Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imax05

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Hi,
I have a MP 2013 12 core, dual D700, 64GB RAM, 1 TB ssd.

I'm manly an editor video, I use often RAW files, I do also some color correction.
At this time I use FCPX and DaVINCI Resolve.

I have 3 big Areca Thunderbolt 2 Raid 5 with a lot of data! :)

I'm thinking to upgrade my system now or waiting another year for the new upcoming MP M2X 2022... or.. whatever

the other option is to buy now MP 7,1 base, add a 6900 xt or 6800 (PC version), and wait some times to upgrade step by step other things like the CPU.. I think the MP 2019 7,1 could last for several years.. but the Silicon CPU is a big change in the PC game...

Another option is to buy a macbook pro 14/16 M1x in November 21 + dual monitor .. and wait for another year or more.. and in the meantime star on using Silicon ... In fact I had also a 2014 macbook pro who is at the end of his honored service!

Normally my setup in years is a macpro (more powerfull) + a macbook pro (with average specifications)..

I thing with Silicon system, I can buy with 10K € a MP Silicon + MBP.. and maybe more things..
The intel version of 7,1 I think is very expensive for the base version and I need a minimum of 10K only for the MP...

Thank you!
C

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There will always be something better down the line (albeit in the Mac Pro world, that can sometimes mean 10 years down the line ?). But the 7,1 is a beast, and paired with a new GPU is a brilliant option for video editing.

And upgraded to a top level CPU etc. it gets even better.

Given that we're unlikely to see outrageous increases in the difficulty of processing video files for the next few years at least (things have stabilised quite a bit of late). I think a 7,1 will be a perfectly safe choice for the next few years at least (possibly longer if we keep getting updated GPU drivers for it).

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Every new release is taking longer and longer it seems, so you may be waiting a long time for a Mac Pro update. Given that Apple just added MPX modules, if you buy smart now - you can put together a good system.

Get a refurbished, or maybe even used - and upgrade it yourself. You can get ram, CPU for much cheaper now. The GPUs are also much more flexible - MPX or regular 6000 series work fine too.

The only thing a refreshed Mac Pro would bring would be W3300 Intel CPUs possibly, which will be expensive and not a massive video editing boost imo for the price imo.

The Apple Silicon Mac Pro is still really far away, probably 2022 until we even see that

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

imax05

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Also worth considering seeing as your a Resolve user:

I seen it...And it makes me think...for a video editor, who uses FCPX and Davinci which are super optimized programs for Apple Silicon .. it is easy to think that a MacBook Pro M1X will already be a very good computer .. a transition waiting for more later ...

Reactions: MarkC426

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I seen it...And it makes me think...for a video editor, who uses FCPX and Davinci which are super optimized programs for Apple Silicon .. it is easy to think that a MacBook Pro M1X will already be a very good computer .. a transition waiting for more later ...
But if you use a lot of raw files, I'm not sure the M1 is really great at that - I tested it vs my Mac Pro and the Mac Pro was many times faster, like 6x+ and the M1 would just grind to a halt with large high resolution projects.

The m1 is really good at 10 bit 422 H265 type codecs, though. But raw, the Mac Pro is still superior

Reactions: imax05

jscipione

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Any speed gains you get from m1 optimizations in Divinci Resolve will be outmatched once you add a 2nd or 3rd or 4th 6900 XT :)

Reactions: Adult80HD

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I think the new Mac Pros are coming soon, possibly to be announced next month. So it’s best to wait. However, if the Apple Silicon version is priced around $3-4k then right now might be the best time to sell a 6,1.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Hi,
I have a MP 2013 12 core, dual D700, 64GB RAM, 1 TB ssd.

I'm manly an editor video, I use often RAW files, I do also some color correction.
At this time I use FCPX and DaVINCI Resolve.

I have 3 big Areca Thunderbolt 2 Raid 5 with a lot of data! :)

I'm thinking to upgrade my system now or waiting another year for the new upcoming MP M2X 2022... or.. whatever

If the current MP 2013 system is not "failing" your workload currently ( e.g, costing you substantive losses , or failing to meet service delivery agreements ) then waiting is probably a better option at this point.

If there are lightweight fails now then that is more of toss up. If there are heavyweight fails then sooner is likely better than later. ( RAW files are/aren't getting bigger and more unwieldy for the MP 2013 to handle? If the file sizes are stable and it would be "nicer to have" more speed that is a 'lightweight fail" (or less). If passing up RAW file jobs because they are too big the nisa heavyweight fail. )

Waiting gets the following:

1. There is substantive evidence that a new Mac Pro is coming. If Apple shifts to the Xeon W-3300 series as the foundation then a pretty good chance that will see so higher count cores shift into the lower prices. For example start at 12 cores ( instead of 8 ) , 16 (instead of 12). If looking to crank up the core count on the next MP that could be a large sum. ( way better savings than "buying used now" , refurbished , etc. )

If that drops by December 2021 or Jan-Feb 2022 then really not that long to wait for a sizable price drop. (e.g., if entry goes to 12 core that would be a $1K drop. If looking for > 16 cores the price drop will probably be in several thousands. )

2. If looking to upgrade MBP then similar issue in that the pricing for the "M1X" MBP 14-16" will probably be "know" by the end of the year ( decent by end of October ). Again it is less than a 2 quarter wait to get relevant information.

I thing with Silicon system, I can buy with 10K € a MP Silicon + MBP.. and maybe more things..
The intel version of 7,1 I think is very expensive for the base version and I need a minimum of 10K only for the MP...

If going to hold onto that TBv2 external drive gear then also probably want to wait and see what happens with four port MBP options. Keeping those around if have all three , concurrently plugged into the current Mac Pro is probably going to be pretty expensive adapter wise ( e.g., a USB 4 hub and three 2-to-3 adapters ).

Indications are that the M-series Mac Pro is going to be "half sized" which likely means it will have a lower entry price. But if trying to fit both a MP and MBP under a10K budget allocated over the next couple of years it may help to leave the MP purchase for later. And to maybe upgrade one of those external drive enclosures sooner than than much , much later.

Finally, if Apple dropped a 20 core Mini by the end of the year that might be an option also if your MP 2013 isn't totally running out of computational power to handle your workload. That may not show up until the Spring tough so tougher to defer for. ( budget wise it may help fit a fixed budget over two systems targeting along with storage upgrades. )

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
But if you use a lot of raw files, I'm not sure the M1 is really great at that - I tested it vs my Mac Pro and the Mac Pro was many times faster, like 6x+ and the M1 would just grind to a halt with large high resolution projects.

For what budget? If spend 6x the money and get 6x performance .... that is ok if have 6x the money to spend.

Also M1X isn't going to be M1. Minimally probably talking at least 2x the GPU cores and 2x the number of P cores.
Full "Jade" die is leaked to be 8 P + 2 E + 32 G . That isn't going to get a 6x jump, but it also quite likely isn't going to be 6x jump in costs either.

Whether "Jade2C" still falls under "M1X" banner is unknown for 16P + 4E + 64G where a MP 2013 is working now probably will get covered in more than a few contexts ( including some RAW that isn't on the extreme end of the spectrum )

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
For what budget? If spend 6x the money and get 6x performance .... that is ok if have 6x the money to spend.

Also M1X isn't going to be M1. Minimally probably talking at least 2x the GPU cores and 2x the number of P cores.
Full "Jade" die is leaked to be 8 P + 2 E + 32 G . That isn't going to get a 6x jump, but it also quite likely isn't going to be 6x jump in costs either.

Whether "Jade2C" still falls under "M1X" banner is unknown for 16P + 4E + 64G where a MP 2013 is working now probably will get covered in more than a few contexts ( including some RAW that isn't on the extreme end of the spectrum )
I am excited to see what the new options bring to the table - cpu aside, how realistic do you think gpu performance will scale vs the current Mac Pro options now?

imax05

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
I decided to wait more, my 2013 MP is still acceptable, it's just a little slow with DaVinci during color, if I were to have a real bottleneck I could get an external ssd drive in raid and buffer it that way.

At this point waiting for an updated Intel Mac or if it does not come of a suitable silicon Mac later in 2022.

The MBP instead now struggles, always turning fans, but it seems that by November we could know the new laptops.

Thank you for your comments and advice

Reactions: MarkC426

imax05

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Is it possible to add eGPUs to the 6,1? I know they're only TB2, but that might be a way to improve performance with your current build for the time being.
I tried to use an e-gpu a few months ago, but the mac was very unstable... i sold it after a month of testing... if it worked well it was a great way to get ahead some more time...

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
I'm using Mac Pro 6,1 and Radeon VII with Razor Core X, and an Apple TB2 to TB3 bidirectional adapter.
It works. There are many sides to it though:
- Yes, my TrashCan is unstable. But it is like that wit or without the eGPU. Trobleshooting is still ongoing, but there is no guarantee it will solve anything.
- You need to install software, or in other words patch your system, for it to work.
SW: former PurgeWrangler, now Kryptonite: Kryptonite by eGPUIO and mac_editor
It has been evolving lately a lot, so it's a viable option for almost everyone now I think.
- my eGPU system does not sleep gracefully. I need to disconnect eGPUeverytime I want my Mac to sleep. Otherwise it immediately ramps up the fans and the noise is untolerable of course.
- Engaging or Connectingthe eGPU is a reliable procedure, but disconnecting is not. It keeps nagging everytime about it, but there seems to be no harm other than that nag (at least I haven't noticed anything).
- Performance is quite acceptable: LuxBall for an eGPU VII gives ~48000 versus 53000 in PCIe v2 slot. And it's more or less about double that of my last eGPU Vega56 26000. So I think I loose about 10% of performance like this versus my 5,1 setup.

I have bought another 6,1 and am going to test another unit almost with the same setup and eGPU, maybe just a little bit different software wise at first (MacOSversion).

I have a 4K (3840x2160) behind the eGPU VII and a WQHD (2560x1440) as my main display.
I believe you would need at least one main display attached to D300/500/700. I have not tried to manage any other kind of set up as of yet.

I might try two eGPUs just for the sake of it, I'd like to know how it performs despite the bandwidth limitations.

And I might need to change the RTC battery too, at least to this current one. There is a chance it straightens up the unreliableness of that particular 6,1.

1629805468561.png

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
I do realize this is not what OP was asking for, but not so much of a discussion here anymore, so maybe I'll just post this. Be it a piece of reference to what 2013 tcMP could be comparing to 2009 or 2010 cMP.

Mac Pro 2013 with TB2 to TB3 adapter Razor Core X eGPU with Radeon VII in it:
Just tested ArchiCAD 22 with a quite demanding and ongoing project. Over 1GB native .pln file. And a lot more linked to the project file, probably another gigabyte or more. Performance is almost flawless in 3D. And 2D is like, well, average. Like in ArchiCAD it seems to be with what ever HW you have got in your PC or Mac.
1629995759112.png

So yes it's a viable option still (tcMP 2013). Sure the 2019 will outperform it I'm confident about that. Personally I want to see how the AS Mac Pro will do. Then I decide. Jumping ships or not..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.