Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
The flickers issue still exists in macOS Big Sur

I think GoodGuy12345 is right. This isn’t an issue with the cards or the software, but rather damage to the GPUs caused by overheating. So unfortunately you will need to replace the GPUs to fix the issue. Of course schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar at the Apple store so they can make the evaluation. Make sure you don’t overheat the new ones. Keep them cool by using one of the 3rd party apps to control the fan.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I think GoodGuy12345 is right. This isn’t an issue with the cards or the software, but rather damage to the GPUs caused by overheating. So unfortunately you will need to replace the GPUs to fix the issue. Of course schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar at the Apple store so they can make the evaluation. Make sure you don’t overheat the new ones. Keep them cool by using one of the 3rd party apps to control the fan.

But when I downgrade to High Sierra, there is no flickers issue.

And when second display plugs into HDMI, there is no flickers too.

so I think it is still a driver problem?

Reactions: Mead

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010

if it's an hardware fault maybe it has to show also in 10.15.0 and 10.14.0... but it started from .1 of both. No problem at all in High Sierra.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I haven’t experienced the issue on either of my new D500 or D700 machines in Mojave or Catalina. If it was a software problem it would be happening with all of them.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I haven’t experienced the issue on either of my new D500 or D700 machines in Mojave or Catalina. If it was a software problem it would be happening with all of them.

What is the manufacturing date of your D500 or D700 machines?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I think plugging in the hdmi port probably triggers DisplayPort to boost the Signal voltage (pre-emphasis). I have the FirePro cards and the more ports you use the less stable it gets.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I think plugging in the hdmi port probably triggers DisplayPort to boost the Signal voltage (pre-emphasis). I have the FirePro cards and the more ports you use the less stable it gets.

Interesting to know that
[automerge]1593602986[/automerge]

I think you are right
when I stress the Card B using geekbench5, the flicker issue is gone during the stress test too

Last edited:

photomek

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Germany, Paderborn
I am a bit confused right now. So for the users, that are experiencing the issues, with the latest Mojave-Updates there are no problems, right? Or do I have to go back to High Sierra?

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I am a bit confused right now. So for the users, that are experiencing the issues, with the latest Mojave-Updates there are no problems, right? Or do I have to go back to High Sierra?

Have to go back to High Sierra

Mojave, Catalina, big sur have flicker issue

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
What is the manufacturing date of your D500 or D700 machines?

2014 (D500; It remained unsold at the local university until I bought it this year) and 2017 (D700).
[automerge]1593627393[/automerge]
I'm thinking you could solve the issue by replacing only GPU 2 (graphics board B) since that's the one that drives the display. Of course the Apple store Genius Bar advisor would need to make the determination.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
2014 (D500; It remained unsold at the local university until I bought it this year) and 2017 (D700).
[automerge]1593627393[/automerge]
I'm thinking you could solve the issue by replacing only GPU 2 (graphics board B) since that's the one that drives the display. Of course the Apple store Genius Bar advisor would need to make the determination.

thanks for info

my machine D700 manufacturing date is 2013

replacement is super expensive and the flicker is not fatal problem, may keep it

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
thanks for info

my machine D700 manufacturing date is 2013

replacement is super expensive and the flicker is not fatal problem, may keep it

Have you gotten a quote from the Apple store? I know replacements are expensive via 3rd party vendors, but I don’t think Apple charges that much for a repair.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Have you gotten a quote from the Apple store? I know replacements are expensive via 3rd party vendors, but I don’t think Apple charges that much for a repair.

replace both D700 cards in official Apple , Quote around HKD $4500

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
replace both D700 cards in official Apple , Quote around HKD $4500

It looks like that is about $580 USD. That is a very good price. The parts alone from a 3rd party supplier are about $2000 USD, or HKD $15500. I believe Apple would include new GPUs, new thermal pads, and thermal grease. And of course warrantied installation utilizing their special tools.

Koenson

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2020
As I'm experiencing this flickering also (although very lightly) I was reading through this mail thread and saw the remark about switching from DP to HDMI. I just did that and it seems that the flickering is gone. I experienced slight flickering of the right side of my screen (Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840). I'm using a second hand 6-core 2013 trashcan system with d500 cards. Must say that quite recently I started to experience some sort of screen refreshes where the entire screen briefly turned pitch black. These refreshes were getting more frequent and the duration of the black-out went from 0,5 second to 2 - 3 seconds.
I will do some more testing if just switching to HDMI has completely resolved the issue. Will come back with an update in 1 or 2 weeks.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
This won't always fix the issue, but if you're using Chrome on a Mac Pro 6,1, you should go into Chrome Settings > Advanced Settings and turn "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available" to OFF.

photomek

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Germany, Paderborn
I just stumpled on this:

So I am convinced even more now that this is a driver issue only.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I just stumpled on this:

So I am convinced even more now that this is a driver issue only.

Yes
Definitely driver issue

there is no problem in high sierra

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Had the flicker. Just got the other GPU replaced (have now replaced both since getting the machine three years ago) and most of the cabling/daughter cards. No flicker.

Drivers may be part of the problem, or all the problem for some people, but there is (or will be) hardware damage related to this issue.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Had the flicker. Just got the other GPU replaced (have now replaced both since getting the machine three years ago) and most of the cabling/daughter cards. No flicker.

Drivers may be part of the problem, or all the problem for some people, but there is (or will be) hardware damage related to this issue.

what GPU are you using? D500 or D700?
No flicker after replacement? maybe both firmware and hardware problem, seems no other solution beside replacement

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
The temporary solution which worked immediately: Run the display at 50 instead of 60Hz. There is a Utility for Mac to override the fact, that you cannot choose 50Hz.
No idea, whether this is of any help for your machine, but I got rid of all problems at 50Hz.

I never used a 4k display. But...
What Utility did you use?
Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.