Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2014
Thank you kindly for the guidance it's appreciated. I'm downloading 12.6.8 atm.

I'll read back through this thread before I pull the trigger. What I do know is Mojave has not crashed on me not one single time, and I'm haunted by memories of the random shutdowns prior to that, so I'm apprehensive still.

I do hope this works out. It crossed my mind that Apple engineers may have 'masked' hardware issues with the coding of Mojave. The alternative is to keep it as an offline machine running the DAW on Mojave and save for a Mac Mini or Studio. I don't feel that's sustainable long term.

My battery is approx 8 years old I've not tested it and not aware of any issues with it. The machine is powered up most of the time. Maybe I'll replace the battery as a precautionary measure due to its age...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My battery is approx 8 years old I've not tested it and not aware of any issues with it. The machine is powered up most of the time. Maybe I'll replace the battery as a precautionary measure due to its age...

The RTC battery provide power all the time for a series of time related counters - if the RTC BR2032 battery doesn't have enough power, the counters start to misbehave, then became stuck and you get KPs all over.

Check the Apple Technician Manual, you have to replace whenever is below 2.8V, from my experience, with 2,9V you'll start to have issues.

Reactions: FilthyMcNasty

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Maybe I'll replace the battery as a precautionary measure due to its age...
Please let us know your experience with this. I have been debating the same thing but put it off because you have to disassemble the entire Mac Pro to get to the battery.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0

Does this mean power save is turned off the and computer does not sleep?
With this command it is stable. Ita takes several keystrokes to wake the displays from sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.