Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sworthy

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
I like it, but it does look quite a bit like panther. What does everyone think... photoshop?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Wrong font and style for the X on for the big X.
Side panel printing looks wrong.
QuickTime is already updated, but Apple will likely highlight it.

I expect the box to look more similar to the images that Apple has already released. .
ref_tiger_cd.jpg

compare to
panther_125.jpg

Note:
Above images are linked directly from Apple's website.

There are just a few Panther images on Apple's website. Tiger seems to be it. Apple also posted this. They usually don't show the same product with two different faces. The image below was taken from http://www.apple.com/macosx/

attachment.php

Attachments

• OSX-2.bmp
    17.3 KB · Views: 8,918

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Acutally, if you watched the MWSF keynote, the roman numeral for Tiger is now in a sans-serif font, like the box.

You can also these the new "X" font on Apple's site.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Eniregnat said:
Wrong font and style for the X on for the big X.
Side panel printing looks wrong.
QuickTime is already updated, but Apple will likely highlight it.

I expect the box to look more similar to the images that Apple has already released. .
ref_tiger_cd.jpg

compare to
panther_125.jpg

Note:
Images are linked directly from Apple's website.

This said, I am rarely right about a product release.

catalystx

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2003
It actually looks like something Apple would use, or at least a late stage mockup image. I'd go with this being real if I had to choose.

restiffbard

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Virginia
it's fine by me

One thing about OS X that I think has been true for a while is that Apple is still finding their way as far as the look of the OS and following on that the look of the marketing.

With Jaguar the faux fur bit was cute but only that. Panther's packaging however had a more lasting look to it. Something that could and apparently will be repeated. It also lets everyone know that brushed metal is here to stay. The one thing I like most about the design though is that the packaging highlights the largest and most important improvement to OS X, spotlight.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
HAHA. Steve didn't even mention the packaging, and it flew over our heads! :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Both are similar in design color, but the X on fills up the length of the box and CD. Surprised that they are being a little more creative. Would have liked to see the use of the actual Tiger coat, like Jaguar.

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
I think it looks too industrial, not good for the everyday consumers unlike the iLife and iWork boxes, but at the end of the day the decision to buy an OS won't be changed if they don't like the box design.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
FYI, jobs showed the box and CD during the keynote on Jan 11. I remember it well.

Attachments

• stevenote.jpg
    stevenote.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 298

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
jimsowden said:
FYI, jobs showed the box and CD during the keynote on Jan 11. I remember it well.

I will admit that I don't remember Steve showing the box. So did it look like the one above which is from the MacNN article?

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
EssentialParado said:
I'm surprised no-one's said anything about the fact that it's an X lit by a spotlight ;)

-Luke

Good catch there Luke. Spotlight being one of the most talked up features of the OS. I also liked how someone on here pointed out how the boxes would look stacked. Should be interesting for display. It does look like X-men, but it'll do. It's definitely not iPod packaging!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.