Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I never used a 4k display. But...
What Utility did you use?
Thank you

Long time ago... It must have been SwitchresX, wchich gives you the opportunity to use the normally not available 50Hz refresh rate.

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
Ok, I know switchResX. As I remember it was a little unconfortable in usage.
I thought, maybe there would be a different lightwight tool with only the 50Hz option.
Thank you!

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I thought, maybe there would be a different lightwight tool with only the 50Hz option.
Thank you!
Ist is not only a little uncomfortable, it is kind of a nightmare ?
But the time I used it, it did a marvelous job, because it did exactly, what I wanted it do do without the restrictions of a streamlined App.

Last edited:

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Thank you!

another solution is plugging a HDMI dongle into Mac Pro 2013,
with second display connected, flicker will be gone too

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
D700. Flickr free (although I've only been using it a few weeks since the replacement).

may I have your details of your replaced D700?
here is mine with flickering problem

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 00.38.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 00.38.13.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 00.37.52.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 00.37.52.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 130

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
another solution is plugging a HDMI dongle into Mac Pro 2013,
with second display connected, flicker will be gone too
Or you can force the use of the 30Hz refresh-rate by switching MST modes on your monitor. This has the same consequences as using HDMI on a UHD-monitor. Worked for me, but 30Hz is not really a joy...

photomek

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Germany, Paderborn
I am thinking about getting a HDMI dongle to fix this flickering on my Mac Pro. Does it matter if the dongle supports 1080p or 4k? And will Mac OS show a second monitor then?

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I am thinking about getting a HDMI dongle to fix this flickering on my Mac Pro. Does it matter if the dongle supports 1080p or 4k? And will Mac OS show a second monitor then?

doesn't matter if 1080p or 4k
macOS will show a second monitor

no flicker after using a HDMI dongle

photomek

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Germany, Paderborn
Maybe it's too early, but I am a bit excited right now. I have just installed 10.15.7 and I cannot reproduce the flickering, yet. The newest update is supposed to fix the graphical glitches, which seems to be the same as with my Mac Pro, for the new iMac 27".

I am eager to hear from you and the other users with their iMac 27". :D

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Maybe it's too early, but I am a bit excited right now. I have just installed 10.15.7 and I cannot reproduce the flickering, yet. The newest update is supposed to fix the graphical glitches, which seems to be the same as with my Mac Pro, for the new iMac 27".

I am eager to hear from you and the other users with their iMac 27". :D

flicker still exists in 10.15.7

ze-fu

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2020
Hi there, I had a similar problem.
First with Chrome only (an update fixed it) and then with Pages.
I have a D500 and an Asus VG289 connected via a 60hz compatible thunderbolt to display port cable. Really annoying :(

zf

Last edited:

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Hi there, I had a similar problem.
First with Chrome only (an update fixed it) and then with Pages.
I have a D500 and an Asus VG289 connected via a 60hz compatible thunderbolt to display port cable. Really annoying :(

zf

if u could use 4k 30hz then there will be no flicker

Mead

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Hello All,

I just got my MacPro back out (other Mac is now at Apple for service) and did a clean install of Big Sur.
Still shows the white lines down the right side of the display when Chrome is playing video.
Does stop when running the Chrome window on the left of the display!! :rolleyes:

P2715Q connected via MiniDP running 4K@60.

My D700's mirror that of gnomeisland's post above.

Oh well

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Never had a flicker in High Sierra since it was released. Updated to Big Sur last week and now I have flickering. I suspect that with a single monitor the cards clock themselves down too far/go into low power state causing the flickering. This has been an issue with AMD cards on the PC side of things, but can be fixed by upping the idle clock speeds. Plugging in a second monitor usually resolves the issue with the Mac Pro but it's frustrating that a second monitor (real or dummy) is required. I suspect Apple does this to hit target power requirements.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
Never had a flicker in High Sierra since it was released. Updated to Big Sur last week and now I have flickering. I suspect that with a single monitor the cards clock themselves down too far/go into low power state causing the flickering. This has been an issue with AMD cards on the PC side of things, but can be fixed by upping the idle clock speeds. Plugging in a second monitor usually resolves the issue with the Mac Pro but it's frustrating that a second monitor (real or dummy) is required. I suspect Apple does this to hit target power requirements.

agree
seems no driver solution to this?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
On a hackintosh, I had to add the PP_MediumStateDownHysteresisTimeOut and PP_SISLANDSMediumStateHysteresisDown properties in the ACPI tables to prevent my FirePro W9000 from glitching ... around osx 10.11 to 10.12 I think? Sounds very similar to this issue. It's a rather complicated process tho.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I haven’t experienced any graphical problems with my D700s and I’m using a single monitor. If it’s having issues I suggest to take it to Apple for repair.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I haven’t experienced any graphical problems with my D700s and I’m using a single monitor. If it’s having issues I suggest to take it to Apple for repair.

what is your resolution of your monitor

the problem exists when you are using 4K at 60 Hz or above

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
On a hackintosh, I had to add the PP_MediumStateDownHysteresisTimeOut and PP_SISLANDSMediumStateHysteresisDown properties in the ACPI tables to prevent my FirePro W9000 from glitching ... around osx 10.11 to 10.12 I think? Sounds very similar to this issue. It's a rather complicated process tho.
need to use clover bootloader?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
it is not hardware problem , I think it is related to driver problem
I have no issues at 4K 60 Hz. If it was a driver problem then all of them would be experiencing that issue. They don’t. Therefore it is a hardware problem. Most likely heat damage as has already been discussed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.