Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I did a clean install, myself. Right now the only real problems are Backup not working and my DHCP problems. I went onto the Apple boards and apparently it's a widespread issue with Panther on school networks in general since most networks are set up in half-assed attempts so Panther has a hard time with them, so I guess it's more the school's idiocy than Apple. Most software problems were taken cared of with updates, although I've noticed that MS Office is now prone to a lot of unexpected quits and beach balls that I never got with Jag. I'm not too sure what is going on with that. Besides that, Panther has been pretty awesome.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
No problems at all.

The only issue I have is with Safari which I know they are working on update now. To me Safari is the only issue I have with it which can always be upgrade separate from the OS.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Re: No problems at all.

I've upgraded several Macs with no problems whatsoever...none...nada.

I've done each of these as updates, no clean installs or reformats. I can't help but wonder if some of the problems people are having are actually due to doing clean installs and having apps that for one reason or another don't like this.

Maybe it's an issue of people having problems due to 3rd party system hacks.

The one thing that I do, which maybe others are not, is I always run whatever disk tools are available for the OS before I've ever done an install.

So with OSX, I've always done a fsk -y or fsk -f, along with repairing permissions before doing an update.

bluedalmatian

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2003
Great Britain
I've found log in times to be about 3 times longer than under 10.2 but I'm not complaining cos 10.3 has cut a minute - yes a minute - off the bootup time!!

kryten2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
I'l be waiting a few days after its released to avoid problems
like the 10.2.8 fiasco a month or so ago

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
The one thing I wish they'd fix is the problem my G4 is having with waking up from sleep. I hit a key to wake up, it wakes up for a second or two, then goes back to sleep, wakes up again, etc. I end up having to power it down and restart it. I know it's a problem specific to the PM G4 and the Radeon 9000 card
( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61697 ), and I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed yet. The technote says it only happens with 10.2, but it's happening with Panther as well.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
No ADC Seed Yet

Just don't get over-anxious about this release. ADC members have yet to take a crack at anything later than the release build, so I'd say it's still a ways off before 10.3.1 is released.

I'd prefer that Apple take its time and address all the issues it can before it sets 10.3.1 upon the masses. As it is, only one of my machines -- my TiBook -- is running Panther 7B85, the remaining 7 are still using Jaguar 10.2.8, because they need to be productive and reliable.

Trust me, I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade our Xserves to Panther Server, but I'm waiting until the x.x.1 release.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by McToast
The QPS 8x4x32x CDRW Firewire problem better be fixed too.

And the Canon LIDE 50 problem. Worked fine in Jag. Now the driver installer app crashes upon load rendering my scanner useless. :rolleyes:

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Originally posted by crees!
I actually just had to call Apple up about Activity Monitor not running. I just had to run Disk Utility and that corrected the permissions. But what I wanted to make note of is the tech guy I talked to said "good" when I told him I did a clean install of Panther.

Just because a technical support guy says "good" does not mean that the other way is any better or worse. It could just mean that there is less for the tech support guy to worry about. It is a heck of a lot easier to trouble-shoot a clean install with a person who set it up than a system that has been running for months and says, "I donno, my brother set it up."

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by IndyGopher
... I never got reliable Windows->Mac networking to work for more than a day or two with Jaguar.

Trying to do Mac -> Windows networking with VPN over SMB is a good way to get eternal beachballs, and it seems worse under Panther than Jaguar.

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
i have panther on my new powerbook and jag on both my work computers, I really don't like working on jag anymore and haven't had any issues with Panther. However...

The networking is different though, I have yet to figure out how to "connect to server" and have the thing display on my desktop without typing in the IP address.

myoung6923

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2003
Very Happy with Panther

I'm not sure why so many people seem to be having so many problems with Panther. I didn't do a clean install - I even installed an old hard drive into a firewire enclosure with 10.2.8 on it & all the apps still run fine on 10.3. Networking couldn't be easier - I've got 2 windows 2000 machines on my network & they connect even easier than on Jaguar (which worked good too). You can just click on network on the left side of any open window and *poof* panther finds any shared volumes - click on them, type login & password info & you're in. Or, connect to server once by typing in the IP and it remebers it next time. Even easier - if it could be - once you've mounted a shared volume, drag it's icon onto your dock & make sure to click to save it's password on your keychain - then you can just click it's icon on your dock next time & don't even have to type a login or password! Wow!! Love IT!!

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by e-coli
And the Canon LIDE 50 problem. Worked fine in Jag. Now the driver installer app crashes upon load rendering my scanner useless. :rolleyes:

I have the LiDE 30, but haven't tried installing it yet. Hell... let me try now....

edit: The installers for mine worked just fine. I suggest downloading them again from canon's site.

Ah... the sweet truth about having a 3% marketshare is that you only have about 37 beta testers and can't possibly be exposed to the variety of problems that your installed base (much more than 3%) will face.

On the plus side, you can be sure that everyone over at Apple is hearing about the bevy of problems associated with 10.3.

On the down side, if you didn't buy your machine within the past 24 months, there's a good chance that Apple won't give a flying fsck about you unless there is a threat of a legitimate lawsuit.

I'm personally tired of holding my breath for this company to take ethically sound steps and am reverting back to 10.2 until either some vigilant programmer tackles the issue with a creative hack or Fruit Co. 's bean counter realizes it's affecting a significantly large segment of the user base to affect popular opinion and possibly future sales.

The ethically valiant image that the fanatics hold true died long ago and the pragmatists among us have long since side-stepped the Kool Aid.

Let us watch it play out....

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
"37 beta testers". Mmmmkay...

Apple has an extensive seed program for its OS updates, including volunteers (such as myself), as well as ADC members and others.

My feeling is that for some reason they felt the need to hit the 10/24 deadline regardless of the bugs still present. Who knows why.

I agree it's bad practice, but pointing it at lack of testing is just not accurate.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I've had a problem with using the network every since upgrading to Panther. The DHCP won't release and obtain a new address itself, instead, I have to choose manual and whenever the internet stops working, I have to type in a random IP address to get it to work again.
Do you mean "re-lease" instead of "release"? Hyphens are wonderful things. :)

Anyway, have you tried the "Renew DHCP Lease" button in the Network prefpane?

HTH
WM

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
That button doesn't do anything at all when I click on it. The only way I can get it to work is if I take the IP address and manually change the last series of numbers with some random number every so often. I never had the problem in Jag, don't have the problem with my other PowerBook in OS 9, and my roommate doesn't have the problem with XP. I installed OS X onto my other PowerBook and resulted in the same problem, so it must be Panther that is the culprit.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
That button doesn't do anything at all when I click on it. The only way I can get it to work is if I take the IP address and manually change the last series of numbers with some random number every so often. I never had the problem in Jag, don't have the problem with my other PowerBook in OS 9, and my roommate doesn't have the problem with XP. I installed OS X onto my other PowerBook and resulted in the same problem, so it must be Panther that is the culprit.
Mmkay. Hopefully they'll fix it.

A little off-topic, but it seems to me like, aside from the FireWire drive issues, 10.3.0 has been quite a bit more stable and bug-free than 10.2.0, but people still complain about how horrible Panther is...we just can't expect that it'll be perfect. But it's been running very, very well on our iBook SE and iMac G4, FWIW.

WM

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I can understand that there will be bugs, it's just that the DHCP issue is pretty major and I need the internet to be reliable for schoolwork since my college is so obsessed with being "paper free", so an issue like this is a major problem which has me stuck switching back to my old PowerBook running OS 9 more than a few occasions.

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
When Safari ask me if I want to add a new login/password to my keychains, I say yes. This has always been helpful, but in Panther Safari will not remember them. There has been some issues with my keychains in iChat and Mail as well.

In addition, I can not get Appleworks to run. It immediately quits every time I try to launch it.

Hopefully 10.3.1 will address some of these issues.

A

AhmedFaisal

Three major issues I want fixed

1. I want to be able again to hardmount network drives. Since they removed the network browser function in the Connect to Server dialog they should at least allow me to hardmount stuff out of the Finder and also they should list softmounted servers on the sidebar because softmounted servers going offline freezes Finder as successfully as hardmounted ones.

2. I want the input line in the File>Open dialog of programs again. I am working a lot with hidden folders and having to create an icon to them in the sidebar before I can access its content in programs is a royal pain in the ass. I want to be able to manually enter the paths again in the open dialog.

3. I finally want an option to completely detox the bouncing crap in the dock!! Ok, there was a haxie from unsanity that did the job so far but I believe this should be an option in the way you configure the dock in system preferences in the first place.
Regards,

Bjoern

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
"37 beta testers". Mmmmkay...

Apple has an extensive seed program for its OS updates, including volunteers (such as myself), as well as ADC members and others.

My feeling is that for some reason they felt the need to hit the 10/24 deadline regardless of the bugs still present. Who knows why.

I agree it's bad practice, but pointing it at lack of testing is just not accurate.

Alright, I was being facetious, ;) , but they had already given themselves to the "end of the year" before setting 10/24 and considering how many people use two monitors AND the fact that these monitors were supported in 10.2... this either seems negligent or intentional. As opposed to what I do not know.

-anxiously awaiting a fix or a hack that works for me...

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Apple needs to resupport all the 3rd party video cards that mysteriously vanished in 10.3. My 2nd monitor with an ATI xClaim 3D plus is a useless 640x480, 8 color mess!!

idiots...

:mad:

EXACTLY what he said, here at work we've got about five people that had dual monitors and now their second monitor is a uselss 640x480, 8 color mess. Using the said ATi xClaim 3D card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.