Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Alright, I was being facetious, ;) , but they had already given themselves to the "end of the year" before setting 10/24 and considering how many people use two monitors AND the fact that these monitors were supported in 10.2... this either seems negligent or intentional. As opposed to what I do not know.

-anxiously awaiting a fix or a hack that works for me...

It would have been nice that Apple would mention it prior to your upgrading.

Still, as so many of us have learned, legacy equipment doesn't live forever in Mac OS X. My Rage 128 card is fine, for now, but I expect that they will define a new minimum and this won't be that capable.

lynnpye

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Re: Re: Data Corruption

Originally posted by Lancetx
That was my thinking all along. If this was an "Apple problem" why then are the fixes coming in the form of firmware updates to the drives from the manufacturers and not as OS fixes from Apple? Of course the tech rags aren't following up on this aspect of it, their entire agenda was to make Apple look bad anyway.
What bugs me about this line of thinking is this...if it was a problem with the firmware, strictly speaking, then why did these drives not have such problems with 10.2.* and below?

I'm guessing that the firmware patch is coming out because Oxford is trying to patch around a problem Apple introduced with 10.3 that was not present with 10.2 and earlier. Another possibility is some sort of specification detail. For instance, Oxford may have implemented according to a spec, but sloppily. 10.3 may have tightened up on how the spec is read, so now Oxford's drives have problems that only show up with 10.3. A firmware fix could then fix how the spec was implemented. Mind you, in such a case, Oxford wouldn't necessarily have done anything *wrong* just that 10.3 wanted things to be a little tighter.

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Re: Three major issues I want fixed

Originally posted by AhmedFaisal
1. I want to be able again to hardmount network drives. Since they removed the network browser function in the Connect to Server dialog they should at least allow me to hardmount stuff out of the Finder and also they should list softmounted servers on the sidebar because softmounted servers going offline freezes Finder as successfully as hardmounted ones...

This bothered me for a while too... you could navigate to the "Network" through the Finder window, but I hated doing that every time I wanted to go to this network directory. Also, Panther seems to store a separate instance for every time I navigate to that server, so when I sleep and wake again I have several messages saying the server is no longer available.

I finally figured out the "Connect To Server" thing, and it is not as Mac friendly as it should be. All you need to do is type in the name and directory in the Server Address field, and Appletalk servers will work fine. For some reason, it assumes that the connection protocol is "atp" and I couldn't get other protocols to work yet.

So to access an Appleshare server that is on your local network, just type the computer name, and the disk name like this:

"[MacNetworkName]/[SharedDirectory]"
or
"Server/Shared"

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Alright, I was being facetious, ;) , but they had already given themselves to the "end of the year" before setting 10/24 and considering how many people use two monitors AND the fact that these monitors were supported in 10.2... this either seems negligent or intentional. As opposed to what I do not know.

-anxiously awaiting a fix or a hack that works for me...

I figured as much, but the felt the need to respond anyway. :p

I think the testing efforts were good, though arbitrarily cut short, as we've both noted.

What's the dual monitor issue?

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
What's the dual monitor issue?

3rd party cards (of course) not being supported, namely some ATI xClaim , GeForce 4, and Formac cards, which worked fine in 10.2. I get a 640x480 16 color display (useless).

Supposedly 10.3 doesn't look to the cards for ROM drivers (or something like that). There was a terminal hack that made it look, and that worked for some people, but made 10.3 unbootable for others (me included).

There are at least 3 threads dedicated to this over on the Apple discussion boards. I just hope there's a quick fix or I'll be booting back to Jag.. :(

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by crees!
I have the LiDE 30, but haven't tried installing it yet. Hell... let me try now....

edit: The installers for mine worked just fine. I suggest downloading them again from canon's site.

The driver app for the LIDE 20 and 30 is different from that which installs the necessary things for the LIDE 50.

Also, ImageCapture works with the LIDE 20 and 30, but not with the 50. Why would they support the cheapy models and not the good one?

Harumph.

Levon River

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2003
The Other Nashville
Re: Data Corruption

Originally posted by daveL
I find it interesting that the fix for the fw800 data corruption issue is coming from Oxford, NOT from Apple.

What the Oxford fix does is update 922 firmware from a version fully and correctly supported by Apple in earlier OS versions, but that Apple disastrously omitted support for in Panther.

I wonder if all the tech rags that dumped on Apple for this problem will update the stories to reflect the fact that the fix was Oxford firmware, not Panther patches.

Why should they? If anything, they should applaud Oxford for providing a fast fix for users who became victims of Apple's disastrous omission while Apple (creator of firewire) took the fiddling-while-firewire-burns pose that it had nothing to do with them.

Levon River

macdrew

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2003
just installed 10.3.1

well, found the update and did what any true mac user would do... installed it and rebooted... it's only about 1.3 in size, and don't see anything obvious except for the US flag is now stuck up on the menu bar and I can't remove it... Limewire still doesn't work even though there were some Java fixes... which i had more info, but it seems solid, just like 10.3.

My wish list for fixes are: It remembering when I don't want to view all the HD, Folders in a window when I tell it NOT TO... and stronger stickiness of the main Boot Volume to stay in the UPPER RIGHT Corner... I have a LOT of desktop icons, but now very close to the upper right corner, but STILL my HD jumps around... Fix this!!!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'm always having to move my HD icon, too. It moves especially after I finish playing a game. I think switching screen resolutions causes it to jump to the left for some reason.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Well, you're the only one that has it. It's not up on the developer site or software update.

Kingsfoil13

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2003
Troy, NY
10.3.0 Upgrade

I installed the 10.3 upgrade over a 10.2 clean install on my Dual 2Ghz G5, and have had no problems. Both before and after, I have yet to suffer any crashed apps (save for my first-ever Out of RAM error when rendering a scene of 1,000,000+ polygons in Cinema4D) or networking problems. I routinely share files with my IBM laptop and other machines on my network.

A 10.3. update would be welcome, but I'm not waiting with bated breath. Some genuinely useful new features (or those that we miss from earlier OS Xs! ) would be much better than another 10.2.8 fiasco. Right now Panther is rock-steady as far as I'm concerned.

(At least my external LaCie 200GB is USB 2.0 .... )

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Overall, Panther has been pretty good. I think I finally tackled a majority of my networking problems by complaining to the IT guys in the library for the past two weeks about the lousy network and they did some changes, but the network still goes down at least once a day because their XP Pro servers keep getting viruses and overload and become unstable during high traffic times. Now that Backup 2 is out and finally working with Panther and a majority of my programs have been updated to work with Panther, it is running pretty well. Funny thing, though, Age of Empires II sometimes crashed on start and Word unexpectedly quits on opening a file (both MS programs, too) now for whatever reason. I did a cache cleaning, permissions repair, and ran the daily and weekly scripts in terminal so hopefully that will fix that. I'm rather pleased in general, and I even found that even more programs that previously refused to work under Classic finally install and run so they must have did something to improve it.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
I've had no problems with Panther either. But, I do know that I am going to need to buy a new Mac soon. 5 Years and this baby is still kicking butt. A 500 MHz G4 with Panther is very quick. I am thinking many of the users having problems have machines that pre-date the 1999 Mac's. I think if that is the case (notice the word "if") you'd be better off buying or leasing an eMac, their cheap and its time. I won't blame Apple next year if 10.4 doesn't work on my Mac, it'll be Six years. I got more than my monies worth. (I've gone through 5 Wintels in the same time frame.)

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
wish list

i hope apple fixes some irritating issues SOON:

• panther unable to assign and release IP addresses (annoying when you have to reset cable modem everyday)

• disc image does not reappear on desktop after burns

• fontbook is USELESS

• if i have to explain to people 1 more time to dump sherlock prefs in order for their channels to show up i'm going to scream

• when downloading pics from internet always get two instead of one

• when showing icon preview on desktop half the image is grey

other than that i love panther! :p

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
just hope they fix the notworking behaviour

on mobile computers...

I do like the new of of browsing via network to the netwark shares... but how the hell can I unmount them again without becoming root in the shell ond fiddling with the mount command?

I start and restart and hit 'disconnect' about a million times when these popups alert me that my share has gone... only to pop up again after I said to disconnect, ok or whatever...

I just don't get it.
Also, when using samba 3.0 on linux, there are quite some problems with the encoding of filenames. Tunrs out that the finder just - what? - crashes? no, it doesn't crash, the network share just disapperas, never to be used again.
It seems I fixed that with using latin-1 instead of the default UTF-8 fileencoding on the linux samba.

I did get suspicous after seeing a lot of Chinese characters instead of my german Umlauts...

I've also experienced problems with big directories. after dividing the files into two dirs, there are suddenly no more problems...
strange.

Anyway, I hink panther is still a great improvement over jaguar.

negrito

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
Switzerland
Re: just hope they fix the notworking behaviour

Originally posted by visor
on mobile computers...

I do like the new of of browsing via network to the netwark shares... but how the hell can I unmount them again without becoming root in the shell ond fiddling with the mount command?

I start and restart and hit 'disconnect' about a million times when these popups alert me that my share has gone... only to pop up again after I said to disconnect, ok or whatever...

I just don't get it.
Also, when using samba 3.0 on linux, there are quite some problems with the encoding of filenames. Tunrs out that the finder just - what? - crashes? no, it doesn't crash, the network share just disapperas, never to be used again.
It seems I fixed that with using latin-1 instead of the default UTF-8 fileencoding on the linux samba.

I did get suspicous after seeing a lot of Chinese characters instead of my german Umlauts...

I've also experienced problems with big directories. after dividing the files into two dirs, there are suddenly no more problems...
strange.

Anyway, I hink panther is still a great improvement over jaguar.

those are also my thoughts! i just can't believe how they could mess up network browsing so bad.

in fact to disconnect fom a server you have to go to the server you connected to and you have to chose 'eject server ' from the action menu.

it would be so simple: just show me all connected servers in my side bar list just like mounted disk images or harddisks. and also show them on my desktop and everything would be ok.

it is horrible to see the beachball and you don't know why just because of a server that disconnected. btw this is also a bad behaviour from the finder that it freezes when a server disconnects.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Network servers still show up on the desktop if you have your Finder prefs set accordingly. You can still eject them the "old fashioned" way.

nek

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by youngr40
Lets hope they address some issues.

I find Mail keep crashing, and loosing preferences.

I loose preferences generally

Safari often crashes...

I have happily sent back details to Apple when each App crashes since it asks me to do so.
Have you been using FileVault? Maybe I'm wrong but aren't those the kind of problems mentioned with the bug in FileVault.

Apple needs to resupport all the 3rd party video cards that mysteriously vanished in 10.3. My 2nd monitor with an ATI xClaim 3D plus is a useless 640x480, 8 color mess!!
If it worked fine in 10.2, then I agree that its odd that it doesn't work in 10.3. But you also have to consider the fact that even ATI doesn't support their own cards older than XCLAIM VR 128 in Mac OS X. Drivers for 3rd party cards are largely the responsibility of the 3rd parties.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
10.3.1 officially out, and still no fix that doesn't require a vendor update their firmware as far as Firewire is concerned. Still no official recognition of the Firewire 400 issues people have been having. The Readme that comes with the update even says contact the vendor for the firmware update.

My four vendors have no firmware update available.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
The thing I was hoping it would also address is my IP address not reissuing by itself like it should. I haven't been able to stay online long enough to tell if it is fixed or not, but by tomorrow I should see if the internet is working like it should. As far as Expose not working smoothly, it seems smooth as silk to me, perhaps it's a video card issue? I just wish the windows didn't get as blurry when it is active.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.