Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by Sherman
I hope it fixes the huge display issue with iBook SE's where it won't let you change the ColorSync profile from the native one which makes it really bright and washed out. It's hard to read black text on white background with it like that.
Not having that problem on an iBook SE 366 with 10.3 (haven't rebooted since 10.3.1 came out so I haven't installed it). I'm using a SuperCal profile created under Jaguar...10.3 found and used it on first boot.

And you know, this thing has been incrementally upgraded from 10.0 --> 10.0.4 --> 10.1 --> 10.1.1...10.1.5 --> 10.2 --> 10.2.1...10.2.6 --> 10.3. No archive installs (not enough disk space). I've never run Disk First Aid (although the Panther installer runs it automatically) and I've only repaired permissions like twice in all that time--about 26 months now. And I can't say I'm really having any problems.

Just a contrast to all those stability issues--I don't doubt their validity, but not everyone experiences them.... Looks like someone's already come up with a fix for your issue, so obviously quite a few people are experiencing it, but honestly I hadn't heard of it before now...

FWIW
WM

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by macMaestro
10.3.2???

At this rate we'll hit 10.3.15 before we get 10.4. :p
Hey if Apple puts out incremental fixes every 2 or 3 weeks, I don't care what the version number goes up to.

This means the have a few specific things to test in each new minor upgrade so they get tested faster and better. (Hopefully.)

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Hopefully this fixes what I would call a bug - the stupid idea that we are suppose to "browse" our local servers rather than mount them on the Desktops like every other version of Mac OS I've used...:rolleyes:

hamishb

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2002
Vic, Australia
Java broken in 10.3.1?

I use Westpac's great internet banking http://www.westpac.com.au

Works fine in 10.2.8 (I have dual boot 10.3.1 and 10.2.8) whereas in Panther the page doesn't render properly at all (tried Safari, IE, Camino). There is meant to be a list of choices on the left hand side which is missing in Panther.

Hope Java 1.4.2 fixes this.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
Yeah, I have been having issues with Paanther as well.

Since I installed it, at random exposé and the dock will just stop working. I have no idea what causes this problem, it just happens. This needs to get fixed and fixed ASAP. Never had to do a restart once a week with Jaguar.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Well since everyone has stories of problems I just thought I would chime in and say...........................................
I have no serious problems whatsoever. My biggest problem I had with 10.3 is that the translucency setting of the floating clock wouldn't stay set though logging out and back in. 10.3.1 fixed that. Now my only problem is I can't get the scroll wheel speed setting to stay put. Other then that 10.3 has been nothing but pure joy runs faster smother and more solid then 10.2 ever did.

youngr40

macrumors member
May 23, 2003
UK
Couple of issues here . . .

Often Apps will crash, require a force quit of I have no rebooted for a number od days. In particular, iPhoto, Safari and Excel.

Often items on desktop will disappear for a short while, and repear, this happens if try and slect them and move them to a folder on the hard disk.

Also if I do a Save and I recently has browsed to network server, and it is no-long available, the spining balls appears and it will crash the app.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
If anything panther fixed alot more problems... i had problems with language settings on 10.2.7... even with the default install cd that came with my pb.

Im very happy with Panther so far, people saying about nvidia preformance...well it runs a bit faster than 10.2.7...then again i've not got a GeforceFX elsewhere so i dont know what to expect :)

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
I haven't had any problems with Panther X.3(.1) either, it's performance is excellent.

Safari has crashed quite frequently though, usually when I have 10 or more tabs open. I've since ditched it and went back to Camino (Nightly Build: 2003111414) which is working incredibly well. I think I'll stay with Mike Pinkerton's baby.

With regard to ColorSync, out of curiosity I ran a verify on the profiles and 19 required repairing. Running repair fixed 17 of the profiles. This was on a quite recent fresh Panther install ??!!??

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I had that problem with the factory install of 10.2.7 on my PowerBook, I had some issues where it'd get washed out and lines would appear after playing a game so I went to the colorsync repair and it detected 4 profiles that needed repair.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Hope it fixes Samba browsing.

Under Jaq I could see all machines on my companys network. Now, I can only see the domains and workgroups - no PCs :-(

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Has happened once to me as well.

Originally posted by Tux Kapono
My iBook (G3 w/ Panther) froze three times in a week already, either while on iTunes or playing videos. The screen would freeze while the mouse was still active, then the mouse would freeze a few seconds later and I'd have to restart. My iBook used to freeze once every six months.

I'm just saving a lot while I await 10.3.2 and pray that it fixes this.

I think it had to do something with me having the computer on for too long. For some reason my computer doesnt like staying on for days at a time. So i shut down each night and problems solved. It might have something to do with my 3rd party RAM or some other wierd issue.
I hope the update fixes this problem too.

Edit: I forgot to say I have an ibook G3 as well with 10.3.1

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Could those of you that are having freezing problems and application crashes either update your post or make a new post explaining your problem and what method of installation you performed. I'd like to know this and it may help me and others fix the problems for you.

I have not had any of the freezing problems and I have had my computer on for more then a couple weeks at a time since 10.3 and 10.3.1 came out. Also I use Safari exclusively and often with 25 plus tabs open.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I too have been free of freezes, crashes, or odd application quits with Panther, but I did a clean install, so I would expect it to be flawless since being on a clean install without any Jaguar or 3rd party files lurking around to cause a problem.

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
There is no fix, and SuperCal doesn't calibrate it correctly.

It also DELETED all my old profiles that were correct for this display, a huge problem.

As of now, I have to launch classic and use it's monitor control panel, which is reset when I log out. Big frustration.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Sherman
There is no fix, and SuperCal doesn't calibrate it correctly.

It also DELETED all my old profiles that were correct for this display, a huge problem.

As of now, I have to launch classic and use it's monitor control panel, which is reset when I log out. Big frustration.

What kind of system install did you do when you went to 10.3?

Originally posted by MacBandit
When 10.2 came out we had 10.2.1 in two weeks and 10.2.2 in under 3 weeks after that. So we're at about the same time schedule.

So those who rushed out and installed 10.3 and got bit by bugs (or catastrophic data loss) should have known to wait? :D

If 10.3.2 ads 2nd monitor support for Apple BTO systems (ATI XClaim 3D Pro in my case, I'll give it another shot, otherwise I'm staying in Jaguar.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
At least we won't have to pay $129 for 10.3.15!

Apple might have to start going with the triple dot version numbers.

Such as

Then you would be paying $129 for a double point release :)

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by Dippo
Apple might have to start going with the triple dot version numbers.

Off topic, but I've been wondering when Apple's going to remove the 10 from the version number to get around the branding problem.

Then they could call this OSX version 3.2 and start to get around the whole "I won't pay $129 for a dot release" issue without having to worry about an OSXI

It won't happen for any of the Panther dot releases, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it sooner than later.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
I recently upgraded to Panther 10.3.1 and I have had little problems.

Performance has increased dramatically and the new features make Panther a joy to use.

I upgraded from 10.2.6 -> 10.3 -> 10.3.1

The only problems I had was a software conflic with Slik (caused my programs to crash). But i deleted it. Norton Personal Firewall doesn't work and Safari wont even launch. So I have to use Camino at the moment, I will try reinstalling Safari. I already try using Safari in another user name, deleted the proferences and cache, but no luck.

Also at school I have to set up Mac OS 10.3 server to connect with the Active Directory network, but it cant bind eventhough all the details are correct and many more people have this problem. I cant bind on the client either.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
So those who rushed out and installed 10.3 and got bit by bugs (or catastrophic data loss) should have known to wait? :D

If 10.3.2 ads 2nd monitor support for Apple BTO systems (ATI XClaim 3D Pro in my case, I'll give it another shot, otherwise I'm staying in Jaguar.

No I was just saying that I don't think based on the rate of updates that we should see any higher version numbers then we did with 10.2.

As for the bugs I haven't seen any of them. I think most of them are do to a dirty installation on top of a previously dirty system.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
i agree...
with 10.3 if you "upgrade" (and sometimes even the "archive and install" option) you get a really funky system folder with mostly compatible versions of files...
it was time for me to wipe my HD anyway...
i think they should just keep going...cause in like a year we'll have 10.3.68...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.