Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
With the release of the 320m Nvidia in the 13" MBP, do you think the Mac Mini will be updated soon? Also a nice little CPU bump would be good too.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
With the release of the 320m Nvidia in the 13" MBP, do you think the Mac Mini will be updated soon? Also a nice little CPU bump would be good too.

I wish, but I doubt it. As long as they have C2D's in other machines, I think they will keep it around. I'd like to get a Mini as well. By the way, it appears our cold temps in NE Ohio may have finally gone away! :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Maybe along with iMac later on this year. Won't be a huge update though, probably just 2.4GHz in low-end and 2.66GHz in high-end and maybe a new GPU like 320M

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I think it was just the Server Mini that was updated? A nice core i3 or i5 would be sweet too in such a little package. 4gb Ram will probably be standard too.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
don't expect a major update on the mini anytime soon

the mini has always been the machine that is the less profitable for apple

they will never give any attention to it, in order not to cannibalize other machines...

kramerica2

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Don't count on an upgrade anytime soon...

I was waiting for an update for the last couple of the month, I've now decided to stop waiting and go for an imac instead.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
The mini will get what the macbook Pro just got, which is abit ****

MacBook Pro? You mean "white" Macbook, right?

Mac mini (base) has always the components, what the Macbook (plastic) has. The higher end model is maybe equivalent to the base MacBook Pro.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Mac mini (base) has always the components, what the Macbook (plastic) has. The higher end model is maybe equivalent to the base MacBook Pro.

Not quite. Sometimes the mini lags the bottom of the line MacBook.

The last mini ran from 2/28/2006 to 3/3/2009 with just CPU upgrades (no change to the motherboard), while the MacBook was upgraded on 11/1/2007 and again on 1/21/2009.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Come on. You all just saw what the next Mini will be with the release of the new MacBook Pro's. Be ready to buy a new Mini by WWDC this summer. :rolleyes:

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I can see it getting similar specs to the 13" macbook (i.e. 2.4/2.66), but really its never going to make that much of a difference.

They could remove the mini DVI port though and replace it with an HDMI. WHich would be good or bad depending on what you use the mini for

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I can see it getting similar specs to the 13" macbook (i.e. 2.4/2.66), but really its never going to make that much of a difference.

They could remove the mini DVI port though and replace it with an HDMI. WHich would be good or bad depending on what you use the mini for

Are you referring to the C2D @ 2.66 GHz, or in "ix"chip? The 2.66 C2D is what I have in my mini now.

Kristijan

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
While I'd be over the moon with HDMI, I'd be more than happy for the miniDP port to carry audio and visual like the ones do in the latest Macbook Pro updates.

I really shouldn't be spending any more money on hardware, so I'm happy to hold off till Christmas, or whenever a new model with the above is released.

-Kristijan

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
While I'd be over the moon with HDMI, I'd be more than happy for the miniDP port to carry audio and visual like the ones do in the latest Macbook Pro updates.

I really shouldn't be spending any more money on hardware, so I'm happy to hold off till Christmas, or whenever a new model with the above is released.

-Kristijan

Yeah I don't see why they would put a "dedicated" HDMI port on the Mini. Why not just run have 2 MDP ports that can carry audio? But who knows, they will more than likely just swap the Mini-DVI port for HDMI w/ audio on the next update. I still think the next update will also bring us core iX processor too. Who needs integrated graphics when we are connected to a power source 100% of the time.

Come on Apple, bring on the high-end 2.4 Core i5 Mini with 4gb, 320gb, 330m, dual MDP, and gasp BD-ray :D for $999

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think its very feasible we will see the next Mini with HDMI a 320M graphics and a 2.4 gpu for the entry model. Im pretty excited about the made for Apple 320M and if it goes into Mini you have super low power consumption with enough horsepower for HDTV and the occasional game. Going from a 9400M to a 320M is a pretty nice step up in my view and makes for a heck of a entry Mac. I would guess the 320M will be the entry graphics into almost the entire Mac line up as was the 9400. If this happens I will have to get a Mini and a 32" HDTV as my next office computer set up.

Lets face it the Core2 is more then enough CPU for 90% of the world. The idea of more crapo Intel graphics with a high horsepower CPU(i series) made no sense, Apple did this crap before and Jobs wasnt going to have it again. I applaud Steve for this decision. Give Mini a nice new coat to wear and it will make for a great machine.

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
next Mini - nvidia 320 has no HD1080 output....

next Mini - Lot's of people use this box as an media Box but the nvidia 320 has no HD1080 output....

This would be a real problem to lots of users!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Without doubt, Mini is becoming the nice companion to the HDTV set up. Apple needs to get on board and go with the flow on this one. Also Black is in so a black or black and silver case is a must. Lets go Apple.:apple:

heyendo30

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
I doubt an imminent update for the Mini. It was updated together with the iMac in the fall, so I imagine the next update will be this coming fall.

What novelties will it include? Surely processor updates, but "just" clockspeed, I am very very dubious towards a Core i5, even Dual. Probably the entry-level model will have a 2.4GHz, the next one will have 2.66GHz and a BTO of 2.8 or 3.06.
HDD size will increase and probably a 4GB standard on the cheaper model. The new integrated Nvidia card found on the thirteen-inchers will be added too.

This is a safe time to buy a Mini, imho. It's a another 6 months to the next update. The update wont be anything special, or so i believe, just the typical new integrated chip and minor speed/size bumps in the other hardware.

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
I doubt an imminent update for the Mini. It was updated together with the iMac in the fall, so I imagine the next update will be this coming fall.

They probably won't wait a whole year to update them.
There is still quite a few things apple still has to update in the near future. New mini will probably come with one of them.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think Apple took this Intel /Nvidia feud and is using it to their advantage by buying millions and millions of 320m's and putting them into every Mac. Watch and tell me if Iam wrong in 6 months. Lets face it Intel graphics suck corks and have no business mated to a core2 let alone the new quad stuff.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.