Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I wish, but I doubt it. As long as they have C2D's in other machines, I think they will keep it around. I'd like to get a Mini as well. By the way, it appears our cold temps in NE Ohio may have finally gone away! :D

Nvidia 320m works only with C2Ds, so it is possible

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
why does the mini need to be so.... mini?

I'd take something a little more AV sized, as many are used as HTPCs etc. something big enough to take the imac innards rather than macbook insides.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010

I'd take something a little more AV sized, as many are used as HTPCs etc. something big enough to take the imac innards rather than macbook insides.

i agree,

although im happy with my 2.26ghz 4gb mini, I wish there was a middle between the tiny mini and the huge expensive macpro. The imac is great but not everyone wants an all-in-one.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

Well if Apple ever came out with the much rumored and highly anticipated X-Mac, then that would be great. I'd love to have a Mini-Mac Pro sort of tower.

I'd love a Mac Pro myself but I don't think many people need workstation CPUs and such. A single i5/i7 CPU along with 4 memory slots, single optical drive and 2-4 PCIe slots and 2-4 HDD slots would be my ideal Mac. Basically an iMac with more cheaper desktop parts that looks like a Mac Pro/G5 and without the screen. Oh wait, there is such a thing... it's called a hackintosh ;)

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
Is there space for a small discrete gpu in the mini?
It will make the difference between them chosing c2d and ix.

I hope they have a SSD option

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Is there space for a small discrete gpu in the mini?
It will make the difference between them chosing c2d and ix. ...

I have the same question. Anyone familiar enough with nVidia hardware, and the insides of the mini care to weigh in?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The Mac mini is mid-cycle

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Mac_mini

I don't expect Apple will revamp the Mini until early 2011. I'm actually hoping they go AMD for the Mac mini and Macbook using a version of AMD's Llano CPU/GPU Fusion APU.

It would make for a perfect compact powerhouse with good CPU & GPU performance.

HDMI isn't going to happen. Those that need HDMI will have to get comfy with using an adapter or cable. No biggie.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
I hate adaptors , why not fit the proper connector in first place and i do not need a powerhouse if i would need one i would buy a proper desktop computer like a macpro

i bought a dell zino because it offers all the things the mini is missing
HDMI port , eSata port , sd card reader,blue ray drive (i might need it one day)
and its far easier to open and upgrade and costs far less then a used mini
But most of the time it will sit under (cant really see it because its black )the tv and will play some HD movies and occasional someone might surf around the internet or read a email
so and for these reasons the 1.8ghz amd processor inside is nearly overkill already ... ,but first thing i did was getting rid of this windows 7 ...
then linux mint on it , changed it a bit ,so now it looks at least like osx leopard .. until i find a way to hackintosh it ,

orif i would find a mini on ebay like i would find it in ebay united states , if i lived there i would very likely have bought a intel Mac mini instead , but not here in overpriced united kingdom , where you just get a basic 1.5 core solo for the same price you pay in the us for a 2.0 core2duo and had all the disc's of the OS installed (means complete how people got it from apple)

so apple please bring back the 1.66 core duo as thats actually enough processing power for a computer thats only streaming videos to the tv , fit the proper ports and don't force people to hunt around for adaptors , i did only only want a proper hdmi port, sd card reader and a esata port , but a esata harddrive inside would be nice too ;)
ok for those of you who can not afford a macpro .. apple could you fit a i7 inside the mini and all the appropriate ports of a modern computer ,

because if i need adaptors for everything thats now standard in pc -world , then it means i do not have the right ports simple is that, even these nettops nowadays have more ports then the mini and are smaller too and can be used for hd videos , i only say ZOTAC, really enough for watching movies in hd if you got them on a harddrive

i might buy a G4 mini as they are coming down to a realistic price for a 5 year old computer ... i prefer the true Macs with ppc architecture anyway , so i keep on to spend my money in old Mac's.. just bought another eMac g4 1.42 :D

norbiu

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
i agree,

although im happy with my 2.26ghz 4gb mini, I wish there was a middle between the tiny mini and the huge expensive macpro. The imac is great but not everyone wants an all-in-one.

+1. I've been sitting here waiting for a decent Mini update since last year. I don't have money to spend on a Mac Pro, nor do I need that much horsepower, and I already have an awesome monitor, so there's no need for an iMac. How about a Mac Mini Pro? Mac Pro Mini? Whatever! I currently have a MacBook plugged into the monitor, but I'm doing all my work at home, so I don't need a laptop either.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the biggest problem with the mini is , its not evolving , ok it gets every year a 0.2 ghz more , not that it really would be noticeable in the real world , it gets every year more expensive , but there is since the first mini not much evolution going on if you leave the transition to intel out , its still the same small box , looks nice but its still the same , so nothing really that could justify the price hike since 2005 , as processors and everything got cheaper in the meantime

if i would be apple i would let the mini grow a bit not a lot needed, a inch or so in hight , nobody would really notice that , but it would give a bit space for a sd card reader , and maybe 2 usb ports on the front , and hdmi and esata , 6 usb ports , one firewire 800 , port at the back , then give it the processor of the base iMac 21.5 , and everyone would be happy , ok as i know apple they would do that and rise the price in a region just below the iMac 21.5 which is absolute not logical to do , at least considering you only get this small box not more , on the iMac which is not much more expensive considering you get a 21.5 inch monitor and a keyboard and mouse

so apple keep the price low and offer the same internals as in the iMac 21.5 put more useful ports on it like everybody else in the computer industry does

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I would love to know the profit margin for the Mini compared to say a Macbook? $200-300 more and you get a screen, keyboard, mouse(trackpad) and battery. Figured with all the cheap off-the-shelf yesterday components in the Mini it would be pretty high. But then again, I'm sure they do sell more Macbooks than Minis ;).

HDMI would only be necessary if the MDP had audio pass-through then a cheap adapter would work. I'd love to see 2 MDP's on the next Mini since it seems Apple is ditching the Mini-DVI connector. I am still shocked to see Apple using FW800 on the Minis but I'm sure eSATA would be more useful. I also think 5 USB ports is kinda excessive though. 4 would be enough and throw an eSATA port in there. Oh and a non line-leveling sound input would be nice too :).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I would love to know the profit margin for the Mini compared to say a Macbook? $200-300 more and you get a screen, keyboard, mouse(trackpad) and battery. Figured with all the cheap off-the-shelf yesterday components in the Mini it would be pretty high. But then again, I'm sure they do sell more Macbooks than Minis ;).

HDMI would only be necessary if the MDP had audio pass-through then a cheap adapter would work. I'd love to see 2 MDP's on the next Mini since it seems Apple is ditching the Mini-DVI connector. I am still shocked to see Apple using FW800 on the Minis but I'm sure eSATA would be more useful. I also think 5 USB ports is kinda excessive though. 4 would be enough and throw an eSATA port in there. Oh and a non line-leveling sound input would be nice too :).

Why would I need eSATA ports on a mini? Anyone using a mini in a HTPC doesn't need drive speed any faster than FW800/USB 2.0. Yeah eSATA is faster but it only does one thing...connect a drive. With FW and USB you can connect a drive or a bunch of other peripherals as well.

In the end the mini isn't a HTPC by design or focus it's an entry level computer that's the intended usage for a vast majority of Mac mini buyers. Apple would be more likely to deliver an improved Apple TV (which already has HDMI) with a way to access external storage as an improved solution IMO.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
it's an entry level computer

That's exactly the problem most people have with it. There's tons of people (myself included) that are forced to settle with the mini because there's no other option. I don't need the massive power of a macpro, nor do I want that huge box. Just as important- I can't afford one. The mini is perfect size and price point wise, I just wish it had a little bit more bang for the buck. I don't necessarily need more power as my mini suits my needs sufficiently, however I think I paid too much for the machine that I got.

Screw the whole xMac argument, I think apple should just make a more distinct difference between the low-end and high-end mini. Example: $400 low-end mini with specs much like they are- integrated GPU, C2D, replace the mini-dvi with a second mini-dp. $700 high-end with discrete GPU, iX CPU, maybe more ram slots if they could fit it, dual mini-dp that could drive a 30" sans adapter, e-sata, dual 2.5" or single 3.5" standard all in a slightly taller form factor. No need to change the foot print really.

I also don't see why people are so bothered with needing a mini-dp to hdmi adapter. An HDMI port would be virtually useless for anyone not using the mini as an HTPC, plus it would take up a lot of room on the back of the mini which is already cramped enough. Needing to buy a $15 adapter to connect the mini via HDMI is not a deal breaker to me. Apple could even maybe include one with the package much like the mini-dvi to dvi thats in there now.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the problem the mini is no HTPC , but neither is the apple TV a HTPC , dont really sure what the apple TV actually is other then a recorder and itune movie player ,but more and more people use there computers on their TV in the living room , so both the mini and the apple TV together on top of each other , but in one case would be more like a HTPC then add esata and a card reader and ..job done a proper HTPC then sell it for a acceptable price and apple got a winner and more profits through higher sales
and the mini itself is just not really a entry level computer with a price tag for the basic model of £510 (uk price) thats ~$774

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I checked out those Zino's at Dell, looks to me like Apple will need to step up their game. Some very nice configurations can be made indeed. A Radeon HD 4330 512mb. Question is how long for Apple to update Mini? 3-6-9-12 months:confused:

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I think I am going to continue to plan on purchasing a Mac Mini in the next week or so. I kinda feel like I should wait but I could most likely still retain most of the value of the Mini on eBay. If I lost like $100 I wouldn't be too upset to have a Mini to use now for the next two months or so.

bigdaddyp

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
I doubt an imminent update for the Mini. It was updated together with the iMac in the fall, so I imagine the next update will be this coming fall.

What novelties will it include? Surely processor updates, but "just" clockspeed, I am very very dubious towards a Core i5, even Dual. Probably the entry-level model will have a 2.4GHz, the next one will have 2.66GHz and a BTO of 2.8 or 3.06.
HDD size will increase and probably a 4GB standard on the cheaper model. The new integrated Nvidia card found on the thirteen-inchers will be added too.

This is a safe time to buy a Mini, imho. It's a another 6 months to the next update. The update wont be anything special, or so i believe, just the typical new integrated chip and minor speed/size bumps in the other hardware.

You know I thought the same thing last year before wwdc. I bought a loaded 13 macbook unibody (I call it the limited edition macbook :D) about 32 days before they released the new update. I knew that they would likely release an update at the event but sweet jesus the price drop just about gave me a heart attack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.