Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Am I the only person NOT having Airport issues each release?

JDOG_ said:
I hope this release fixes some wacky airport issues I've been having. My connection will drop sometimes and I won't be able to find any signals for about 2 minutes, despite me having access to approximately 10 at any given time. Very odd.

A. Try reseating all your Airport cards in case they are loose.. and check the antenna connection to the card as well for same.
B. Quit confusing your Mac and tell it with the preferred network list just one reliable network to prefer instead of giving it so many choices.. If it doesn't have a preferred network, it will be constantly switching networks to which ever one seems to give it a better signal at the moment and that's not good because during the switchover, network connection will drop.. airport or linksys, doesn't matter.. you need to tell it to stay focused! Otherwise with 10 different unpreferred networks, you've given it a good case of artificial ADHD and have not much room to complain about its behavior therefore!

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
seashellz said:
according to a link on x86oriject.org,
Some fixes in 10.4.4

Thanks for the details. Safari still sucks. It often loads one item less than the whole page, I often see this (or something very similar) in the Safari status bar:

Loading "http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/", completed 58 of 59 items

Am I the only one having these problems with Safari in 10.4.3? I just did an erase and install and complete reload of 10.4 and Safari still sucks!

SAFARI SUCKS APPLE PLEASE FIX IT! :mad:

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
matticus008 said:
All I want is a path bar

Isn't [Apple]+[SHIFT]+G good enough?

I agree that it's not as good as having the path listed in every Finder window, but once you get used to it it's not so bad.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
geeman said:
Isn't [Apple]+[SHIFT]+G good enough?

I agree that it's not as good as having the path listed in every Finder window, but once you get used to it it's not so bad.
It'll do sometimes. But generally, it's a half-baked attempt at a pretty basic function. I like to work with files and objects visually, but there is no visual representation of hierarchy in Finder, so I want an input front-and-center so I can work with hierarchy. (How do you drag a folder up just one level, for example?) I can do everything I want with paths in the Terminal, but I'd prefer not to have to switch applications.

Spotlight's good for finding files, but what if I want to hop to a location without knowing what file I want. In Windows, I can get six levels deep in a few keystrokes (thanks to auto-completing paths). This would be a good start.

Something like Path Finder (http://www.cocoatech.com) would be great to implement as an optional "pro mode" for the Finder. Combined with fixing that thing where Finder just hangs for 20 seconds, I'd be happy. The network lags and random browsing slowdowns (for folders with lots of files) should be a priority to minimize.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Gasu E. said:
Geez, don't you peeple know anything???? Computer folks use hexadecimal! So it can get up to X.4.F before we have to flip to X.5!

What excites me the most is that it is only 187 more releases until OS XI.0.0. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

:D ;) :) :rolleyes: :p, and :) again.

Don't you mean only 0xBB more releases?

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
AppleMatt said:
Dunno. But in Mail if you make a load of spelling mistakes and correct one in the middle, all of those to the left of it will lose their red squiggles.

Unless this was fixed in 10.4.3. I've stopped bothering to check and instead learnt how to spell :)

AppleMatt

It's Apples way of making you smarter.. And it worked...

:)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
cgratti said:
Mine works fine.... hmmmmm
Turns out my default home page ( and new Safari window setting) is set to go to Yahoo.com and Yahoo has some sort of HTML code that shifts focus away from the Google search bar and into it's own search bar.

Never happened before, until recently, so I may have attributed it to the update in Tiger 10.4.3. If Yahoo does this on purpose, it's pretty low of them. I've already changed my default home page to another website other than Yahoo.com.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I really have a strange feeling about .4

It does seem like with each new hardware revision Apple would correspondingly seed a new update of MacOS to go with it; for instance .3 brought about dual core PMs with PCIe as well as PBs based on the newer chipsets.

Could .4's release herald something wonderful too?

Like.. intel MacMinis? :D

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
electronboy said:
Thanks for the details. Safari still sucks. It often loads one item less than the whole page, I often see this (or something very similar) in the Safari status bar:

Loading "http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/", completed 58 of 59 items

Am I the only one having these problems with Safari in 10.4.3? I just did an erase and install and complete reload of 10.4 and Safari still sucks!

SAFARI SUCKS APPLE PLEASE FIX IT! :mad:

A huuuuuge fix to the webkit has been in development for most of the year. Fixes over 4,000 memory leaks, for example.

I hope this new kit shows up in 10.4.4, but I suspect it may be in a stand-alone update or 10.4.5.

This will fix most of the problems folks are having...

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
seashellz said:
according to a link on x86oriject.org,
Some fixes in 10.4.4:
------------
Fixed issue where USB/FW Audio may be lost after unplug/replug

Excellent. I've been experiencing this with my M-Audio Audiophile USB and I thought I was going insane.

tycho2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2005
My gripes, your thoughts?

One of my frustrations with OSX (recently upgraded from OS9, because I figured by now they would have worked out all the bugs - hah!) is that Mail, Address Book and Safari are inferior in many ways to Entourage and Firefox, but they are so nicely integrated to Aqua, there is so much potential, but they just don't make it.

I had this fantasy - what if there were a single program that handled all text documents - emails and .doc files at least, in an i-tunes or entourage style platform. Why should I have to switch to Word or other text edit program when my email program is in fact a text editor? This is a fantasy.

My real question for the forum is: how do I effectively communicate my OS wish-list to Apple? For the record, here it is:

A. Problems with OSX (10.4):

1. Dock is unfriendly. I don’t want it permanent, nor to appear when the mouse comes close; I want it to behave like the old taskbar of System 7-9, that would appear only when I type a hot-key. FIX: Create an option to make dock appear/disappear with hot-key

2. When I download documents to the desktop, they all pile up on top of each other in the upper right-hand corner. This is strange and buggy.

3. My old but sturdy HP laserjet printer uses Appletalk. My brand new Powerbook G4 will not let me be on the internet (DSL/ethernet port) and print at the same time! This is an almost unbelievable downgrade in performance from my old imac running 9.2 - according to Apple support this is a software issue, inherent in OSX. Right now, in order to print, I need to open system prefs, change my networking prefs to the printer, which immediately disconnects my dsl connection.

B. Problems with spotlight:

1. Does not find everything! Even after things are indexed. I have tested this. As long ago as Windows-95, you could search the entire hard-drive for any data string; why not in OSX? This is a strange shortcoming. FIX: CREATE A FIND-STRING FUNCTION THAT DOES NOT RELY ON INDEXING

2. Usually what I want is one of the first results to appear – but it is so busy finding secondary results that when I click on the one I want it doesn’t open because before I can finish clicking, it has been pushed down the list and out of sight, and very often I find that I’ve accidentally opened a document that I do not want. FIX: Create a ctrl- or other optional search that limits results window to the top 3 or 5.

3. Starts searching too fast – FIX: let me finish typing and hit enter before the search begins. Why? because this feature actually slows it down. For instance, if I want to find "apple", and start typing, it starts looking for every document with the letter "a" in it, until I type the "p" etc. - this slows it down. Isn't this obvious?

C. Problems with Address Book
1. Should allow me to sort by date of entry
2. Should allow me to flag for follow-up
3. Should show me option to list correspondence with that person and date of last msg sent and rcvd
4. Does not allow me to import Entourage contacts with all data (therefore, I continue to use Entourage because I need that data, including “links”
5. Should allow me to do a search limited to specific fields, for instance city or zip – let’s say I want to phone all the people who live in New York but have some people who have “New York” in the name of their business or in the notes; therefore, the spotlight search is inadequate (too broad)

Thank you for letting me gripe. :mad: Thank you doubly for your feedback. :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Control-click on the desktop and tell me if you have "Snap to Grid" or "Keep arranged by" selected.

I don't have this problem of downloads piling up so maybe this will fix yours.

tycho2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2005
Chundles said:
Control-click on the desktop and tell me if you have "Snap to Grid" or "Keep arranged by" selected.

I don't have this problem of downloads piling up so maybe this will fix yours.

No, that doesn't seem to help. Maybe it's a Firefox bug. To clarify - it's not only a downloads problem, it also occurs when I save the current web page as html.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.