Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
So my magic trackpad 2 and keyboard disconnects at the same time, and stays that way, every day pretty much. Anybody else having this issue?

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
So my magic trackpad 2 and keyboard disconnects at the same time, and stays that way, every day pretty much. Anybody else having this issue?
This is exactly my issue! Only happens every two days and appears to coincide with the ''systemUIserver'' process stalling, although that could simply be a symptom rather than a cause.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
This is sad. People have to get a separate Bluetooth adapter on a computer that’s already 30% more expensive than its predecessor. I hope you are all involved with Apple support so they can sort this out. Totally unacceptable
110% agree with this statement. Here people are finding 'workarounds' for their brand new Mac mini. Pathetic. And the most pathetic part is that 'Apple people' are so willing to do it instead of holding Apple accountable. SMH...
[doublepost=1548977078][/doublepost]
This is exactly my issue! Only happens every two days and appears to coincide with the ''systemUIserver'' process stalling, although that could simply be a symptom rather than a cause.
Have you reported this to Apple?

Reactions: HJM.NL and Hessel89

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
110% agree with this statement. Here people are finding 'workarounds' for their brand new Mac mini. Pathetic. And the most pathetic part is that 'Apple people' are so willing to do it instead of holding Apple accountable. SMH...
[doublepost=1548977078][/doublepost]
Have you reported this to Apple?

yes.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Apple has wrote USB controllers codes from 0 again in Mojave.

This time I think that T2 have something to do with it.

Since the Apple's BT connects via USB it should be tampered by the new coding.

Resetting SMC after a clean 10.4.3 install should help with the dropping...

Reactions: Hessel89

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Apple has wrote USB controllers codes from 0 again in Mojave.

This time I think that T2 have something to do with it.

Since the Apple's BT connects via USB it should be tampered by the new coding.

Resetting SMC after a clean 10.4.3 install should help with the dropping...

Hmm.. didn't know that. I'm also experiencing a ''coil whine'' when one of my USB devices is connected. Do you think this might also have something to do with the new coding or T2 chip?

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hmm.. didn't know that. I'm also experiencing a ''coil whine'' when one of my USB devices is connected. Do you think this might also have something to do with the new coding or T2 chip?
Absolutely

The way T2 was introduced led us to think why one would design it in a such close and reliable system like Intel’s chipsets.

The answer might be related with the numberous hackintosh builds out there. While forcing the USB controllers to report T2 chip their traffic it will turn all machines without T2 useless, since USB devices is mandatory to UI. Bear in mind that Bluetooth are hooked in USB even in those Broadcom’s PCIE combo adapters.

The noise you (and everybody) are listening are the T2 working the USB traffic out.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Absolutely

The way T2 was introduced led us to think why one would design it in a such close and reliable system like Intel’s chipsets.

The answer might be related with the numberous hackintosh builds out there. While forcing the USB controllers to report T2 chip their traffic it will turn all machines without T2 useless, since USB devices is mandatory to UI. Bear in mind that Bluetooth are hooked in USB even in those Broadcom’s PCIE combo adapters.

The noise you (and everybody) are listening are the T2 working the USB traffic out.

Of course, there’s always the chance, however slim, that Tim Cook doesn’t spend a lot of his time worrying about hackintoshes, let alone making a major system change for the purpose of rendering them inoperative.

Indeed, there’s a chance that the hackintosh owners who are peddling this conspiracy theory have an overinflated view of their significance :)

Reactions: jbperez808

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
The reason Apple can get away with these is because there are suckers who will buy a separate adapter to “fix” the issue as opposed to returning the computer and demanding a fully functional one

Reactions: HJM.NL and dspdoc

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Of course, there’s always the chance, however slim, that Tim Cook doesn’t spend a lot of his time worrying about hackintoshes, let alone making a major system change for the purpose of rendering them inoperative.

You could be right, or not. Maybe Cook´s agenda doesn´t include Hackintosh builds, but one in the staff could be aware of the loss in sales.

When you are managing such a small market as desktop computers in wich Apple has a little appeareance (Apple has 8% of laptop´s market and almost 4% in PC market), your sales records are sensitive to every single loss. To the folks who manages Apple´s desktop computers, the Hackintosh world could be something important to deal with.

For your reference, the tow major Hakintosh Foruns have around 400.000 member each. :)

DO you have another reason for the introduction of T2 chip in a flawless system like Intel´s Chipstes?

Thilus

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
Bielefeld, Germany
I got one two days ago. While my display is connected via USB-C to Displayport, my bluetooth unusable (disconnections every 10s) and Wifi is down to 0.5% of its normal speed.
When connection via HDMI no Problems, everything is fine.

I will return my today, a new machine has to work 100%.

Reactions: Pepe4life

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
I got one two days ago. While my display is connected via USB-C to Displayport, my bluetooth unusable (disconnections every 10s) and Wifi is down to 0.5% of its normal speed.
When connection via HDMI no Problems, everything is fine.

I will return my today, a new machine has to work 100%.
Make sure you give them the reason during the return so they can flag it for their engineering team.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
I got one two days ago. While my display is connected via USB-C to Displayport, my bluetooth unusable (disconnections every 10s) and Wifi is down to 0.5% of its normal speed. When connection via HDMI no Problems, everything is fine. I will return my today, a new machine has to work 100%.
I’m seeing a pattern. Several of these reports now about the 2018 Mac mini. Clearly something isn’t right. Oddly my 2018 Mac mini’s Internet connection has been rock solid on wifi since reinstalling Mojave from Recovery mode, even with everything reconnected including the HDMI port. But the Bluetooth trackpad is disconnecting again so I plugged it into a USB port. I’d send it back if I knew that Apple had fixed some hardware issue in newer builds.

Last edited:

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
So far, Apple is still investigating on the issue. Looks like it is related to an unshielded issue but I am not 100% related to the third party devices we use or the the USB port/bus of the mini. I believe it is an issue from the mini because we all have USB devices that work perfectly when used with another computer.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
So far, Apple is still investigating on the issue. Looks like it is related to an unshielded issue but I am not 100% related to the third party devices we use or the the USB port/bus of the mini. I believe it is an issue from the mini because we all have USB devices that work perfectly when used with another computer.
If that’s the case I hope they do the right thing and issue a free hardware repair or replacement program for everyone, or else a new class action lawsuit will be coming their way

golfpan

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
Another data point, since my most recent post was on the first page of this thread and I've tried some other things since then.

My machine is:

i5, 32GB (self-upgraded)/500GB model with a Vega 56 in a Razer Core X (replaced the power supply in the Razer Core X for a quiet Corsair one).

I tried unpowered hubs with a Logitech Unifying adapter, and plugging into a USB-C hub definitely worked better than plugging into USB-A, although both improved the situation, I got better range when I plugged into a USB-C connected unpowered hub.

I still had flaky behavior from time to time, so I ended up using a powered Anker 7-port USB-A to USB-A hub, and it's the best performance I've seen so far (finally, the kind of normal performance I expect). Personally, this is the solution I would recommend to a friend. Either use a third-party proprietary adapter on a hub like this, or a Bluetooth adapter on a hub like this.

I feel like this machine is putting out a lot of EMI and the design of its shielding and antennas really could have been better. I also think that having all of the USB ports on the back was a poor design choice, given the known interference issues that USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth have with each other. In addition, it looks like the USB-A ports are possibly a little low on the power they need to crank out to overcome that interference. The improvement of a USB-C hub (unpowered) over USB-A was clear on my machine, and the improvement of a powered USB-A port over an unpowered USB-C hub was also clear.

So, I finally have a solution I'm happy with, and a few hubs I don't especially need sitting in a drawer. I'm only using Bluetooth for connecting to powered speakers at this point, as I've never been happy with the Bluetooth performance on this machine. I also suspect that using a mouse or keyboard with a dongle that uses a different frequency to 2.4GHz would help, but it hasn't been necessary for me.

I love everything else about this machine, and I'm happy that there are solutions to this problem, but there is no denying, in my mind, that the experiences of so many people reflect what any ordinary user would consider serious wireless design flaws. I've never considered returning this machine and would still recommend it, but I think it's reasonable for all of us to expect that when we get a machine with Bluetooth, we should all just be able to use it, and it should "Just Work™". I mean, it's advertised as a working feature. That's not too much to ask.

But, it doesn't work. I hope it can be resolved in software, but I suspect it needs a hardware revision, which we realistically won't see for quite a while, and probably this won't be resolved in a recall for those of us who own the 2018 model. My hope is that Apple takes this seriously, and that everyone sends in reports, and they at least have the sense not to make this mistake again. They surely must be aware of the issue by now, and they probably know the cause by now, but more reports can only help ensure this particular issue doesn't happen again. It has made an otherwise truly wonderful machine (to me) imperfect, and that's a shame, because in my eyes, they were so close to a machine I have no complaints about.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

herbmed

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2015

Same here and for many others here I fear. The issue must be in the Mini's bluetooth firmware or chipset. My magic mouse2/keyboard/trackpad all work flawlessly on a 2013 MBPro up to 2-3 metres range. but drop out fatally beyond 12-18 inches with the 2018 Mini.

"workarounds" that helped a bit (other than decreasing working distance from Mini to peipherals) a) move Mini off metal racking to wood desktop b) 100% USBc dock(Caldigit) /cables/peripherals c) super declutter all power and peripheral cabling d) move dock away from mini as far USBc cables allow. Caldigit list a 2 m long USBc-USBc cable but its out of stock ...These were all suggested by users here I think.

Apple support seem to be in denial, I am currently trying to escalate my complaint with them but its uphill....I had less challenges on an SE30 as many (30) years ago :(

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Same here and for many others here I fear. The issue must be in the Mini's bluetooth firmware or chipset. My magic mouse2/keyboard/trackpad all work flawlessly on a 2013 MBPro up to 2-3 metres range. but drop out fatally beyond 12-18 inches with the 2018 Mini.

"workarounds" that helped a bit (other than decreasing working distance from Mini to peipherals) a) move Mini off metal racking to wood desktop b) 100% USBc dock(Caldigit) /cables/peripherals c) super declutter all power and peripheral cabling d) move dock away from mini as far USBc cables allow. Caldigit list a 2 m long USBc-USBc cable but its out of stock ...These were all suggested by users here I think.

Apple support seem to be in denial, I am currently trying to escalate my complaint with them but its uphill....I had less challenges on an SE30 as many (30) years ago :(
Ask to speak to customer relations. From there move on up to executive relations.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
Trying to clarify one thing - if one doesn't have anything plugged into the USB-A ports, is the Bluetooth problem still there? Obviously this is not a solution, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Trying to clarify one thing - if one doesn't have anything plugged into the USB-A ports, is the Bluetooth problem still there? Obviously this is not a solution, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks
I can’t say for sure, but I believe it is still there but not as prevalent.

Reactions: pinkoos

golfpan

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018

Thanks

It is still there, I experienced it (to a lesser extent, but still there) using a USB-C hub with nothing plugged into either USB-A port.

Reactions: pinkoos

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Guys, Apple is aware. I was told several reports where made by users. No solution as of yet but they are still investigating.

I’m traveling to the US so I told them to call me back after my trip. Hopefully there will be so progress at least. I don’t suspect Apple to turn an ear deaf. If yes, then we need a news from Macrumors on this.

Reactions: HJM.NL and Hessel89

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
Are the bluetooth issues everyone is having only related to Apple peripherals (Magic Trackpad or mouse, keyboard, etc.) or are people having the issues with 3rd party peripherals as well? Thanks

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Just to say that I never used the A ports, only had monitor via C and keyboard plugged into that. So yes the issue does happen regardless. And this was MT2 that would disconnect or say low battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.