Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
So I have this used Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) which is behaving really weird. When I turn it on there is no video or chime, the fans turn slow/normal and it just stays like that forever. The USB ports are powered on after about 20 seconds, which is really weird. I tried the minimum configuration and used the Diag LEDs to troubleshoot the Mac. They're all acting like they should. I even tested with a working Mac Pro 2010 and switched every Part in it. PSU, Processorboard including CPU & RAM, GPU and Hard drives work completely fine in the other Mac so the issue can only be related to the Logic Board / Backplane even though the DiagLEDs tell a different story. Can the Backplane be saved? I am not really into Macs but I'd like to make this work again as it's meant to be a gift for my dad!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So I have this used Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) which is behaving really weird. When I turn it on there is no video or chime, the fans turn slow/normal and it just stays like that forever. The USB ports are powered on after about 20 seconds, which is really weird. I tried the minimum configuration and used the Diag LEDs to troubleshoot the Mac. They're all acting like they should. I even tested with a working Mac Pro 2010 and switched every Part in it. PSU, Processorboard including CPU & RAM, GPU and Hard drives work completely fine in the other Mac so the issue can only be related to the Logic Board / Backplane even though the DiagLEDs tell a different story. Can the Backplane be saved? I am not really into Macs but I'd like to make this work again as it's meant to be a gift for my dad!
What happen if you press and hold power button to boot, can you boot to firmware flashing mode to load the firmware restoration disc (assume the super drive still there)?

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Are you able to extract the firmware off the spi flash chip with an external programmer?
I only found 300$+ devices on my quick google search... That's more than a used Logic Board would cost.
What happen if you press and hold power button to boot, can you boot to firmware flashing mode to load the firmware restoration disc (assume the super drive still there)?
LED turns on (solid, no flashing), fans spins normal, USB power turns on after about 20 seconds. No difference to a single push. I can hold it for over 2 minutes and the Mac is still not doing anything. I have to release the button and hold it again to turn off the machine.

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
hmmm

but you will need to desolder the chip. For some reason we cannot read the Flash soldered to the backplane.

But thats not too sad as it is better to solder a fresh chip in.

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
hmmm

but you will need to desolder the chip. For some reason we cannot read the Flash soldered to the backplane.

But thats not too sad as it is better to solder a fresh chip in.
I've seen these aswell but they don't mention spi support anywhere, which had me looking at much more expensive devices. Soldering is not an issue but I've never worked with flash chips. Is there some kind of knowledge base for Macs?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
We have a human knowledge base called tsialex ;-)

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
We have a human knowledge base called tsialex ;-)

I cannot find anything related to SPI flash and external programmers. Only different versions of the BootROM are listed there. How do I even know my issue is related to the BootROM?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I cannot find anything related to SPI flash and external programmers. Only different versions of the BootROM are listed there. How do I even know my issue is related to the BootROM?

Reactions: fliegenklatsche

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Almost Identical Issue. Okay, I will buy a programmer and a desoldering pump, anything else to recommend?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
pump ?

Rom Position Mac Pro 5.1.png

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Watch the links and learn ;-)
As I mentioned, soldering / desoldering is not an issue. The software side of things on the other hand is a real problem for me as I never did something like that before. I am looking for some information on SPI flashing the BootROM on a Mac Pro!

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
So why dont you read the threads. I did a few time, there is all information you need.

Buy a new chip, Desolder the old chip with your pump (...) read it with flashrom and the programmer, store the file securily, write the generic mp51.fd file extracted from the latest mojave installer to the new chip and solder it in.

If the board boots the firmware then you are done for the 1st step.

You will need to get the firmware reconstructed to give the Board its serial and hardware IDs. Then you can ask for help from tsialex or from me.

Last edited:

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
So why dont you read the threads. I did a few time, there is all information you need.

Buy a new chip, Desolder the old chip with your pump (...) read it with flashrom and the programmer, store the file securily, write the generic mp51.fd file extracted from the latest mojave installer to the new chip and solder it in.

If the board boots the firmware then you are done for the 1st step.

You will need to get the firmware reconstructed to give the Board its serial and hardware IDs. Then you can ask for help from tsialex or from me.
Just ordered a new Logic Board

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
If I wanted to make sure it's an actual 5,1 logic board and not a flashed 4,1 one, how would I do that (without soldering)?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

Reactions: fliegenklatsche

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
You're a legend, thank you very much!

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
The cMP is in really good shape, except for the Logic Board.

IMG_0583.JPEG
IMG_0585.JPEG
IMG_0587.JPEG

I found these spots on the back. Is this normal for a used board?

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Would this be the correct way to attempt flashing?
  • Desolder the EEPROM chip
  • Download the MacProEFIUpdate.dmg firmware
  • Extract the MacProEFIUpdate.pkg file from the .dmg
  • Extract the MP_xxx_LOCKED.fd file from the .pkg, the .fd is inside the "/Payload/Payload~/./System/Library/Core/Services/Firmware Updates/MacProEFIUpdate_xxx/" folder
  • Program the extracted MP_xxx_LOCKED.fd to the EEPROM chip
  • Solder the EEPROM chip back to the motherboard
After that write the Mac Pro serial number back to the EEPROM chip using a third party software in Mac OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.