Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

haroldkman2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
I upgraded my Mac Mini 2018 to Monterey 3-4 days ago and when I put it to Sleep manually and it stayed asleep for more than a short period of time (an hour or so), it would crash. I unchecked "Enable Power Nap" and "Wake for network access" in the "Energy Saver" preferences and it hasn't crashed for 2 days now. FYI.
After 5-6 days, it finally did crash. I manually put it to sleep and it crashed overnight. I sent in the crash report and it appears to have crashed in bluetoothd. Not sure what to do at this point but just hope it doesn't happen often and that it will be addressed soon.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
It’s super annoying. Seems to happen anytime the machine is left asleep for an extended period. I’ll hear the startup chime coming from the computer at random times and go into my office to see the computer has restarted. The interesting thing is if you don’t notice the crash report, you might not realize the computer has restarted since MacOS has reopened all of your apps.

Reactions: Selsk

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
After 5-6 days, it finally did crash. I manually put it to sleep and it crashed overnight. I sent in the crash report and it appears to have crashed in bluetoothd. Not sure what to do at this point but just hope it doesn't happen often and that it will be addressed soon.
Yes
I think it is my Bluetooth connected Logitech mouse and keyboard causes sleep crash

Trying to use usb dongle to see

raynor

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
My Mac Pro 2013 stopped crashing when I disconnected all USB-devices (had a built in USB-hub in a Dell monitor and a M-audio interface, unplugging just the monitor was not enough). It's clear to me that this is issue with power management and USB for sure and while some MacBooks seems to have issues with even connecting USB-disk drives and whatnot, the issue with the Mac Pro seems to be power management during sleep/wake.

adingley

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2021
Philadelphia
Having this issue too — Was originally suspecting that it was my SSD:
  • I have an m.2 NVME 2TB ssd installed in my Mac Pro 6,1 (using a pci3.x adapter bridge: Pic Below )
  • I recently learned that my cylinder was running years'-old Firmware (it hadn't been updated since before the Mojave firmware/EFI update (because you NEEDED and apple-original SSD to receive that firmware update)... this originally prevented me from even updating to Monterey. (I was getting the "incompatible internal storage" error upon attempts to install Monterey.
  • I bought a small apple original SSD on eBay / voila! — installed Monterey without an issue / then swapped back and was able to install Monterey on my aftermarket NVME via that PCI3.x bridge adapter. (and I'm still running Big Sur on two other partitions of the 2TB NVME SSD).
  • Been testing Monterey on the 6,1 tower for 2wks, and noticing that it randomly crashes during sleep (it's been happening about every other day-ish). Big Sur never crashes during sleep (leading me to NOT suspect a system-battery or any hardware failures/issues)
For the other folks who are having this issue; are you running Apple Factory SSD's ? Or OWC Auxa X2s? or other 3rd party brand NVME's via similar adapters?
Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 9.11.25 AM.png

— For now, I'm just gonna keep on running in Big Sur day-to-day, and when point releases of Monterey come out, I'll update that APFS partition and try again.

Reactions: Selsk and adamdport

realitydistortion

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
For the other folks who are having this issue; are you running Apple Factory SSD's ? Or OWC Auxa X2s? or other 3rd party brand NVME's via similar adapters?
Is your Big Sur install which doesn't crash updated to 11.6.1? Does the crash log give an MCA Error? I have had this start to occur on Big Sur but only recently since the 11.6.1 update and as per your note, not every day.

I'm running a third party 2TB NVMe drive with similar adapter.

Others seem to say the same in this reddit thread regarding 11.6.1, and also the crash being persistent even after downgrade all the way back to High Sierra - so maybe it relates to the bootrom update that was included with Big Sur 11.6.1 and Monterey? (11.6.1 updated it to 429.40.7.0.1). No mention of SSD vs NVMe etc in that thread.

Same MCA Error mentioned in this macrumors thread, with reports on it being present with an OWC Aura Pro 2 SSD. But I would be keen to know if anyone getting these reports are using the stock Apple SSD.

In the above linked thread, @tsialex touched on a potential power related issue - might be related if all these reports are for machines using potentially more power hungry NVMe's?

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
I'm running (on purpose now) original apple SATA SSD 500GB. I have upgraded the memory on this one to 64GB though, because original 32GB gave me a lot of ECC errors. I'm running 11.5.1, to see if the newest updates and/or firmwares have been the culprit.

But no. It's the same for me. System does not want to sleep cracefully. And it did hang the user interface too something like a week ago, and I had to force shut down the machine.

I might now upgrade to NVMe as well, because that does not seem to be causing the faults. It's with the orig. drive too.

I plan to use Kingston KC2500 2TB with Sintech adapter. I don't know what kind of power specifications one should look for the upgrade drives. Is there some information on Apples drive specs in 6,1?

edit.
btw, here is the Kingston spec for KC2500:
.003W Idle / .2W Avg / 2.1W (MAX) Read / 7W (MAX) Write

Last edited:

realitydistortion

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
The below charts from this thread might help.

I’m now not sure if it would be a power issue given it worked fine until 11.6.1 (and anecdotally the same for a large number of people reporting the issue).

Many drives use similar or less power than the Apple 12+16 AHCI drive in the MacBook Pros.

1F32B29D-2C22-4381-AE06-33C63ACCB835.png

35003D47-9D0D-4487-8C85-6EA8024467B7.png

Reactions: mikas

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Wow, thanks a lot.

KC2500 max watts (7W) seems to exceed anything on the list (skimmed through it..).
970 EVO+ average system use is 6W.

Me too don't think it would be about power though, because I have the Apple one (3,4W), and problems persist still with it too. BUt then again, it just could.

And I think it would not be about Monterey either, it's happening on Big Sur as well.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Mine has the stock drive in it. I’d tried an nvme drive in it a while back but it just ran too hot so went back to the original. Not convinced it’s anything particularly special about the machine that causes the crash. I do suspect that you can get the crash and not be aware of it because the machine reboots and unless you had an app running that doesn’t auto-restart then you might not be aware it happened. It’ll just look like it’s waking from sleep more slowly than usual.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
My Mac mini 2014 also has trouble with sleep, in addition to my MP 2013. The mini does not crash, only there is no signal to the monitor after sleep. I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. So I think this is a general issue in Monterey, not only with MP 6,1 but other older Macs.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Same issue on my iMac Pro. This all started after the Monterey update as well. Glad I found this thread. Will try energy settings and see if it does anything.

I do have an external SSD plugged in at all times (Time Machine). May unplug that.

chkwong

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2020
seems no crash after noting using bluetooth connected mouse and keyboard
just use USB dongle to connect is ok

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
About a week after installing Monterey my 6,1 crashed overnight. Since then, 2 more reboots aka full login needed. Since then it has gone about a week with no problems, just the password screen in the mornings.

Mine is 6 core, with 64gb of Samsung ram and an Apple 1tb AHCI ssd.

adingley

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2021
Philadelphia
I brought this up to AppleCare, and a senior advisor spent 20min taking notes from my system & experience. So far, he's recommended a PRAM zap and an (unplug / replug) SMC reset. After the Monterey update I've noticed two peculiar things:
  • The reboots during sleep (not every single sleep, but roughly 60% of the sleeps that last multiple hours... so about 4x per week) — it's even been crashing/restarting during sleep in Big Sur.
  • I remember folks talking about Apple brining back the "boot-up chime" in recent macOS versions. My machine was never "chiming" in boot up at all. (mind you, I did have that antiquated firmware until I got an Apple-orig SSD) — but even with the most-current Mac Pro 6,1 firmware, I wasn't getting chimes; neither at boot-up nor restart.

Now I know that other users on this thread (@loponen & @stevefal) have mentioned trying either/both fixes that Apple recommended here (with no lasting results), but after last-night's support call w/ Apple — I did a PRAM zap on the machine, and suddenly... it chimes! (I know that's not specifically relevant to this thread, but given that it wasn't doing that at all, even after recent firmware updates... I have some confidence that an impact was made on the machine.) With any luck, I'll see it remain free of crashing-during sleep. It successfully slept all night without crashing (in Big Sur) last night, so I'll keep an eye out. I'll report back after a week of no-crashes. If I make it that far, I'll try Monterey for a week and chime in about it then (pun intended)

Last edited:
Reactions: loby

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
This seems to be a hard one to detect. It's there on Big Sur, it's there on Monterey, and it might have been there before on earlier OS too. I can't remember.

It seems to be kind of sporadic type of a kernel panic. Couple of weeks ago I just got two of those panics in a couple of days, and now, I've been running this same 6,1 D300 without interrupts for 12 days. No sleep though. That's a no for now.

1638462039269.png

And there is no pattern in those panics, at least not that I can read or comprehend. There might be some suspects of the reasons with the knowledgeable people, but I guess it's a diminishing returns game to shoot those reasons down as of today.

I wish I had time to compare D300/D500 behavior in a useful way with this. But I don't.

Attachments

• 1638462009811.png
    1638462009811.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 71

SimonHodgkiss

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2021
I recommend you try this!

Sleep your Mac Pro 6,1 as normal and then completely unplug all connected displays from the power outlet.

Alternatively use a smart plug and disable the power to all connected displays completely.

When you are ready to use your Mac again.

Reconnect power displays and wake the Mac with keyboard / mouse as you normally would do so.

baas

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
Installed Monterey yesterday on my macbook air 2018. Noticed overnight and today that it crashed and rebooted after it wake from sleep. I'm using a satechi UBS-C hub with Apple LED 24" cinema display and Logitech M705 mouse. I was still using logitech control center which isn't officially supported, so I removed this and installed Logitech options. Could that have something to do with it? I haven't noticed crashes since then, but has only been asleep for short period since.

SimonHodgkiss

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2021
Installed Monterey yesterday on my macbook air 2018. Noticed overnight and today that it crashed and rebooted after it wake from sleep. I'm using a satechi UBS-C hub with Apple LED 24" cinema display and Logitech M705 mouse. I was still using logitech control center which isn't officially supported, so I removed this and installed Logitech options. Could that have something to do with it? I haven't noticed crashes since then, but has only been asleep for short period since.

Try disconnecting the Apple Display does it still sleep crash?

baas

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
Try disconnecting the Apple Display does it still sleep crash?

It woke up this morning after a crash again, so I tried resetting SMC and NVRAM. Will see what happens, if it is still crashing I will try disconnecting the Apple Display.

Really weird and annoying bug, whatever it is I hope it is fixed in 12.1.

John Boydon

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2020
I had same problem with BigSur on my MacPro6,1. I solved it with: pmset -a standby 0

Regards
John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.