Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
I'm going to wait and see if 10.15 officially stops my 4.1/5.1 from being "worth" the upgrade. After about a decade, I wouldn't blame them, but I'm wondering how much borrowed time we have. That said, I have 2 quad 2.66. Is it even worth a 12 core upgrade at this point? I have 32GB 1066 DDR3 and an RX 580 8GB. I don't have issues gaming in Win 10 i.e. Division 2, Far Cry 5, etc. BUT why not squeeze a little more out? I guess want I'm trying to accomplish in this rant is what's the max amount that should be invested at this point in a CPU upgrade IF we can get another year of life from a 10.15 reprieve? I think after $500-$600 I might as well wait for the mythical new Mac Pro. Thoughts?

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I'm going to wait and see if 10.15 officially stops my 4.1/5.1 from being "worth" the upgrade. After about a decade, I wouldn't blame them, but I'm wondering how much borrowed time we have. That said, I have 2 quad 2.66. Is it even worth a 12 core upgrade at this point? I have 32GB 1066 DDR3 and an RX 580 8GB. I don't have issues gaming in Win 10 i.e. Division 2, Far Cry 5, etc. BUT why not squeeze a little more out? I guess want I'm trying to accomplish in this rant is what's the max amount that should be invested at this point in a CPU upgrade IF we can get another year of life from a 10.15 reprieve? I think after $500-$600 I might as well wait for the mythical new Mac Pro. Thoughts?

I already have two 5675's, and just ordered two *new* 5677's (4-core version of the 5690) for USD $230 ($70 less than I spent 18 months ago on the two 5675's); because I could, and I just don't need all the extra cores . . .

. . . $230 is nothing to sneeze at, but it's nothing to laugh at <smile>

If you have spare $, why /not/ take things further.

If you want to max your game on win32, I would suggest saving for an investment in a PC, as newer tech basically wipes the floor with the stoic workstation tech of the Mac Pro . . . my i3-gen2 with pci-3.0 feels faster in basic I/O, but it dain't run OS X ;)

Regards, splifingate

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I already have two 5675's, and just ordered two *new* 5677's (4-core version of the 5690) for USD $230 ($70 less than I spent 18 months ago on the two 5675's); because I could, and I just don't need all the extra cores . . .

. . . $230 is nothing to sneeze at, but it's nothing to laugh at <smile>

If you have spare $, why /not/ take things further.

If you want to max your game on win32, I would suggest saving for an investment in a PC, as newer tech basically wipes the floor with the stoic workstation tech of the Mac Pro . . . my i3-gen2 with pci-3.0 feels faster in basic I/O, but it dain't run OS X ;)

Regards, splifingate
$230?!?? eBay going prices for X5677 are less than $30…

I bought two X5680 recently for less than $100, on the last 15% eBay promo.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
I have 2 x5550 @ 2.67 apparently according to terminal. Either way, I'm comfortable where I'm at, just wondering if in makes sense in the big scheme of things to up the ante or wait. Also now I realize I have an old rom.
MP51.0084.B00 have no idea how to upgrade. Everythread mentioning the latest Rom (2/14/19) doesn't seem to say click here and do this, so I'm lost. Sigh...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have 2 x5550 @ 2.67 apparently according to terminal. Either way, I'm comfortable where I'm at, just wondering if in makes sense in the big scheme of things to up the ante or wait. Also now I realize I have an old rom.
MP51.0084.B00 have no idea how to upgrade. Everythread mentioning the latest Rom (2/14/19) doesn't seem to say click here and do this, so I'm lost. Sigh...
Read here the first post of the thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-what-you-have-to-do-to-upgrade-to-mojave.2142418 please note that it’s a two step upgrade.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
Mac Pro only install firmware upgrades with the full Mac App Store installer. You will need to install 10.13.6 into an empty disk to upgrade to MP51.0089.B00 then use the full Mojave installer to upgrade to 141.0.0.0.0.

Forgot I already had a drive with 10.13.6 installed but the rom is MP51.0084.B00 so I have to reinstall 10.13.6 by possibly downgrading, then install High Sierra again, then Upgrade to Mojave? Then after that, migrate the files from one Mojave installation to the other? How is it I have 2 different roms in the first place?

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
$230?!?? eBay going prices for X5677 are less than $30…

I bought two X5680 recently for less than $100, on the last 15% eBay promo.

*NIB*

I know the $ drill tsialex, but Virgin==Value to me <smile>

[edit]

The replacement of the x5675's with the x5677's was simple, and quick.

I am already noticing a discerned increase in 'peppiness' <smile>

My thermals (which was the governing factor in my purchase of the '75's) are {currently} awesome, and not noticeably different than that which I experienced with the latter(s) ;)

Regards, splifingate

Last edited:

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
Just pull that drive and use another one to do the updates. When done, pull the scratch drive, and put your working drive back in.

I'm slow today apparently. Pull the Mojave drive or the High Sierra Drive? Or both and use a 3rd Drive? Or are you saying pull the Mojave Drive and install Mojave on the High Sierra drive to possibly trigger the rom update, then when done, but the original Mojave drive in?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm slow today apparently. Pull the Mojave drive or the High Sierra Drive? Or both and use a 3rd Drive? Or are you saying pull the Mojave Drive and install Mojave on the High Sierra drive to possibly trigger the rom update, then when done, but the original Mojave drive in?

Why don't you follow the instructions on the Mojave install thread, read it again with attention.

Start from High Sierra disk, remove all other disks.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
It's only about $50 to upgrade to a pair of quad-core 3.46ghz CPUs (X5677s). If you can swing $80, that will get you a pair of hex-core 3.33ghz CPUs (X5680s).

That's a pretty decent upgrade for under $100. Plus, you can use 1333mhz RAM after the upgrade also.

Reactions: darthgeekonius

axrst

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2019
Greece
Hi guys, nice to "meet" you.

I have a 5.1 mac Pro 2 x 2.4 E5620 (bought back in 2011). Some months ago, I added a Radeon RX580 graphics card, and upgraded to Mojave. I also have a couple of 8GB Ram to add (so to have 32GB total) and I'm already waiting a NVMe blade/adaptor for the startup disk.

The next upgrade I'm planing is a CPU upgrade. And I have a couple of questions to you:
Do you thing that the upgrade to dual X5680s gives a noticeable boost to the speed? Is it better to go for the top of the line 5590s? I think that the CPUs must be pair or not? Have you an idea of the prices? I've found many different offers in ebay.

Thanks in advance!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Lots of threads on this. The consensus is that the X5680 are a better bargain the the X5690s. Not really that much difference. But, for me, I chose X5677. I really don't need 12 cores, 8 fast cores is plenty for me. Again LOTS of threads. Do a Search and you'll find them.

And - WELCOME to the site.

Lou

Reactions: splifingate

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Hi guys, nice to "meet" you.

I have a 5.1 mac Pro 2 x 2.4 E5620 (bought back in 2011). Some months ago, I added a Radeon RX580 graphics card, and upgraded to Mojave. I also have a couple of 8GB Ram to add (so to have 32GB total) and I'm already waiting a NVMe blade/adaptor for the startup disk.

The next upgrade I'm planing is a CPU upgrade. And I have a couple of questions to you:
Do you thing that the upgrade to dual X5680s gives a noticeable boost to the speed? Is it better to go for the top of the line 5590s? I think that the CPUs must be pair or not? Have you an idea of the prices? I've found many different offers in ebay.

Thanks in advance!
The CPUs don't have to be "paired". Any two X56xx Xeons can be "paired" up to work perfectly. The serial numbers mean nothing.

That being said, for what a pair of X5690s go for, I think it would be worth it to shoot for the X5680s... the negligible performance gain isn't worth the $80+ difference in price. However, if your OCD "MUST" have the best of the best, and that 4% performance boost means a lot to you, then the pair of X5690's are for you.

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK
Hi
Amazing information on here, so great works and thanks for all of it.
I need to check something if I can, I have a Mac Pro 2.66Ghz QC and thinking that I need to bump up the CPU now, I have seen that some one is selling a Intel Xeon X5570 2.93GHz Quad SLBFX de-lidded which seems to be ok with my system according to the first post but wanted to double check before hand.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
Hi
I need to check something if I can, I have a Mac Pro 2.66Ghz QC and thinking that I need to bump up the CPU now, I have seen that some one is selling a Intel Xeon X5570 2.93GHz Quad SLBFX de-lidded which seems to be ok with my system according to the first post but wanted to double check before hand.

If you have a single processor 2009 Mac Pro, no need to de-lid. Only 2009 duel processor machines require de-lidding.

The best cost/performance CPU upgrade is the X5680 CPU, 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon. There's lots of tips on doing the upgrade here, and it's really quite easy.

Have fun, and get prepared to read. This place is a library of the best info anyone could ever need for owners of Mac Pro computers... and a whole lot of other Apple machines. A virtual Gold Mine.

Reactions: firedownunder

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hi

Assume you have a 2009 4,1 single CPU cMP. And NO, You DO NOT want a lidless CPU. Only DP 4,1 cMPs use them. SP 4,1s use standard lidded CPUs. You probably should be looking at later models of CPUs than those numbered X55XX. A W3680 or an X5680 will provide you with more cores, run cooler and be less expensive than their higher priced siblings.

Lou

Last edited:

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK
If you have a single processor 2009 Mac Pro, no need to de-lid. Only 2009 duel processor machines require de-lidding.

The best cost/performance CPU upgrade is the X5680 CPU, 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon. There's lots of tips on doing the upgrade here, and it's really quite easy.

Have fun, and get prepared to read. This place is a library of the best info anyone could ever need for owners of Mac Pro computers... and a whole lot of other Apple machines. A virtual Gold Mine.

thank you for your help, I was able to find on for £50 on eBay so really happy that its up there on performance! Again great work everyone on here, it really does prove that the Mac Pro is still a great machine for value, even those who brought it from scratch the life span is just phenomenal.

Reactions: howiest

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
where do the xeons come from?
many of alibaba are fakes!
I have gone from 2 x 2.97 to 2 x 3.46 and have an increase in performance in almost every application
A bit of a late response, but I'm sure all of those Xeons are coming from retired servers as companies get rid of their old servers and upgrade to newer ones.

When I upgraded a cMP awhile back, I bought a used Dell Poweredge r610 server that included dual X5690 cpus and 48GB of ecc ddr ram for the cMP.

It seems like the E5 V2 Xeons used in the nMP have started to come down somewhat in price, too. Still somewhat pricey though especially compared to the cMP cpus.

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
Between France and Switzerland
Hey guys,
A while back, I upgraded a mac pro 2009 to an hexacore 3,33Ghz without any troubles. Used it for about a year and a half, and I recently came across a cheap dual CPU 2010. I bought it, sold the 2009, upgraded the 2010 to 2 3.33Ghz CPU.
Thing is, I notice there's a difference of 15°F between the two CPUs. Could that come from thermal paste? Maybe I applied more on one? Or could one of the CPU be a bit defective?
This difference is when I'm not doing anything special with the computer. Like just browsing the internet. I haven't really "pushed" the computer. Is it normal that one CPU is so much hotter than the other?
Right now, CPU A is 108, CPU B is 103. Ambient is 83. I'm using macs fan control.
Thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hey guys,
A while back, I upgraded a mac pro 2009 to an hexacore 3,33Ghz without any troubles. Used it for about a year and a half, and I recently came across a cheap dual CPU 2010. I bought it, sold the 2009, upgraded the 2010 to 2 3.33Ghz CPU.
Thing is, I notice there's a difference of 15°F between the two CPUs. Could that come from thermal paste? Maybe I applied more on one? Or could one of the CPU be a bit defective?
This difference is when I'm not doing anything special with the computer. Like just browsing the internet. I haven't really "pushed" the computer. Is it normal that one CPU is so much hotter than the other?
Right now, CPU A is 108, CPU B is 103. Ambient is 83. I'm using macs fan control.
Thanks!
CPU A intake gets the hot air from CPU B, so CPU A will always be some degrees hotter than CPU B.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok, that's a bit relief... I thought my CPU was damaged or maybe I did something wrong applying the thermal paste. But 15° when the computer is doing simple tasks is ok?
Here the difference is 4 to 5ºC.

Did you cleaned the heatsinks? Use compressed air to clean everything then check again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.