Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I don't know if this deserves Page Two status -- though I don't think anyone is very excited about this. I thought 10.3.3 would bring us new G5s. Maybe the release of this update will proceed a G5 PM update.

DrGruv1

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Chicago - West 'Burbs
I thought 10.3.3 was setting up Core Audio for LOGIC 7

I was hoping that the Core Audio improvements meant that Logic 7 was coming...

Still Looking...

People have said that apple was going to release a pro tools killer...

WHEN? :)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
numediaman said:
I don't know if this deserves Page Two status -- though I don't think anyone is very excited about this. I thought 10.3.3 would bring us new G5s. Maybe the release of this update will proceed a G5 PM update.

Just hold your horses till WWDC then you'll see PM updates.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I wonder if this will finally satisfy the panther naysayers?? :rolleyes: I guess that depends if all the bugs are fixed. I love Panther... it's soooo much IMHO better than Jaguar, but it seems less stable and I get more kernal panics. Hopefully these are just bugs and they will be fixed soon!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Calebj14 said:
I wonder if this will finally satisfy the panther naysayers?? :rolleyes: I guess that depends if all the bugs are fixed. I love Panther... it's soooo much IMHO better than Jaguar, but it seems less stable and I get more kernal panics. Hopefully these are just bugs and they will be fixed soon!

It will be impossible to fix all of the bugs in any significant software. Now, if they can squish most of the big ones and relegate the small ones to the background, that would be good.

I've seen one kernel panic since 10.3.3 and a lot of cleanup but it's been reasonably stable for me.

ij3ffy

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
Chicago
I think thats good news. A lot of people slam OS X developement because of the number of updates, and some feel that they "Rush" out OS X therefore requiring multiple updates to resolve problems. But I look at it as a constant work in progress, always being refined and polished.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
Calebj14 said:

i didn't know people thought it was less stable...i've found it many times more stable than jaguar...but thats just my experience.

it could also have to do with my upgrading my RAM about the time panther came out...

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
The interesting thing to me is that Apple is able to continually develop OS X with major upgrades on close to an annual basis and continual tweaks during the year. Sure, the annual upgrades cost $129 - which I'm happy to pay - but the tweaks are free. How can they keep this up when MS is flopping around year after year with Longhorn?

Keep it up Apple - you're the only one delivering significant upgrades on a continual basis!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
- Application Compatibility

This update includes a fix that may result in a performance gain in launching applications that aren't prebound. Please test your applications to make surethat they still launch properly. If you crash during launch please file a radar with the Crash Report, do not click the submit to Apple button only.

- Device Compatibility

We have taken a small number of changes that may impact devices (SCSI drives, USB Flash Media, TWAIN scanners, iPods & some PC Cards). Some additional devices include Audio FireWire and connecting an iPod via USB 2.0. - Other major areas of change:Core OS, Graphics, OpenGL, Core Audio, High Level Toolbox.

Known Issues

On certain machines, Quartz Extreme may be disable which causes problems with DVD playback, etc.- Some tables may not render correctly in Safari - Holding down a Dock icon to display 'Show In Finder' may cause a redrawproblem - Clicking on Modems in System Profiler may cause a crash- Display resolution is not maintained between logins

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I wonder if this will fix my problem where the menulets keep removing themselves...most annoying as it means i don't have a clock, and most of all the battery runs out without the warning. Its not done it today yet though...touch wood. Also the problem where finder beach balls and freezes when copying anything to a webDAV mount.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
IthinkIgaveuHIV said:
An update to Mac OS 10.3.4 means what, security? Expose?

Sorry, I'm new to the Mac world. :rolleyes:

Its just a general update to Mac OS X.3. If haven't noticed the latest version of Mac OS X is Mac OS X.3.3. I guess you could think of it as kinda like a service pack if you wanted to compare it to the Windows side if that helps. It will usually include fixes to bugs, or sometimes it even has system changes like this previous update did with the Networking part of OS X. This is something that you don't see on a regular basis on the Windows side. So that could be the reason why people sometimes bash Apple for releasing too many updates. I think its a good thing because Apple has to keep moving forward with everything they do. Its not like Apple releases an OS X update every 30 days. Its more like every 60 or 90 days. This just shows that they are dedicated to continuously having the best OS out there making it better. The OS X.3.3 update Apple did a very good job of getting the bugs out of the update and improving the bugs already part of OS X so hopefully they will do the same and not release it until this update has been fully beta tested out.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
numediaman said:
Maybe the release of this update will proceed a G5 PM update.
That's quite possible, and I'm sure you aren't the only one speculating this. But if this is the first build of 10.3.4, then the final version of it probably won't be released for several weeks.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ive heard a lot of complaining about bugs in Panther, but knock on wood i have yet to experience any so far.....i think it is much better than Jaguar, but thats just my sense of things....if i had bugs i would be rather peeved/vexed about it....hopefully we will get some fixes

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
Calebj14 said:

Really? I've never gotten a kernel panic.

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
A few bugs just showed up

In the last week, the computer got stuck at the grey screen with the spinning cog-wheel and got no further. Rebooted with no problems. Two days later on clicking on a menu on a website, I got a kernel panic. Nothing odd since but I wish I knew what was going on. Despite all that, Apple's updates are a lot less of a pain than the SRPs for Windows as they are usually fairly small and only rarely do they create more problems than they were designed to solve.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Guess they're not touching SAMBA anymore... shame they reverted back to mounting all Samba folders instead of making them browsable like windows does.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
ZildjianKX said:
Guess they're not touching SAMBA anymore... shame they reverted back to mounting all Samba folders instead of making them browsable like windows does.

The browse option is still there. So you actually have a choice. Frankly, I like having it on the desktop better. Then its right there when I need it.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ZildjianKX said:
They are still browsable - Apple simply made it so that they mount like any other drive. The reason for having them mount instead of browse-only is that you can create an alias of a mount, which you can't do for a browse-only resource. I've seen quite a few 10.3.2 users on these forums requesting this very feature before 10.3.3 was released.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Calebj14 said:

Do you repair permissions and run MacJanitor regularly? I have 2 Macs right now and upkeep 5 or 6 others and have not ever had kernel panics or really bad crashes (unless I do something stupid, or there is faulty hardware). This is especially true with my 12" PBook.
On some of the machines I take care of when their owners tell me something is wrong, it's usually lack of upkeep.
Make sure you do these things and you should be in good shape. And remember- don't turn off your Powerbook, just put it to sleep. But do run MacJanitor (search VersionTracker.com) every other week or so.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Kernel Panics

Calebj14 said:
... I love Panther... it's soooo much IMHO better than Jaguar, but it seems less stable and I get more kernal panics. Hopefully these are just bugs and they will be fixed soon!

Under what conditions do you get kernel panics? I presume you are a "power user"? (Isn't that a flattering title!? :cool: )

simply258

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2003
Bahrain
DrGruv1 said:
People have said that apple was going to release a pro tools killer...

WHEN? :)
Maybe that was Motion

EDIT: sorry thought you meant a pro app then realised pro tools was an audio app.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
floatingspirit said:
Under what conditions do you get kernel panics? I presume you are a "power user"? (Isn't that a flattering title!? :cool: )

<again off topic>
To add to the Kernil Panic stuff on 10.3... CHECK YOUR RAM. I bought a couple of sticks for my G4 and started getting crashes and 1 kernel panic. It was obiuos it was the RAM.
Make sure the RAM in your machine is not causing the issue if you have additional RAM...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.