Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
i agree...
with 10.3 if you "upgrade" (and sometimes even the "archive and install" option) you get a really funky system folder with mostly compatible versions of files...
it was time for me to wipe my HD anyway...
i think they should just keep going...cause in like a year we'll have 10.3.68...

Unlikely they would ever make it to such a high update number. Besides if they did so why would we need 10.4?

System installs are typically that way and no matter how much I preach the clean install there are still those that do a dirty update and ask why they are having problems. I just wish Apple would speak the truth about system installs and tell people that things will work much better if they do a clean install. Also Apple needs to push the data backup wagon a little harder. People scream when they lose data even though it's there own damn fault in most cases.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Originally posted by MacBandit
those that do a dirty update and ask why they are having problems. I just wish Apple would speak the truth about system installs and tell people that things will work much better if they do a clean install.
Reading the boards I did a clean install on my G5, and it went flawless. Or so I thought.

I'd backed up my apps, but not the iApps. They ship with the OS, right? Wrong. iDVD wasn't on the Panther disks. Now, it turns out that it was easily recoverable from the Restore disk. However...

a) The AppleCare guy didn't know how to do this (took 50 minutes on the phone, trips to talk to someone else, etc). His advice: go back to Jag, then re-upgrade as an upgrade.

b) The guy in the Palo Alto Apple Store didn't either. That's both the Genius :) and the sales guy. When I told him my story he said: don't read the boards. Never do a clean install. Then he sold me iLife for $49. Then, guess what? iLife doesn't run on the G5!!! Seriously. Read the box. iDVD majorly crashes. Not just the app - it freezes the machine. Repeatedly, predictably, quickly.

c) New AppleCare guy figures it all out. Easy Restore of iDVD & it works fine. We'll see if I can get my $49 back from the store.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by sososowhat
Reading the boards I did a clean install on my G5, and it went flawless. Or so I thought.

I'd backed up my apps, but not the iApps. They ship with the OS, right? Wrong. iDVD wasn't on the Panther disks. Now, it turns out that it was easily recoverable from the Restore disk. However...

a) The AppleCare guy didn't know how to do this (took 50 minutes on the phone, trips to talk to someone else, etc). His advice: go back to Jag, then re-upgrade as an upgrade.

b) The guy in the Palo Alto Apple Store didn't either. That's both the Genius :) and the sales guy. When I told him my story he said: don't read the boards. Never do a clean install. Then he sold me iLife for $49. Then, guess what? iLife doesn't run on the G5!!! Seriously. Read the box. iDVD majorly crashes. Not just the app - it freezes the machine. Repeatedly, predictably, quickly.

c) New AppleCare guy figures it all out. Easy Restore of iDVD & it works fine. We'll see if I can get my $49 back from the store.

The more I go into the AppleStores the less I'm impressed with them. Specifically the level of knowledge. I swear all they do is hire someone with no knowledge put him through 10 hours of training and call him a genius.

Next time go ahead and post a question here on the boards that you were told not to read and I or someone else would be happy to help you. The restore thing is a pretty simple answer after all.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
That's pretty insane, even a random Apple amateur could tell you that iDVD would be provided on the Restore Disc that came with your system. It sounds like they wanted to milk you out of $50, which I can't understand the use of buying iLife if they all come with your Macintosh in the first place.

As far as doing a clean install of your OS, there is no reason why it would be a bad thing, typically, the ideal install is to do a clean format and install to ensure the most compatibility and stability.

Sublime

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
LBC
Samba

Originally posted by Stella
Hope it fixes Samba browsing.

Under Jaq I could see all machines on my companys network. Now, I can only see the domains and workgroups - no PCs :-(

Yeah my samba browsing is bad on my ibook, even with the new 10.3.2 update. What's funny is my old G3 B&W works fine. On my iBook I can get to the folder I want but it appears empty.

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Originally posted by sososowhat

You could have reinstalled iDVD through Pacifist and saved yourself all that ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.