Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
Chundles said:
I get the feeling these point updates are going to get pretty hefty as we go along. I mean, look at what has to be turned on before Leopard:

- Rosetta (cause the Intel machines will be out before 10.5 so they'll have to build it into 10.4 in some way, probably in a special build)
- Resolution Independence (to cope with higher res smaller screens)
- Quartz 2D Extreme (why not, it's there...)
- Unified UI (to make it look cooler - it really needs to be the same throughout)

You make some good points. I thought full SVG wasn't due until 10.5 though, even given the new HD screens. I think we'll only get some kind of stopgap in the meantime. The unified UI really is necessary as well.

I clean installed Tiger 10.4.2 on my Pismo; I went straight to 10.4.2 from 10.3.9 and didn't notice any problems, only annoyances like the damn Safari warning: "It looks like your downloading an application, do you want to open it?" I HATE THAT. It's like the damn paper clip interjecting in MS Word: "Hi, it looks like you're trying to write a suicide note--can I help?"

I'm getting a new 15" PB and am wondering if I can do a clean install on that machine as well, because the new PBs seem to have a special build of 10.4.2. Would it be safe to clean install 10.4.2, or should I wait until 10.4.3?

PS: Latest build is currently 8F40, correct? Strange that we haven't heard much news about the builds since 8F28 and 8F31.

hogliux

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2005
Mac OS X not released also due to problems with USB 2.0

Hi all,
i'm a programmer for a usb 2.0 audio device, and right now i'm programming for a big audio company. In Mac OS 10.4.2 there were a couple of issues in usb 2.0 isochronos ( the transaction type that realtime multimedia devices use )transactions. One big problem occurred only with write transactions, so transactions from the host to the device. Normally with isochronos transactions the system gives you realtime information to when a usb frame has completed and how much data was actually transfered. In Mac OS 10.4.2 and earlier this mechanism didn't work, meaning that you only got the information when a whole transaction completed, likely consisting of many 100 usb frames. The only workaround was to queue many transactions with little frame numbers, increasing system load dramatically. This is one of the main reasons why there are hardly any usb 2.0 audio devices out fot the mac. I filed a bug about this and i am in constant connection with people at Apple. And let me tell you this: to this day, they are having BIG problems correcting this. Well they did correct the just explained problem, but doing this, all of a suddon everthing else in usb started to fail. Right now, i don't know what they are doing but they seem to have major problems with usb 2.0

hogliux

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
hogliux said:
Hi all,
i'm a programmer for a usb 2.0 audio device, and right now i'm programming for a big audio company. In Mac OS 10.4.2 there were a couple of issues in usb 2.0 isochronos ( the transaction type that realtime multimedia devices use )transactions. One big problem occurred only with write transactions, so transactions from the host to the device. Normally with isochronos transactions the system gives you realtime information to when a usb frame has completed and how much data was actually transfered. In Mac OS 10.4.2 and earlier this mechanism didn't work, meaning that you only got the information when a whole transaction completed, likely consisting of many 100 usb frames. The only workaround was to queue many transactions with little frame numbers, increasing system load dramatically. This is one of the main reasons why there are hardly any usb 2.0 audio devices out fot the mac. I filed a bug about this and i am in constant connection with people at Apple. And let me tell you this: to this day, they are having BIG problems correcting this. Well they did correct the just explained problem, but doing this, all of a suddon everthing else in usb started to fail. Right now, i don't know what they are doing but they seem to have major problems with usb 2.0

hogliux
Yes, there has been a lot of problems with Mac OS X Tiger so far, Apple is working hard to get the "kinks" out of the software. The probelms don't happen to everyone, though. I've had a wonderful experience with Mac OS X Tiger, I hope your problem gets fixed!

:)

alexeismertin said:
Anyone have any idea when the 10.4.3 will finally be released?
I hope soon, like in the next 2 weeks. They are busy, though. Look at all the updates they've been doing and on top of that they got Intel.

Patience.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
alexeismertin said:
This is gotta be the final one!

I hope you are right since I am tired of Tiger sucking and I need to upgrade about 10 work computers this week. I'd hate to send them out the door with Tiger in the state it is in now.

I hope after dropping 200 bucks on Tiger (for the family pack) Apple is finally honorable and has made Tiger the Operating System we would expect from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.