Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Came across this thread by chance - my 8 core w D700 has been showing flickering in right side of the screen when using one of the mini DP -> DP cables I have. Upon inspection it turned out that Cable Matters one supports only 2k at 60Hz (something I missed back in 2017) but Amazon basics cable should do 4k at 60Hz. Thing is, the flickering happens with the latter cable and only in Mavericks... Mojave runs just fine!

I also have the Newer headless HDMI but it didn't do anything in Mavericks, flickering remained. My current EFI version is 134... I'm gonna get one proper 4k @ 60Hz mini DP -> DP cables but I'm lost why the flickering occurs on older OS and not on recent one.

Attachments

• IMG_9769.jpeg
    IMG_9769.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 201

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
London
Came across this thread by chance - my 8 core w D700 has been showing flickering in right side of the screen when using one of the mini DP -> DP cables I have. Upon inspection it turned out that Cable Matters one supports only 2k at 60Hz (something I missed back in 2017) but Amazon basics cable should do 4k at 60Hz. Thing is, the flickering happens with the latter cable and only in Mavericks... Mojave runs just fine!

I also have the Newer headless HDMI but it didn't do anything in Mavericks, flickering remained. My current EFI version is 134... I'm gonna get one proper 4k @ 60Hz mini DP -> DP cables but I'm lost why the flickering occurs on older OS and not on recent one.
This isn’t the same as the flicker I had. This looks like your graphics card is buggered.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020

hi, it is not the flickering we are discussing
it happens in Mojave or above, at 4K @ 60hz
the right edge has some brief white flickering
I try to attached a photo for your reference
[automerge]1580841748[/automerge]
here is the flickering
[automerge]1580841965[/automerge]
This isn’t the same as the flicker I had. This looks like your graphics card is buggered.

I think the graphics card is not defected. We will get the same if we run Maverick OS X.
I have your "ghost" flickering when I boot into Maverick recovery mode by shift-option-command-R.
it is not a cable problem

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
London
hi, it is not the flickering we are discussing
it happens in Mojave or above, at 4K @ 60hz
the right edge has some brief white flickering
I try to attached a photo for your reference
[automerge]1580841748[/automerge]
here is the flickering
[automerge]1580841965[/automerge]

I think the graphics card is not defected. We will get the same if we run Maverick OS X.
I have your "ghost" flickering when I boot into Maverick recovery mode by shift-option-command-R.
That's what I had. In a brand new Clean install with nothing installed, nothing attached this flicker appeared out of the door. It sometimes appeared on the login screen too.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
That's what I had. In a brand new Clean install with nothing installed, nothing attached this flicker appeared out of the door. It sometimes appeared on the login screen too.

The strange thing is that I don't have it in Mojave 10.14.0. It started from Mojave 10.14.1 and so on. But the hdmi cable solved the issue in my case.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010

well it doesn't show on HDMI connection (which runs only 30Hz) so I'm puzzled... here's video I took

as for HW / GPU failure I think not, it's just Mavericks that causes this... High Sierra and Mojave run fine on the same cable and resolution (even though I use eGPU 99% of the time to ease the load on D700's)

since it's something 'new' to the initial problem I'll get a new cable and see if it helps

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Solution sucesss:

No flicker at 4K 60hz after adding a HDMI headless dummy

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 215
Reactions: CC88 and R2FX

chriskuta

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
Sydney Australia
hey @chkwong thanks for reporting back and glad it works. Weirdest problem ever. Thanks for your original insight too. I literally just saw mine flickering right now and turned on my second monitor and its now gone. I'm going to grab one of these headless dummies too..

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
hey @chkwong thanks for reporting back and glad it works. Weirdest problem ever. Thanks for your original insight too. I literally just saw mine flickering right now and turned on my second monitor and its now gone. I'm going to grab one of these headless dummies too..

Weird problem
Hope next macos could solve the problem
Look forward to your solution solved by HDMI dummy

themeade

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
just adding here as having the same problem, mac pro 2013 12 core, dual d700's, 43inch LG 43UD79, same as the OP. Same problem, just bought this monitor as thought my old one was buggered, same problem though. only happens now and then, using miniDp to DP, full 4K res at 60Hz.

hopefully a solution will be found as its very frustrating.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Also have this problem intermittently. Passes the HW test. I have three more weeks of Apple Care but really can't spare the Mac during that time.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
just adding here as having the same problem, mac pro 2013 12 core, dual d700's, 43inch LG 43UD79, same as the OP. Same problem, just bought this monitor as thought my old one was buggered, same problem though. only happens now and then, using miniDp to DP, full 4K res at 60Hz.

hopefully a solution will be found as its very frustrating.

I added a HDMI dongle to solve the problem
Now can use 4K at 60hz

Mead

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I am so glad i have found this thread.
Have seen white lines flickering on the screen and the occasional full screen flash.
DropBox Video

Been onto Apple three times now and done the traditional steps:
  1. PRAM resets
  2. SMC resets
  3. Safe mode boot (no problem while in this mode)
  4. Internet Restore (to 10.15.4)
  5. Apple HW test comes back clean
I too installed 10.13.6 and did not see the problem at all. 10.14 - 10.15 it happens all the time.

I have:
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
  • AMD FirePro D700 6 GB
  • 2x Dell P2715Q (attached on TB Bus 0 and 1 - mDP-DP)
Adding a second display did stop this flicker from appearing

Reactions: chkwong

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I am so glad i have found this thread.
Have seen white lines flickering on the screen and the occasional full screen flash.
DropBox Video

Been onto Apple three times now and done the traditional steps:
  1. PRAM resets
  2. SMC resets
  3. Safe mode boot (no problem while in this mode)
  4. Internet Restore (to 10.15.4)
  5. Apple HW test comes back clean
I too installed 10.13.6 and did not see the problem at all. 10.14 - 10.15 it happens all the time.

I have:
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
  • AMD FirePro D700 6 GB
  • 2x Dell P2715Q (attached on TB Bus 0 and 1 - mDP-DP)
Adding a second display did stop this flicker from appearing

thanks for your info
any official solution from Apple?

Mead

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
@chkwong i did get through to Apple Senior Support and we spoke at length about why this disappears when you get the GPU to work harder (aka connect a second display etc).

His response was as this is not a thunderbolt connection (it's a mDP) there could be limitations.
I don't have a true thunderbolt display here to test this theory.

My current working solution was taken from this thread and have the display connected via DP and HDMI.
If i need to run two monitors, this problem hides itself.

I am wondering if its Metal related?

Naturally 'scaling' in macOS doesn't seem to change the physical pixels driving the screen, wonder if there is a way to change the EDID of the monitor in macOS so you can drive it under 4K, might be a fix, might make the text look crap!?

Will plod on!

Reactions: chkwong

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
@chkwong i did get through to Apple Senior Support and we spoke at length about why this disappears when you get the GPU to work harder (aka connect a second display etc).

His response was as this is not a thunderbolt connection (it's a mDP) there could be limitations.

My current working solution was taken from this thread and have the display connected via DP and HDMI.

Naturally 'scaling' in macOS doesn't seem to change the physical pixels driving the screen, wonder if there is a way to change the EDID of the monitor in macOS so you can drive it under 4K, might be a fix, might make the text look crap!?

Will plod on!

It is related to metal

I remembered if I run geekbench5 compute metal api using GPUcard B .

the flicker was also gone during the test.

I think the flicker problem should be a driver problem?
[automerge]1586543632[/automerge]

Will plod on!

I am using lg 5k ultrafine with thunderbolt 2 to 3 adaptor.
The flicker problem exists in this connection.
[automerge]1586543718[/automerge]

Will plod on!

lower the refresh rate to 4k 30hz could also hide the problem

Mead

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
@chkwong thanks for your updates, i think you are correct and its related to the Driver. Has anyone reached out to AMD?
30Hz is not workable for me, makes me feel ill!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
No sure if it’s related, but someone in the macbook forum discovered that make the mouse icon bigger in accessibility stop their MacBook screen flickering. Not sure if this trick also work on nMP, but worth to try.

Mead

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I did reach out to AMD and got this back:

Response and Service Request History:
Thank you for your email.
Please be informed that drivers are made available from Apple for mac systems equipped with the AMD GPU and you must contact Apple customer support for the driver installation assistance.
However, these are the only latest available bootcamp drivers from AMD and we do not have any future driver updates information.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp
Please visit the following link for Apple customer support: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
Thanks for contacting AMD.

So sadly can't help here

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I did reach out to AMD and got this back:

Response and Service Request History:
Thank you for your email.
Please be informed that drivers are made available from Apple for mac systems equipped with the AMD GPU and you must contact Apple customer support for the driver installation assistance.
However, these are the only latest available bootcamp drivers from AMD and we do not have any future driver updates information.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp
Please visit the following link for Apple customer support: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
Thanks for contacting AMD.

So sadly can't help here

there is no flicker problem in windows 10 by bootcamp
however, the latest AMD driver 19.3 for bootcamp will crash in windows 10
[automerge]1586957697[/automerge]
No sure if it’s related, but someone in the macbook forum discovered that make the mouse icon bigger in accessibility stop their MacBook screen flickering. Not sure if this trick also work on nMP, but worth to try.

I have just tried. This trick doesn't work.

Last edited:

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
i use 19.4.2 adrenalin drivers for my AMD cards in WIN10 with no problems (cMP 5,1)
not the bootcamp driver!

angelsevov

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006
So I’ve posted about this before but I’m running out of patience. I’ve had my Mac Pro 6,1 trash can since release. Ironically in the first few weeks of owning it I had a fault., naturally 7£k is a big chunk of money, so with it being so new it was replaced outright by Apple. This in recent months I’ve been told voids any consumer law claims against a unit because it doesn’t have a valid purchase date: or so I was told by Apple when they tried to put through a subsequent claim through the stores system. Even though on the paperwork I have it states “date of purchase” again something which seems odd, a system replaced by the manufacturer. I was also never informed of this when they replaced it outright.

Which leads me into my issue. In 2016 I decided to upgrade my display from the old school Apple Cinema Display. Worked like a dream but I needed more resolution. I’d been working in an agency using an Asus 4k without issue on a similar setup so decided that would be perfect. Within a few days of use I had noticed a flicker in the top corner of the display. Spoke to ASUS and they swapped it for another unit. Same issue with that so I booked it in with Apple. Was told it was down to a graphics card issue and they would replace the D700’s. Got it back after the CPU riser and GPU had also replace and same flicker was present. Changed the display, ordered a Dell, approved for use with the MP Thought maybe it was a manufacturer problem as at the time Apple only worked with certain thunderbolt displays. Same issue. At this point I’d tried several cables and configurations dual cable, single cable etc. Subsequently fast forward to now, on my second Dell (different model). Flicker remains. I had some down time where I had some family problems to deal with. Early 2019 I start looking back into it. At this point constant flicker has started giving me headaches.and honestly I have to use the system for work so just get in with it. Go through various tech calls which result in taking the Mac to the Apple store. Visit the Apple store 4 times, all of which have never been able to verify the issue because they have always used an adaptor to thunderbolt or hdmi. My issue only occurs directly from thunderbolt to system. The third time, I’m told I have to pay for the repair as it’s out of warranty even though at that stage they don’t know what /If the repair will work because they haven’t seen the issue they are trying to fix. So were willing to charge me and replace something which was not even known if it wold fix the issue. It was just bonkers. Also a legacy issue reported many times. I was told then that it would be doable under consumer law, which led to their internal system saying my system was invalid because it didn’t have a purchase date (back to my comment earlier about that)

at this stage my only option to verify the problem was to lug my 32inch display to store, almost instantly the issue was witnessed by the store manager and tech. At this point I’m told by the genius the stores now have to pay for replacements apposed to when it used to come out do the big Apple pot so they don’t just replace anymore. It must now be budgeted at each store. Not my concern as the customer. And to think they won’t replace it because it’ll bump the stores spending, well, go figure. The store keep my display to do whatever they need and call the next day, telling me they had fixed it. It was an issue because the display was running in scaled resolution. So nothing repaired. Now I’m pretty technical. And had tried it in scaled, default and any variation to see if it fixed it. And of course the tech guys on support would have checked that too. But they were adamant it was that. I also at the stage asked them to check any of the macs in the store, none of theirs flickered, in scaled pr not but they also didn’t have any identical configurations in. So I went to collect it, I should have checked In store, alas I didn’t and collected and took it home. To my amazement, I had been totally lied to. Fobbed off. Plugged it in and there (the flicker) was. At this point my levels of anger/disappointment were pretty high. I’m over it. I’ve literally bent over backwards. Done several clean installs. gone back and forth with logs. Back in the technical support department over the phone who have referred it higher and higher and higher with no answers. I joked with my super tech guy who is amazing, who has taken the project under him, but I guess he still has to deal with the internal politics, and hands are tied to some extent. I joked with him in April yes APRIL it’d be great to sort it before Christmas- and here we are.

When does someone from Apple customer service step in and say enough is enough. It has a fault. Fix it, replace it. I’d just like a system which works without fault. It’s now been verified, seen by apple. Is that too much to ask? It was reported under warranty. I have been fobbed off for months/years. And I’m stuck. No one seems to give a crap it has just been referred to higher up folk in management but they also don’t seem to care. Organise calls and then nothing. At the time it was the companies most expensive system. And I really feel utterly disappointed and taken advantage of. gone are my rights. They have taken my money and don’t want to know.

What’s interesting is was told it wasn’t hardware but a software issue. But over the course of my fault since 2016 I’ve upgraded to every version of OSX yet issue has remained. I’ve called hire facilities, spoken with agencies and not one other with the same spec has the same issue, suggesting it not a software issue but hardware.

As a huge Apple fanboy, and having a whole mac ecosystem, this does make me question my brand loyalty.

You know that it is caused mostly by Chrome, right? i have two Mac Pro's 6,1 (at home and at work) and they have exactly the same problem. if you quit Chrome -this flickering- diasappears instantly. Same on my both computers.

At office i have D300 on Mojave 10.14.6, at home i have D700 on Catalina 10.15.5 Beta (19F72f) (both connected to Dell U2718Q 4K screen). On Mojave is really mild and it apears most as some horizontal lines on right side of the screen. On Catalina, it is going crazy, totally unacceptable. Disabling/enabling hardware acceleration in Chrome, it doesnt help!!! Firefox and Safari, they are safe and they dont cause this flickering.

Last edited:

peryhypen

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
I was having mild to very bad flickering issues with the d700‘s. Probably since the Catalina update but I’m not sure. Resolve would make it orders of magnitude worse. This is with a 32” 4K Benq display running I believe, scaled at 2560 x 1440. After booting the machine I now plug in an HDMI cable and have had zero problems since.

This solution was found in this thread and many thanks to the poster who offered it! Particularly so, as I initially thought the cards may have succumbed to thermal issues. It does appear to be a driver issue as I also use this same display on a separate Windows 10 pc with no issues whatsoever regardless of scaling.

antoniopatino

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2020

I've been having this flicker problem since bought my Mac Pro 6.1 with D500 cards. I thought that my Mac was having a hardware issue with this problem and stop using it and bought another Mac because of that. This post helped me finding solutions to this issue and I think that I have solved the problem. I was using a 4k monitor from LG at 60Hz through DisplayPort, when I was using the cpu at full throttle the video begins showing lines and in times the video just disappear and then it appears like I was restarting the Mac. I then bought a new monitor, the LG 34UC98 it uses thunderbolt port for video and I'm using it now with no issues at all.
There is also an app that was causing me the flickering problem like crazy "CyberGhost VPN", when I ran it the flickering issue was all time, now with this monitor it just disappear. I'm using it at 3440x1440 @ 60Hz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.