Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
So we didn't get an announcement on the Mac mini M3 but at least we got to see what it looks like in its new black finish.

I think it looks pretty good:

2023-10-31 at 09.49.32.jpeg

2023-10-31 at 09.48.50.jpeg

☕️

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
Apple to push the upgrade limiting darker Mac Mini "black" finish to M3 Pro modal with base modal in standard silver.
If you want it ..... open your wallet!! Apple have it nailed.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Apple to push the upgrade limiting darker Mac Mini "black" finish to M3 Pro modal with base modal in standard silver.
If you want it ..... open your wallet!! Apple have it nailed.
And rightfully so. Make an extra buck from those getting the machine just for fashion statements, that crowd is so keen on showing off they probably won’t mind. Successful executed with the very first black MacBook back in the day and resurfacing every now and then.

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
And rightfully so. Make an extra buck from those getting the machine just for fashion statements, that crowd is so keen on showing off they probably won’t mind. Successful executed with the very first black MacBook back in the day and resurfacing every now and then.
Funny enough I actually prefer the silver look on the Mac Mini if a black version actually appeared..... my desk surface is black LOL!!! On a notebook black may look cool..... ahhh I remember the black Powerbook G3.... sweet memories!!!

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
Yep. Don’t think that’s the new mini at all.
Why would Apple have an old intel Mac mini in their HQ? And it's not just for display, it's actually in use. I sincerely doubt there is a program they need to run that requires an intel device. To be fair though, that Mac mini isn't plugged in to anything, so you never know what it would be used for.
Also, that color looks much darker than space grey. Although that could be the lighting.
If an M3 black Mac mini does come, it will likely be only on the M3 Pro chip model. Which would make sense.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Why would Apple have an old intel Mac mini in their HQ? And it's not just for display, it's actually in use. I sincerely doubt there is a program they need to run that requires an intel device. To be fair though, that Mac mini isn't plugged in to anything, so you never know what it would be used for.
Also, that color looks much darker than space grey. Although that could be the lighting.
If an M3 black Mac mini does come, it will likely be only on the M3 Pro chip model. Which would make sense.
For use as a space heater?!

The Space Gray mini certainly looked pretty dark under certain lighting:
1698857471769.jpeg

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Because large corporations don't just throw away working hardware if it's still doing the job just fine. It makes far more sense that Apple has older minis doing more menial tasks that don't require rewriting software for Apple silicon when it's not absolutely necessary to do so at that point in time. That looks very much like a space grey Mac mini in shadow, with the slightly darker rear ports section, just like this...

refurb-mac-mini-2018_AV3

2023-10-31-at-09-48-50-jpeg.2304810

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
M3 Mini Max.jpg

I was watching through the keynote and noticed a Space Black Mini getting put through testing in Johny's lab. I know there is an dark colored Intel Mini. But why oh why would Apple even have that old machine in the lab being tested when it's been discontinued?

Is the Mini getting a Pro version with the Max chip? That would be the ultimate high-powered affordable desktop from Apple if true.

Reactions: altaic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.