Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by Longey Nowze
I have something similar to this, I have the CHUD Tools installed and when I go to the Hardware pref pane, I find that my L2 cache is disabled! I enable it, but when I go back to check on it, I find that it's disabled! I posted about itat apple support forums I dont know what the problem is really hope they fix it!

Thanks
MaT

I had that problem. I used the CHUD remover application, downloaded the latest CHUD version from the Apple developer website and it's fine now. I think the CHUD installer on the 10.3 developer tools CD doesn't install all of the necessary components.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
has anyone witnessed the problem i reported with the Help application crashing??? I'm just curious if anyone else is having this issue.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
I hope it comes soon... Im waiting for it before I play Halo, that way I have all the new video drivers loaded before I try that sucker out when I get it on Monday.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
nVidia drivers.

There are no new bugs, usually the updates are bug fixes and nothing more. Poor performance generally (noticed by users) due to factors such as texture purging and thread reentrance (noticed by game developers) are just the tip of the iceberg, the only solace being that it's pretty much the same on the PC side.

God knows why people are so hostile, just ask and people will expand. Most Mac users with nVidia cards are well aware of the driver shortfalls, I was just letting people know the situation still hasn't changed.

AppleMatt

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Its unfortunate that the generation of video card I have (GeForce4 Ti 128) is right behind the technology that I want... does anyone know if you can enable FSAA or pixel shading on my video card?

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by AppleMatt
nVidia drivers.

There are no new bugs, usually the updates are bug fixes and nothing more. Poor performance generally (noticed by users) due to factors such as texture purging and thread reentrance (noticed by game developers) are just the tip of the iceberg, the only solace being that it's pretty much the same on the PC side.
OK, thank you. We do have a Mac with a nVidia card (700 MHz G4 iMac--so it's a GF2MX), so I do have an interest in what the nVidia drivers are like, but this is pretty much the first time I've heard that the drivers in Panther were leading to subpar performance. I think.
God knows why people are so hostile, just ask and people will expand. Most Mac users with nVidia cards are well aware of the driver shortfalls, I was just letting people know the situation still hasn't changed.
I, at least, wasn't pissed at you so much as at the other guy. I'm sure people who already knew what the situation was appreciated your update. But apparently I and someone else didn't know about this driver suckiness, so he asked and got a pretty unhelpful response. Which is when I jumped in.

WM

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Thank you AppleMatt for the additional info! It's too bad that there are still problems with the final nVidia drivers. I would think it would be especially frustrating for game developers since there are problems on both PCs and Macs.

I just didn't get the person who said that people who cared already knew (I quoted you so it'd be clear what his comments were about). Especially since many of us have nVidia cards in our machines, at least we'd like to know if the problems would or wouldn't affect us. And I'd be willing to wager that everyone who posts here, a rumors site, cares about more than they strictly need to know about Macs.

Then again, maybe DeusOmnis was being less than cooperative because the post by whoever said "vague negativity serves no purpose" might have been taken as less than constructive...I guess everyone just has to think about how their posts might be taken, including me.

Why can't we all just get along?!? :)

So I do appreciate you explaining.

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
thanks!

Originally posted by JBracy
I had that problem. I used the CHUD remover application, downloaded the latest CHUD version from the Apple developer website and it's fine now. I think the CHUD installer on the 10.3 developer tools CD doesn't install all of the necessary components.

Thanks! the exact thing was posted at the apple support forums! after i downloaded the new CHUD tools, removed the old and installed the ones everything works fine! the one that came with panther is version 3.0 the ones are version 3.0.2

Thank You
MaT

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Originally posted by spencecb
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I install a new system on my PowerBook, the "Help" application never works until the OS has been updated a few times...just thought this was weird and wondered if anyone else has or has had this problem.

I don't have this problem on my Powerbook (Rev. B, Panther preinstalled), but my girlfriend's Help application starts, brings up a blank window, and then shuts down immediately. She's on a new iBook (Panther preinstalled too). I was thinking an OS reinstall might help, but maybe I'll tell her to wait for the next update.

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
The people who care already know.
Definitely not a helpful comment.

Thanks to all the others, however, who did post helpful comments :) I have a 733mhz G4 tower with the nVidia GeForce2MX card, and was--like some others--unaware of any driver problems.

I'm not much of a gamer, the only graphics intense programs that I use are XPlane and occasionally The Sims... no problems in either. I've never had any troubles with general photoshopping or standard OS tasks or my limited video work.

Under what circumstances have people had trouble with nVidia cards?

Anyway, updates are never a bad thing (except that original 10.2.8 ... Think Different, right?). I haven't had any troubles with Panther thus far, but I'm a reckless Software Updater and love to have the newest version number :) so bring it on!

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I'm glad a few more people are aware of the nVidia driver shortfalls, I thought "everyone" knew but was obviously mistaken. Thanks for the thanks on expanding on it :)

I'm collecting quite a bit of information on it, and I notice that in the new 10.3.2 build thread (7D24), a driver discussion has started already. I'm thinking of starting a completely new thread within perhaps Gaming or Panther discussing this, when I have more info. Also I'll start drafting messages to nVidia and related companies, see if there's anything specific they're working on.

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.