mac Mini was the flagship product that was supposed to make using eGPUs mainstream. Sadly, the whole eGPU thing seems to have not taken off for the masses... FWIW, I *was* able to use a *4K* monitor with my 2018 Mac Mini (w/16GB Ram/highest end CPU), but I never tried the 5K. I also didn't check to see if modern updates to the Mini since 2018 have a better integrated GPU (or even a discrete option like the wonderful 5600M, which could run even faster on the Mini because there's a higher heat envelope.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
There has been no update, the current Mini is the same as the 2018 Mini. AFAIK, the only change was to put a 256gb ssd into the base model instead of 128gb. All the hardware, including GPU are still the same however.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
wow after reading some of the above discussion, I wonder if I am super lucky or some of you are doing it wrong. faulty units or faulty cables might be the case.
compared to some of the configs above my Mac mini i5 just has 8gb ram. yet I have had no lags running a 4k 32" display, playing 4k HDR videos. without any eGPU. no fan noise unless I am encoding heavy video files. most of the time its pin drop silent.

Same here.. Ive had mine for about a month now, I got the i7 with 16GB. Was running a 32" Samsung HD TV but I just got one of their 28" IPS 4K displays last week and have it running USB-C->DP scaled to 1440. There is some lag here and there, most noticeable a hiccup when I open like the Application drawer in the dock, but that's about it. Otherwise completely smooth at native 4K. I could probably get used to it but its just too small for me. Ive run through a few Logic Pro projects in the last couple of weeks and honestly dont miss my 2010 Mac Pro it replaced. Im not one of the modern 'heres my 400 track soundtrack with 100 different virtual instruments' users, more like an old school 24 track tape deck, but even playing the games I have on here, its in no way close to 'unusable'. Honestly, disk operation aside, it feels about the same as my Mac Pro, its just up to date and a little bit more fluid with the OS now. Baldur's Gate runs fine, MAME is great, videos are fine. Battletech sucks now without the Pro's RX570, but I was already going to get an eGPU for it so all the trouble will be non-existent in a few weeks anyways.

Ive also never heard the fan run once in this thing even under load gaming. It gets pretty hot but still no fan, you wouldn't even know it had one. The misses actually made a comment last week about how quiet the room is now that the Mac Pro is turned off. The room is eerily dead silent now, I never noticed how much ambient noise my 'silent' Mac Pro actually put out. The only noise in here anymore WAS from the fan in my Oyen drive enclosure, but I had to send it back because of a bad tray and the replacement I got Friday is completely silent too. The only thing anyone can hear anymore is the fan in my old EMU sampler when its on.

Last edited:
Reactions: vigyan and Boyd01

vigyan

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2020
Wish I'd seen this post at the time. One key point most people here missed is that the 2018 Mac Mini has the lowest end integrated GPU of any modern Mac - far worse than, say, a lowest end 13" Macbook Pro of the same year - worse, in fact, than my 2010 Macbook Pro (which did have discrete graphics). They crippled the GPU on purpose, because the Mac Mini was the flagship product that was supposed to make using eGPUs mainstream. Sadly, the whole eGPU thing seems to have not taken off for the masses... FWIW, I *was* able to use a *4K* monitor with my 2018 Mac Mini (w/16GB Ram/highest end CPU), but I never tried the 5K. I also didn't check to see if modern updates to the Mini since 2018 have a better integrated GPU (or even a discrete option like the wonderful 5600M, which could run even faster on the Mini because there's a higher heat envelope.

Mac mini vs MacBook Pro. doesn't even make sense. its not even the same segment and not for the same user base.

2010 MacBook Pro with its paltry core2duo cpu & hdd can't hold against 2018 Mac mini at all. its a joke to even say it will come closer. don't take my work for it. just try to encode a 4k 60fps HEVC video of any length on both. I doubt it can even play a 4k HEVC file let alone encode it.

FYI MacBook Pro 15" 2018 & 16" 2019 models also has the same Intel UHD 630 along with discreet graphics with auto switching graphics performance. Unless and until you are specifically doing graphics intensive job, it won't kick in.

if you do anything cpu intensive then comparing i7 models of both MBP 2018 and Mac mini 2018 models, the mini will outshine the supposed pro.

Mac mini -
  • 3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz
  • 12MB shared L3 cache
MacBook Pro 15 -

• 2.6GHz 6-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
  • 9MB shared L3 cache

IMHO your facts are not straight. don't just randomly try to make points and create misguidance. just a request.

Last edited:

ey876

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2020
FYI MacBook Pro 15" 2018 & 16" 2019 models also has the same Intel UHD 630 along with discreet graphics with auto switching graphics performance. Unless and until you are specifically doing graphics intensive job, it won't kick in.
MBP 15/16 only runs off iGPU so long as you're not using an external screen. The MBP 16's internal screen is 3072 x 1920 which is fewer pixels than 4K and 5K screens, and presumably easier for the UHD 630 to run. As soon as you attach an external screen, the dGPU always kicks in full time, and there's a whole 117-page thread over at the MBP forum about how much heat is produced as a result when you use the internal and external screen together.

No dispute that the 6-core i7 in the Mac Mini is extremely powerful. I've been looking for some time to replace my 2015 MBP for my photography, and the Mac Mini would be perfect for my usage scenario if only it had a better iGPU. I don't need 3D graphics performance, but it needs to run 2x high resolution screens comfortably. If they could bring the new Iris Pro from the 2020 MBP 13 (which seems to handle high res displays without any issues) to the Mac Mini, I would buy it within seconds.

joulss

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
I think it all depends of what we're used to. Coming from a 2013 Mac Pro, this Mac Mini might seem a little snappier for everyday tasks (like mail or Safari), but the discrete GPU on the Mac Pro was much better even if it was 2013 technology.

I can barely use Capture One on my Mac Mini which is very slow and stuttery, whereas it was butter smooth on the Mac Pro. On the other side Pro Tools performs better on the Mini. But all in all, I think the Mac Pro was better for "long term" usage, meaning being powered on all day long with applications running all the time. It never got hot and was super silent. The Mini seems more to be a prosumer computer, mostly designed to check emails and surf the web, with some occasional uses of professional apps. But it gets hot easily and gets noisy. Hopefully Turbo Boost Disabler is here but what's the point in paying 1800€ for a computer than I can't use at its full potential ?

I bought an Eizo 2780 display (27" 1440p) which runs great as it's not Retina, but really the 5K LG was completely unusable. I'm very sensitive to lags and hiccups and I want a 100% butter smooth experience as it's all I've been used to throughout the years. Of course if you come from an old 2010 machine you'll think this Mini is amazing. YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.