Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majus

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
From AppleInsider: "Apple's next-generation iPhone lineup will ship out to customers and hit brick-and-mortar store shelves on Sept. 20, a release that coincides with the grand reopening of the company's newly renovated Fifth Avenue flagship in New York City."

That would be the perfect event to release the new Mac Pro. I'm betting that's when it will happen.

majus

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
The Mac Pro is next to irrelevant for Apple. I doubt that they will dilute the Iphone event with irrelevant announcements.
I wasn't saying it would be a big deal, just that it would be a good time to have it on the shelves at Apple stores due to people coming in for the new iPhone. Why waste such an opportunity?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I think it would be a much better time to announce in the store availability of the rumored 16” MacBook Pro, if it exists, as an Apple Event one more thing.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
The Mac Pro is next to irrelevant for Apple. I doubt that they will dilute the Iphone event with irrelevant announcements.
Ugh, I’m so tired of these “AidenShaw berating the Mac Pro” comments. It’s really old, dude.

Apple clearly cares deeply about the Mac Pro if they were willing to listen to us and give us the redesign we wanted.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Ugh, I’m so tired of these “AidenShaw berating the Mac Pro” comments. It’s really old, dude.
I am not "berating" the Mac Pro. Have I said that it's a

wrong-design.jpg ?​

How can anyone think that the Mac Pro is important to Apple - when they've shown that it's as important as Ipod socks? The Mac Pro is noise on the financial sheets, and that's the attention that it gets.

Apple is run by bean counters, so the Mac Pro is an afterthought.

Apple clearly cares deeply about the Mac Pro if they were willing to listen to us and give us the redesign we wanted.
I don't recall people wanting an 8 core system with only 32 GiB of RAM, only 256 GB of disk, an old mid-range GPU - for the bargain price of $6000. ;)

A $1,999 system for $5,999. Apple wasn't listening.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
It would be nice if it came out on Sept 20th, but I could see something similar happening to last time, as in it will be released on December 1st or something, as in „the end of autumn“...
I wish it was here now though. Finally would like to know how much money I need to plan to spend ;)

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
I don't see why the Pro needs to take time away from the iPhone. Just re-open the store with an ability to order a Pro, or at least with option pricing finally displayed. We've been patient enough.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Blair Paulsen

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
San Diego, CA USA
I guess the "sport" of banging on the base config of the mMP is just too much fun...

Apple has certainly earned some flak for how they've ignored the workstation market, but, as has been discussed to death, the base model is the starting point for configuration - not what 99% of buyers will actually work with.

Apple's pricing is a legit target, but opinions based on a fairer comparison would carry more weight.

For the folks who actually need a workstation, the more relevant discussion is what a $10-15,000 USD mMP can do vs an HP Z series at a similar cost.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
what a $10-15,000 USD mMP can do vs an HP Z series at a similar cost.
The mMP can run MacOS, Windows and Linux, will be quieter due to the massive cooler on both CPU and MPX module, the access to components will be optimal(beside build in Flash module), my guess is that the GPU option will be reasonably pricied so if you need large VRAM and won’t need CUDA it maybe very interesting.
The HP can run Nvidia GPU right out of the box(nobody knows for sure about Nvidia on mMP) and support a dual Xeon setup, though decent CPU are far pricier than the W series and most of the time they are not ideal for creative workflow since Xeon SP do not have large turbo.
An HP with similar specs won’t be any cheaper.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

Blair Paulsen

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
San Diego, CA USA
There are plenty of pros and cons discussions worth having when evaluating workstations. What will $12K (or 10, or 20, or whatever) get you from Apple vs others? nVidia support is a good example that will tip the scales for some use cases.

What do any of us learn by fixating on the base configuration? It's straw man argument.

Reactions: sirio76

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
What do any of us learn by fixating on the base configuration? It's straw man argument.

My guess is that many people who complain about the price are hobbiest or people who can’t afford/don’t need pricier configuration(no matter if they come from Apple, HP or wathever).
If you invest about 15000$ you can get a very good configuration(compared to competitors), especially if you don’t purchase RAM and storage from Apple, if you plan to keep your WS for about 5 years it will cost you about 8$ a day, if somebody can not absorb that little sum within a day of work then they should seriously reconsider their job.

majus

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Store site says "Coming this Fall", so...
Autumn 2019 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on
Monday, September 23 and end on Saturday, December 21.

So maybe September 20 isn't too far off the mark. We shall see.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Indulge us and spec a Mac Pro that you would purchase for your business, and possibly replace your personal Dell box with.
My personal Precision T3610 with upgrades was $2244.73. I won't replace it with a proprietary system which has a base price of nearly three times that, and is only marginally faster.

For business, we simply don't buy Mac desktops. Period.

Last edited:

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
On the low end ($2,350ish):

1. Case: Fractal Design XL R2 Black Silent $137
2. PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ $110
3. Motherboard: ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace $370
4. CPU: Ryzen 9 3900 (12 core/24 thread) $450ish
5. Memory: Crucial 32GB DDR4 3200 ECC (Each) $720 - (4 sticks for 128Gb)
6. Video: RX 5700 $350
7. SSD: Corsair Force MP600 (500Gb) $140

So, what do we have here?

1. Quiet Case - added bonus - no RGB
2. A PSU with more than enough grunt, because the CPU doesn't require a 1K PSU. And no RGB.
3. A motherboard that will use ECC ram - added bonus - no RGB.
4. A 65 watt CPU with 50% more cores/threads than a base Mac Pro - No RGB.
5. 4 times the ECC ram of a base Mac Pro. All AMD CPUs will use ECC if the motherboard supports it. And no RGB
6. A Navi based CPU - no proprietary connector, no last generation (or later GPU) for me. And no RGB
7. PCIe 4.0 hard drive, faster and twice the size of a Base Mac Pro. And no RGB.
8. And I can buy this right now......
9. If you don't want to build it yourself, you can order it (albeit with a case with a side window and liquid cooling) from VelocityMicro.com for a shade over $2,800.
10. Added bonus - an AM4 socket motherboard means I can drop in a Zen3 CPU in 2020. I don't see that happening with Intel's "Socket of the Month" strategy.

You can do the same thing with a threadripper system - it will start at about $3,500 to match the base Mac Pro (8 cores/32Gb ram/RX 580). At $6,500 you are at 32 cores & 256Gb of ram.

Eypc will start at about $4,500 and can go to a 128 core system for $31,000 or thereabouts.

The price/performance ratio will get even worse if Intel follows through and lowers the price of their CPUs across the board, because we know Timmy won't do that.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
December 30th (not more than a dozen) - in volume 1st Quarter 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
My personal Precision T3610 with upgrades was $2244.73. I won't replace it with a proprietary system which has a base price of nearly three times that, and is only marginally faster.

For business, we simply don't buy Mac desktops. Period.
Ah, I thought you might consider them if Nvidia support returned.

On the low end ($2,350ish):

1. Case: Fractal Design XL R2 Black Silent $137
2. PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ $110
3. Motherboard: ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace $370
4. CPU: Ryzen 9 3900 (12 core/24 thread) $450ish
5. Memory: Crucial 32GB DDR4 3200 ECC (Each) $720 - (4 sticks for 128Gb)
6. Video: RX 5700 $350
7. SSD: Corsair Force MP600 (500Gb) $140

So, what do we have here?

1. Quiet Case - added bonus - no RGB
2. A PSU with more than enough grunt, because the CPU doesn't require a 1K PSU. And no RGB.
3. A motherboard that will use ECC ram - added bonus - no RGB.
4. A 65 watt CPU with 50% more cores/threads than a base Mac Pro - No RGB.
5. 4 times the ECC ram of a base Mac Pro. All AMD CPUs will use ECC if the motherboard supports it. And no RGB
6. A Navi based CPU - no proprietary connector, no last generation (or later GPU) for me. And no RGB
7. PCIe 4.0 hard drive, faster and twice the size of a Base Mac Pro. And no RGB.
8. And I can buy this right now......
9. If you don't want to build it yourself, you can order it (albeit with a case with a side window and liquid cooling) from VelocityMicro.com for a shade over $2,800.
10. Added bonus - an AM4 socket motherboard means I can drop in a Zen3 CPU in 2020. I don't see that happening with Intel's "Socket of the Month" strategy.

You can do the same thing with a threadripper system - it will start at about $3,500 to match the base Mac Pro (8 cores/32Gb ram/RX 580). At $6,500 you are at 32 cores & 256Gb of ram.

Eypc will start at about $4,500 and can go to a 128 core system for $31,000 or thereabouts.

The price/performance ratio will get even worse if Intel follows through and lowers the price of their CPUs across the board, because we know Timmy won't do that.
That's nice performance for $2800. If tonymacx86 made a golden build based on that, I'd definitely consider it.

Anyway, back to availability talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.