Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fliegenklatsche

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
You can learn a lot there, but all info it's valid only for working dumps.
Mac is working fine with generic 144 firmware.

In your reconstruction guide you claim one does need the intermediate files but you don't say how one would get these files. Is there a valid reason to keep it a secret?

ecc83

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
@tsialex - I would appreciate your analysis of my ROM as well. Please let me know if that would be possible. Thanks.

TrumanLA

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2017
USA
As soon as I saw the image in google images of HEX code and "Mac Pro 5,1" ... I literally KNEW tsialex was going to be the primary assistant on this. Seriously, prolific and EXCELLENT info.

Personally, I have a blackcat I think ... (a few programmers) ... and as a reminder, the CH341x are not only cheap, but, I finally learned that you can use the program ...

FlashROM

brew install flashrom

and then, any good hex editor. GEEZ!!! I've been using a damned PC!! FOR 8 GODDAMNED YEARS in a capacity I didn't have to! lol. I mean, I still need it for Data Recovery jobs, but seriously? I'd rather use DOS than Windows.

Also, there's a terminal app for the TL866a, TL866II+ ... etc., called MiniPro

again,

brew install minipro

and you can R-W direct to the SPI without having to use a PC ...
Other than that, I'm sure a VM will let you run all the other middleware apps like AsProgrammer, etc.

I'd been trying to use drivers for the CH341 for YEARS and FINALLY realized theres a CLI app.

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
hmmm

but you will need to desolder the chip. For some reason we cannot read the Flash soldered to the backplane.

But thats not too sad as it is better to solder a fresh chip in.
I use this one as well and it’s great, did my GC-Titan-Ridge 2.0 thunderbolt upgrade with that ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.