Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Just upgraded to Monterey. Sleep results in a crash and restart - any one else has this issue?
This was an upgrade and not a clean install. I will post the crash report later. Never had issues with sleep in the last 3 years 8 months.

Edit: macOS 12.4 Solves this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: rschloss

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
That's because it's only been available for 5 minutes.......?
Wait for a couple of point updates, new versions of MacOS always have teething problems.

Plus send a crash report to Apple, seeing as your machine is officially supported, so it gets fixed in the next update.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Could be related to a third party application or tool you have installed, or something externally connected maybe.

TransientWolf

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Same issue exactly. Scheduled to sleep at midnight every day and i have to manually restart every morning

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
What if you just select sleep from the menu, or if it goes to sleep through energy saver settings.
Does it work then?

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Did sleep work before with a different macOS? Sleep issues with the 6,1 can be related to a low or failing buffer battery. So it might need to be replaced.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Did sleep work before with a different macOS? Sleep issues with the 6,1 can be related to a low or failing buffer battery. So it might need to be replaced.

In my case, it’s completely due to the Monterey update. Was working fine up until the update earlier this week and then crashing regularly on sleep since then.

BubbaMc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Have you ever replaced the real time clock battery? Might be time to do so.

lwhitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2006
Just upgraded to Monterey. Sleep results in a crash and restart - any one else has this issue?
This was an upgrade and not a clean install. I will post the crash report later. Never had issues with sleep in the last 3 years 8 months.
same issue here. started immediately after monterey upgrade. will wake ok if done shortly after sleep, but if has been awhile, crashes.

martinmasse

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
Québec
Same here...crashed twice this morning after a short sleeping period. I did a test and closed Docker before letting it sleep for a while. It dit not crashed...

Do you also run docker?

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Same here...crashed twice this morning after a short sleeping period. I did a test and closed Docker before letting it sleep for a while. It dit not crashed...

Do you also run docker?
I do, in fact, run Docker. I’ll kill it and see if the crashes stop.

loponen

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
Same here. Mac Pro (Late 2013) crashes in sleep every time. Worked fine with Big Sur before updating to Monterey.

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Like MisterAndrew, mine wakes fine but takes a hair longer than on Big Sur or other.
I did replace my BR2032 recently however.
If in doubt, check your BR2032 battery level. Replace as necessary. (3v or less) This is not a basic task however, and I would recommend that you review the service guide prior to doing anything.
Most of these type of problems seem to correlate with low battery issues.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
Same here, or almost as my Mac appears to shut down when going to sleep. I have to push the power button to bring it back to life. It briefly mentions that something wrong happened but it does not offer the option to view and send the crash log....

My eGPU (enabled with Kryptonite) is also not working reliably - it works perhaps in one out of 5 attempts. Very frustrating as I need my eGPU to drive my screen at its native 5K res. Otherwise it is scaled 4K @ 30 Hz...:rolleyes:

It looks like Apple wants me to buy a new Mac. Give me a Mini with M1 Max and I might just do that.

EDIT: the eGPU is reliably detected, what does not work so reliably is for macOS to use the eGPU for monitor output. After a few reboots I got it working again. I have now switched off the computer sleep, I hope this will be a bit more stable - fingers crossed.

Last edited:

TheValleyOfDefilement

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Same here, or almost as my Mac appears to shut down when going to sleep. I have to push the power button to bring it back to life. It briefly mentions that something wrong happened but it does not offer the option to view and send the crash log....

My eGPU (enabled with Kryptonite) is also not working reliably - it works perhaps in one out of 5 attempts. Very frustrating as I need my eGPU to drive my screen at its native 5K res. Otherwise it is scaled 4K @ 30 Hz...:rolleyes:

It looks like Apple wants me to buy a new Mac. Give me a Mini with M1 Max and I might just do that.

EDIT: the eGPU is reliably detected, what does not work so reliably is for macOS to use the eGPU for monitor output. After a few reboots I got it working again. I have now switched off the computer sleep, I hope this will be a bit more stable - fingers crossed.
When was the last time you checked or replaced your RTC battery?

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
When was the last time you checked or replaced your RTC battery?
Never did it (I'm not the first owner of this machine so not sure if it has ever been done before). I'll have to source that uncommon BR2032 (although, given how much life is left in this machine, perhaps a CR2032 might do) and plan a quiet evening for unmounting/mounting. I did it a few times already (CPU thermal paste change), I was not looking forward to repeat the exercise ;-)

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
I have this sleep crash problem after upgrade to Monterey clean install too.

If sleep for short time, no problem
If overnight sleep, it crashed , sometimes it restarted already, sometimes turned off.

loponen

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
I did PRAM and SMC reset on wednesday and it crashed several times after that, last crash was on thursday. Strangely enough no crashes after that, not even after two overnight sleep modes.

edit: aaand crash again on sunday

Last edited:

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I have this sleep crash problem after upgrade to Monterey clean install too.

If sleep for short time, no problem
If overnight sleep, it crashed , sometimes it restarted already, sometimes turned off.

This is exactly the same behavior I’m seeing.

Reactions: adamdport
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.