Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Nice to see another build released today.

As for mid-October, I'd rather just wait and have Apple fix more bugs.

The state of OSX is pretty disgraceful since Tiger, and Apple really needs to get back to a non-Microsoft quality standard.

I'm hoping 10.4.3 is the version which should of been originally released. Sure, there will be bugs, but not so many and so many critical ones.

Take your time Apple and get Tiger right. Finally.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
BWhaler said:
Nice to see another build released today.

As for mid-October, I'd rather just wait and have Apple fix more bugs.

The state of OSX is pretty disgraceful since Tiger, and Apple really needs to get back to a non-Microsoft quality standard.

I'm hoping 10.4.3 is the version which should of been originally released. Sure, there will be bugs, but not so many and so many critical ones.

Take your time Apple and get Tiger right. Finally.

I'm a little confused by the complaints in this thread. As an OS, I have not had any problems with Tiger. Some of the bundled apps. yes, but Tiger, no. What is the problem with Tiger? It's never crashed or done anything unusual since it was released.. and I was one of those who got it early (accidentally).

YOJ

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
yojitani said:
I'm a little confused by the complaints in this thread. As an OS, I have not had any problems with Tiger. Some of the bundled apps. yes, but Tiger, no. What is the problem with Tiger? It's never crashed or done anything unusual since it was released.. and I was one of those who got it early (accidentally).

YOJ

That's alright yojitani, you not alone. My wife was having issues with Panther on her PowerBook. Now with Tiger she has noticed improvement.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
yojitani said:

YOJ

Sure, your mileage may vary. But I suspect you aren't looking too hard if you can't find the many bugs in Tiger.

There is a reason why 10.4.3 is the largest bug patch released by Apple in their history. Largest by a long shot.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BWhaler said:
There is a reason why 10.4.3 is the largest bug patch released by Apple in their history. Largest by a long shot.

Yes...I'm a little confused, to be honest, with why people keep posting that they believe Tiger is problem free when Apple is seeding big bug fixes... :rolleyes:

Anyway, 10.4.2 is pretty stable for me. Three problems:
- Wake on bluetooth and the fact that the iBook cannot be on and closed at the same time do not play nice (something that was not an issue in Panther)

- My swapfile (I think) creeps up dramatically in size with uptime, to the tune of 3-4 gigs, and my hard drive gets relatively full as a result (when I reboot, I have 7-8 gigs free until the swap files have had time to fill), slowing performance....

- I occasionally have issues with the menu bar not being properly updated, and getting the menus of multiple programs garbled together.

That's about it for me at the moment, which is a *dramatic* improvement since 10.4.0... :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mkrishnan said:
Yes...I'm a little confused, to be honest, with why people keep posting that they believe Tiger is problem free when Apple is seeding big bug fixes... :rolleyes:

The thing is, I recognise that Tiger has bugs but as yet, it has been just as stable for me as Panther ever was, more-so compared to some earlier releases of Panther.

What's strange is that the inconsistencies of Tiger seem to be so inconsistent. Do the same thing on two different systems and you don't necessarily get the same result. It's weird. :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I bought an iMac with Tiger preinstalled plus I had an iBook G4 running 10.3.9 which I erased and installed Tiger onto. I think it's a good idea to start fresh with things like this.

For the record, I don't use any of those maintenance programs like Onyx and the such, whether that means anything. :)

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
BWhaler said:

Actually, I believe Mac OS 10.1 was the biggest bug fixing patch :D
Remember those times guys, a free upgrade for Cheetah.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
yojitani said:

YOJ

Same here. I bought my powerbook (1st Mac BTW, it came with Tiger
installed) in May and have had only 2 crashes since then. The powerbook is
my primary computer and I use it heavily on a daily basis (I do a lot of
programming). To me, Tiger is as stable as my previous GNU/Linux machine.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Compile 'em all said:
Same here. I bought my powerbook (1st Mac BTW, it came with Tiger
installed) in May and have had only 2 crashes since then. The powerbook is
my primary computer and I use it heavily on a daily basis (I do a lot of
programming). To me, Tiger is as stable as my previous GNU/Linux machine.
Similar story.
18 month old PB 1.33, came with Panther. Did an archive / install of Tiger. The only problems I have had are with Norton (over-cautious switcher!), and Motion v1. Otherwise it seems to be ok. I don't reboot often, but I use Onyx to clear out the accumulated rubbish about once a month. My work is mainly MS Office, so no great load there apart from VPC/Visio, but play is fairly heavy photo & video work. Played around the other day to see how far it would go - started 45 different apps (some small but mostly graphics) including VPC and Motion 2. Slowed to a crawl but very stable.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Anything that fixes bugs and makes things better is a good thing IMO.

However I don't share many peoples opinion here that Tiger is so bad and buggy, even from the first release.

I have had the Family Pack installed on the 3 Macs that I have at my home, plus the new Mini we got which came with Tiger preinstalled. And I administrate one Powermac at my Job which came with Tiger.

There is always room to improve though so I hope Apple keeps it up and keeps getting better.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
beg_ne said:
Anything that fixes bugs and makes things better is a good thing IMO.

However I don't share many peoples opinion here that Tiger is so bad and buggy, even from the first release.

I have had the Family Pack installed on the 3 Macs that I have at my home, plus the new Mini we got which came with Tiger pre-installed. And I administrate one Powermac at my Job which came with Tiger.

There is always room to improve though so I hope Apple keeps it up and keeps getting better.

Yes, it's a good thing that Apple fixes as many bugs with this next release a possible.

I just think that those with complaints post more often. So it is really hard to judge how well Tiger is doing overall. Seems to depend on if your a power user or not and what programs that are being used.

Just need to be patient 10.4.3 will be here soon enough.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mad jew said:
What's strange is that the inconsistencies of Tiger seem to be so inconsistent. Do the same thing on two different systems and you don't necessarily get the same result. It's weird. :(

That's because Tiger's kernel makes use of subspace transmission technology based on vertaron particles. :D

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
bugs

I bought an iBook with 10.4.2 preinstalled and I have noticed numerous bugs in the OS. I am actually quite disappointed because I was expecting a lot more stability from a .2 release. It feels more like a beta than a gold master much less the second updated version. :( I hope that 10.4.3 gets fixed properly.

mtennes

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
Michigan
Java 5.0

You gotta feel sorry for us Java developers who NEEDED Tiger (Java 5.0 not MacOS X). Apple diliberately chose not to make it compatible or supported on Panther. So to use Java 5.0 we had to upgrade to Tiger (MacOS X not Java 5.0). For me upgrade to 10.4 was a major step backwards in term of OS functionality, but the necessity of Java 5.0 forced me into it. If Java were available on Panther I would still be using it today. I bet Tiger won't support Mustang (Java 6) only Leopard (or whatever cat they use next) will.

Blue Velvet said:
Which is what some of us were warning about when it was released... I don't feel at all sorry for those who rushed out, installed it right away and had problems. Cold and heartless perhaps, but that's just the way I feel.

My motto: Never install .0 or buy Rev A of anything.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mtennes said:
You gotta feel sorry for us Java developers who NEEDED Tiger (Java 5.0 not MacOS X). Apple diliberately chose not to make it compatible or supported on Panther. So to use Java 5.0 we had to upgrade to Tiger (MacOS X not Java 5.0). For me upgrade to 10.4 was a major step backwards in term of OS functionality, but the necessity of Java 5.0 forced me into it. If Java were available on Panther I would still be using it today. I bet Tiger won't support Mustang (Java 6) only Leopard (or whatever cat they use next) will.

Yes, you're probably correct. Considering that Sun does the port to Windows and Apple does their own port, they want to be able to charge something for all the work they do. The price is heavily discounted in light of the resources used to develop the operating system and JVM. It's obvious that they could have made two versions but at that stage in the game, would it have been worth it for everyone?

I don't know of anything that would have been a backwards step in functionality, other than the fact that 10.3.9 was well-sorted and certainly, 10.4.2 isn't.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
yojitani said:
and I was one of those who got it early (accidentally).

YOJ

A copy fell out of a tree and hit me on the head, too. Been stable ever since, of course on different computers. My iBook now came with Tiger and no problems so far.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
MontyZ said:
I went from 10.3.9 (which was the most stable OS I've ever used from Apple) to 10.4.2. While Tiger is pretty stable, it's not nearly as stable as 10.3.9 was. I used to go 30+ days without rebooting easily before. Now I have to reboot more often because the computer gets bogged down, apps start running very slow or crash, and I get that damn spinning beachball every so often.

But, it's not something that is constant or frequent, thankfully. Just annoyingly Windows-like is some regards (having to reboot to make the computer run better). Hopefully the next update will clear up these annoyances.

See, what I was getting at was not that Tiger is 'bug - free' (is any os bug free? an utopia os?) - but that stability issues etc seem to vary computer to computer. For me 10.3.9 was the worst I had experienced, and still is on my computer at work. It's constantly choking up etc. In fact, the problems MontyZ is describing for Tiger fit my problems with 10.3.9 to a tea... Tiger was a major improvement in my case...

there are annoying bugs in Tiger, like keychain keeps forgetting that it knows my passwords (it doesn't actually lose/forget them), but none as bad as what I had before (10.3.9)...

YOJ

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
TheSpaz said:
Umm... You do know that Symantec doesn't support Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger right?

They are no longer updating their Apps for Tiger Compatibility. So that may be why you have problems.

See this link: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2005032314263511

I'm very sad that Norton SystemWorks will not work with Tiger. I'm currently on 10.3.9, so it still works. Though I don't use ti very often, has been a good friend. Soon I will be on Tiger. You scared me at first, I just purchased Norton Antivirus 10.0. Just took a second look at the box.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
wdlove said:
I'm very sad that Norton SystemWorks will not work with Tiger. I'm currently on 10.3.9, so it still works. Though I don't use ti very often, has been a good friend. Soon I will be on Tiger. You scared me at first, I just purchased Norton Antivirus 10.0. Just took a second look at the box.
I wouldn't recommend buying any Symantec products, period.

Even on the Windows problem, they cause more problems than they solve. There are better maintenance utilities and better anti-virus tools.

learthur

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Arkansas
?!Longhorn, where...?

BWhaler said:
Longhorn is shaping up to be one hell of an operating system. (And yes, we can complain it is simply a rip-off of OSX, but companies and consumers could care less.)

What Longhorn? The only thing Microsoft has actually produced is the old Windows XP with a new theme including some fancy new icons. They gave up on the new Windows File System which means they never will catch up to OS X until they get that implemented alone. The only thing "great" planned for Longhorn is the Canon based color management technology, but that hasn't even happened yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.