Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
View attachment 2312703

I was watching through the keynote and noticed a Space Black Mini getting put through testing in Johny's lab. I know there is an dark colored Intel Mini. But why oh why would Apple even have that old machine in the lab being tested when it's been discontinued?

Is the Mini getting a Pro version with the Max chip? That would be the ultimate high-powered affordable desktop from Apple if true.
It might be the old one. That room is a set. My guess is if it is indeed an Intel one it’s being used as the controller for that equipment instead of a windows based thin client.

I do hope a black mini comes out though!

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
That room is a set. My guess is if it is indeed an Intel one it’s being used as the controller for that equipment instead of a windows based thin client.
Are they "sets", you think?

Ah, needing a Windows machine to work industrial test equipment makes sense. Looks like wires are going to the opening underneath. ...on count of connection support? Would it not be easier to wheel an Intel MacPro in with PCIe ports and the like?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Are they sets, you think?

Ah, needing a Windows machine to work industrial test equipment makes sense. Looks like wires are going to the opening underneath. ...on count of connection support? Would it not be easier to wheel an Intel MacPro in with PCIe ports and the like?
The rooms may get some use, but I’d bet that their actual labs are much larger.

When I worked at ESPN there were rooms that technically were break rooms (you see them in some of the funny commercials) but weren’t actively in use other than filming.

I would imagine Apple has a few of these set up just for filming these and their WWDC/internal videos.

As for that particular device, you’ll notice the whole thing is on a tray. So it makes more sense for that entire setup to be moved like that instead of hooking it up to a Mac Pro.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
This has been discussed already in several threads. The mini in the shot is the same shade of space gray as the 2018 model, which looks almost black under certain lighting.

Reactions: Chuckeee

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
View attachment 2312703

I was watching through the keynote and noticed a Space Black Mini getting put through testing in Johny's lab. I know there is an dark colored Intel Mini. But why oh why would Apple even have that old machine in the lab being tested when it's been discontinued?

Is the Mini getting a Pro version with the Max chip? That would be the ultimate high-powered affordable desktop from Apple if true.

You do know that Jon Ive no longer works at apple, going on near 5 years right?
But nice catch on the black Mini, I suspect they weren't able to get enough chips from TSMC for the mini to be released.
now I will 100% be waiting for a mini update for my next upgrade :D

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
This has been discussed already in several threads. The mini in the shot is the same shade of space gray as the 2018 model, which looks almost black under certain lighting.
No worries. I haven't seen those. Apple's device colors are definitely color changing chameleons in different lighting environments. :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It could be a 2018. Believe it or not, discontinued computers can continue to serve a useful purpose – even for Apple.

edit: I just realized it's not even plugged in, that's a little odd though.

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
edit: I just realized it's not even plugged in, that's a little odd though.
That’s what made me think it’s a test model. Wires look like they’re running from the test bench into the bottom of the Mac, and yeah it’s not plugged in.

edit: angle could be weird for my wires hypothesis. :)

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
With the amount of effort that goes into setting up scenes for filming, it's no accident that it's there. Not one bit.

Infer what you will. I personally would go bananas for a black M3 Pro Mini.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
A black Mini would look out of place since both the Studio and Pro are strictly silver... but who knows.

thekhan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
almaty
When do you guys think the m3 mini will be announced? I am considering an M2 pro mini at the moment but I will wait if m3 comes in a couple of months.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Why would Apple have an old intel Mac mini in their HQ? And it's not just for display, it's actually in use. I sincerely doubt there is a program they need to run that requires an intel device. To be fair though, that Mac mini isn't plugged in to anything, so you never know what it would be used for.
Also, that color looks much darker than space grey. Although that could be the lighting.
If an M3 black Mac mini does come, it will likely be only on the M3 Pro chip model. Which would make sense.
They're obviously sets, and there was a halloween color theme. There was an orange 5 color 1999 iMac in the background of one of the shots. Why would they leave their computers logged in, paused mid working, with convenient black w/ orange highlight hardware all over the room?

Last edited:

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Or, you know, you could be flat wrong and it is indeed a new colour option for the Mac mini, plugged into an Arm development rig. 🤫

☕️

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
On the Apple refurb site, the laptop highlighted at the top of the screen is a gold 12" MacBook.

They haven't sold this model at the refurb store in years.

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 9.27.17 PM.png

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I will upgrade my 2018 i7 eventually, but not to a M3 Pro MM. The monkey wrench they threw in on the M3 Pro version compared to the M3 or M3 Max just makes no sense. I will wait and see if they clean this up first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.