Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mike7377

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
Mac mini M1 has the same sleep crash problem, only change was upgrade to Monterey, which was a clean install. Also, if sleep is short time, no problem. Sleep over 5 minutes results in a black screen and reboot.

AndersonEdit

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
I am having the same issue here with my iMac Pro. Short sleep is ok but if it is an extended period of time it always shuts down. I had this issue with a previous OS update, which had to do with using a USB DisplayPort adapter. The only work-around was installing Amphetamine, which is definitely not ideal. I really hope they come up with a patch soon.

Reactions: wgr73

stevefal

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
My 2013 Mac Pro is doing this too.

Anyone open the crash report to see what process it crashed in? I believe mine is crashing in the Apple firewire driver.

msandifo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
I have had this problem, but seems to be better behaved with all energy saver preference check boxes off (early days)

msandifo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
happy to report - still no crashes since I unchecked all boxes in "energy saver" system preferences

Reactions: Selsk

stevefal

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
Google 'monterey usb crash". There are problems with USB hubs. I disconnected one of my hubs (Sabrent 4 port), and for the first time since upgrading to Monterey, it did not crash overnight.

Reactions: vddobrev

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Google 'monterey usb crash". There are problems with USB hubs. I disconnected one of my hubs (Sabrent 4 port), and for the first time since upgrading to Monterey, it did not crash overnight.
My monitor has USB ports, and I have it connected with a USB cable. I will disconnect it and see what happens.

raynor

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
Same problem here. Upgraded to Monterey on a Mac Pro 2013 and suddenly it's crashing every night after being put to sleep. Tried to shut down Docker but that didn't help. My monitor has USB ports so I'm going to try disconnecting that as well.

In /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports I can see that a Sleep Wake Failure_YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS_Mac-Pro.diag is being generated with basically the following in it

Sleep Wake failure in EFI

Failure code:: 0x03000010 0x0000001f

Please IGNORE the below stackshot

yosemite47

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2021
I have a suspicion it's not Monterey.
My Mac Pro 2013 (I never upgraded beyond High Sierra) was running flawlessly for almost 8 years until last week when it began to either randomly restart or completely shut off.

I used the Terminal app to determine the cause, using the command:
log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 24h
The shutdown cause was designated "-2" which apparently implies that it's a problem with the logic board, graphics card, or RAM.

A friend of mine has been having the same problem.
Is this planned obsolescence?

stevefal

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
I get "-2" as well, but I did update to Monterey. Unplugging my Sabrent USB hub seemed to help one night, but now it's crashing again. But now I wake up to the machine shut down rather than restarted.

I'm going to try disconnecting my UPS USB, and start unloading drivers.

I seriously doubt Apple put a hardware timebomb in all these machines.

Reactions: loby

stevefal

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
I removed some non-critical drivers, unplugged my UPS USB and did PRAM reset. Still crashing during sleep.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
What drivers are you removing....?
A 6.1 macpro shouldn't need any drivers, everything should be in MacOS.

raynor

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
I get "-2" as well but that never happened before Monterey so I doubt it's an issue with the logic board.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I have a suspicion it's not Monterey.
My Mac Pro 2013 (I never upgraded beyond High Sierra) was running flawlessly for almost 8 years until last week when it began to either randomly restart or completely shut off.

I used the Terminal app to determine the cause, using the command:
log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 24h
The shutdown cause was designated "-2" which apparently implies that it's a problem with the logic board, graphics card, or RAM.
Old thermal paste or a failing power supply? 8 years will take their toll on hardware caged in that little hot rod.
The CMOS battery is probably also due for a replacement now.

haroldkman2000

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
I upgraded my Mac Mini 2018 to Monterey 3-4 days ago and when I put it to Sleep manually and it stayed asleep for more than a short period of time (an hour or so), it would crash. I unchecked "Enable Power Nap" and "Wake for network access" in the "Energy Saver" preferences and it hasn't crashed for 2 days now. FYI.

stevefal

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
I upgraded my Mac Mini 2018 to Monterey 3-4 days ago and when I put it to Sleep manually and it stayed asleep for more than a short period of time (an hour or so), it would crash. I unchecked "Enable Power Nap" and "Wake for network access" in the "Energy Saver" preferences and it hasn't crashed for 2 days now. FYI.
I had those two options off already. Still crashes.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
My Mac Pro 6,1 with D700 graphics crashed for the first time during sleep on Monterey. It never did that on Catalina or Big Sur. Sent a crash report to Apple. It generated a panic file, but I can't make out any useful info.

loponen

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
I unchecked "Enable Power Nap" and "Wake for network access" in the "Energy Saver" preferences and it hasn't crashed for 2 days now. FYI.
Haven't had a single crash with MacPro6,1 since I unchecked everything under Energy Saver preferences. No crashes for almost a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.