Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
upload_2019-5-15_13-27-1.png

yeah dont worry about it, they are all like that, this is mine, just sitting idle (well with a 146 chrome tabs open but 3% CPU usage)

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
Between France and Switzerland
It’s actually a difference from 8°C (I translated to Fahrenheit, I use Celsius). I cleaned everything when I changed the processors, a month ago. I bought the computer, changed the processors, and then didn’t really use it since I was waiting to sell the old Mac Pro 2009, so I had that one plugged in in case the potential buyers had questions and wanted me to run tests.

Thanks @LightBulbFun, that’s actually very reassuring! And 146 tabs? ^^ I remember using Firefox with 20 tabs open, it would max out on my ram and use all it could find (13gb on my MacBook Pro). I hope Chrome doesn’t do the same ^^ i actually reverted back to safari because of all the ram usage I could see with both Chrome and safari on my MacBook Pro. But it’s running El Capitan, so it could also be os related.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It’s actually a difference from 8°C (I translated to Fahrenheit, I use Celsius). I cleaned everything when I changed the processors, a month ago. I bought the computer, changed the processors, and then didn’t really use it since I was waiting to sell the old Mac Pro 2009, so I had that one plugged in in case the potential buyers had questions and wanted me to run tests.

It's normal, if the delta becomes bigger than 15ºC when in full CPU load, you should check if both heatsinks have the same tightening and thermal paste spread.

Btw, sometimes processors made in different foundries/dates have a little different behaviour. This is not unexpected.

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
Thanks, I’ll do that. I really hate the whole thermal paste spreading. I’m always afraid to put too much or not enough :/
but I must say hearing that “boooing” sound after putting the tray back and seeing 2x3.33ghz in “about that Mac” was a small victory.
And for some reason, changing the processor on the dual cpu tray was muuuuch easier than on the single cpu 2009 Mac. The huge heat sink wouldn’t fall back into place with that one and at one point I was pretty sure I had crushed the whole thing to the point of no return.
With the 2010, it was easy as pie.
Now I just have to fix my windows boot problem and I’ll be ready to go.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks, I’ll do that. I really hate the whole thermal paste spreading. I’m always afraid to put too much or not enough :/
I bought 3 X5680 from China and they all work as expected with my single CPU tray without anything of notice. The interest thing is that two of them have a 11ºC delta and when mix matching and testing the three with my dual CPU tray to get the better possible combo, I found one combination that have a 4 to 5ºC delta.

freddy418

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Just installed one of these into my Mac Pro 6.1:

Ivy-Bridge 10 core Xeon E5-2648L V2 1.9 2.5 1866 70W

It booted up fine, works beautifully, and temperatures are much much lower than the E5-1680 V2 it replaced!

axrst

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2019
Greece

If you have enough time, you could swap the CPU's and see what's happen then. It would be an interesting test. If the same CPU is hotter in the new slot, then it's a matter of the specific production part. If the other CPU is hotter, then its an air flow matter as tsialex said. If the difference got lower or the temperature is equal, then both issues happened. :)

edit: Which utility are you guys using for thermal CPU monitor?

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
Mac fan control. https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control
Also available on Windows, if you have boot camp.

I’m really gonna look into this CPU issue, I did some more CPU demanding tasks on the Mac today and noticed a delta of almost 20°C between the 2 CPU...
Having some OS related issues right now but once that’s solved I’m totally taking the tray out and check out the thermal paste.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I’m really gonna look into this CPU issue, I did some more CPU demanding tasks on the Mac today and noticed a delta of almost 20°C between the 2 CPU...
Having some OS related issues right now but once that’s solved I’m totally taking the tray out and check out the thermal paste.

You should as 20C difference is not normal.. Mine is 4C difference when idling and 6C to 10C under medium to heavy CPU utilization.

2019-05-17_20-26-57.png

A couple of things you can check:

1. "Use by" date of the thermal paste - Yes, thermal paste does go bad.
2. Quality of thermal paste - Which thermal paste are you using? I use Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut (German product) on both CPUs and Northbridge.
3. Application of thermal paste - Apply using applicator or a clean plastic card and spread evenly when using ceramic thermal paste

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
I’ll check the date but I’m pretty sure i checked it before applying and it wasn’t expired. If it is, I’ll order new one and reapply it one both CPUs.
It’s arctic MX-2.
I’ll take the tray out and reapply it on the one causing trouble.

Edit : actually, I checked my purchase date, which was July 2017. The tube was sealed shut ever since, and when I applied it, it wasn’t liquid or strange so I felt I was good to go since that thing lasts for at least 3 years in an opened tube.

Last edited:

Nessdufrat

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
So, today I redid both CPU and reapplied the thermal paste. I was with a friend who has a bit more experience in thermal paste application and who doubled checked my work and he confirmed that I applied it properly this time. I think last time I put too much.
Something I realize also is that Mac fans control, by default, is basing BoostA on Ambient and BoostB on diode CPUB. So basically, BoostA was almost never running while BoostB was running much more often.
Somebody gave me great values to use as custom values for Mac fans control for my previous Mac Pro 2009 but it was a single CPU.
Has anybody good custom values for Mac Fans Control for a double CPU cMP? Apparently the ones that comes by default aren’t that great.
I didn’t run the Mac for long because we had to leave early but the difference in temperature was between 1 and 2°C a few minutes after boot. I’ll try a stress test this week and check where that leaves me.

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
guys. I have one socket( single-processor) in my cMP 4.1 2009 (5.1) and 2.66 CPU W3520
I want to to replace by six-core CPU X5670, I looked at the first page, but I'm afraid to make a mistake/Can I change the processor for this one?
EkWhSVcwB

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
guys. I have one socket( single-processor) in my cMP 4.1 2009 (5.1) and 2.66 CPU W3520
I want to to replace by six-core CPU X5670, I looked at the first page, but I'm afraid to make a mistake/Can I change the processor for this one?
EkWhSVcwB
Yes, MP4,1 single tray use lidded Xeons and accept X5670 after you have a MP51 firmware installed.

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
Yes, MP4,1 single tray use lidded Xeons and accept X5670 after you have a MP51 firmware installed
thank you very much. The upgrade process is underway, it has already been changed to 5.1, X {560 is installed, I am in the process of installing the mojave and SSD blade. CPU next week))

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Installed dual X5677 to replace E5620’s in a mid 2010 5.1. No issues but having never done it before, was a bit stressed. She flies now! Temps were at 46C on both after using Arctic Silver 5. Booted first time without issue.

Got both for $40 Canadian off eBay from a Chinese seller. Quite pleased.

bobitavu

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Lyon , France
Hi everyone, new to this forum.
Mac pro 2009 mono cpu (stock mono 2,66) updated to 5.1, high sierra with bootrom MP51.0089.B00 BootROM
CPU update fail !! Trying to install a x5675 bought on ebay
After cpu change and new thermal paste, at first boot I had a apple logo + progress bar stuck at 75%.
Did a pram and smc resest (several times, event 10 times pram reset) no success.
verbose mode says "unsupported cpu unsupported pch"
Tried to boot with latest sysrescuecd linux live, gave me a kernel panic at boot with cpu blabla problem
No red light in the cpu tray board
Pictures for the verbose mode
Strange thing : after the FIRST pram reset the verbose told about the cpu family, model number and speed, never after that.
Any clue ?
IMG_0018.jpg IMG_0020.jpg

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
in theory. can the memory does not pull the frequency 1333?
But with the original CPU starts without problems?
i have monoCPU MacPro 4.1 BootRom 144.0.0.0.0 and no problem with X5670

bobitavu

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Lyon , France
Hi, thx for reading
I changed for 1333 mhz ram , 3x 8gb sticks ecc in slots 1, 2, 3 (4 empty)
Worked well with stock cpu 2,66 while at 1066 with this cpu.

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
Hi, thx for reading
I changed for 1333 mhz ram , 3x 8gb sticks ecc in slots 1, 2, 3 (4 empty)
Worked well with stock cpu 2,66 while at 1066 with this cpu.
I have only 2 thoughts.
1.try with the “old” memory
2. and if it doesn’t help, upgrade the bootrom for 144.0.0.0.0
and if it doesn't help either -
and wait for an answer more wise

bobitavu

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Lyon , France
For the 144..... bootrom I need a metal compatible graphic card (I have a sapphire radeon rx 580 nitro + but I am waiting for the power cable, so for now I am stuck with apple original nvidia gt 120, and with it if I am not wrong, there is no woay to update firmware because mojave installer tells me I need the card)
For info, I am trying to reinstall the cpu with a new cleaning of both surfaces, here are the pics x5675.jpg w3520.jpg w3520-back.jpg x5675-back.jpg

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
For the 144..... bootrom I need a metal compatible graphic card (I have a sapphire radeon rx 580 nitro + but I am waiting for the power cable, so for now I am stuck with apple original nvidia gt 120, and with it if I am not wrong, there is no woay to update firmware because mojave installer tells me I need the card)
For info, I am trying to reinstall the cpu with a new cleaning of both surfaces, here are the pics View attachment 841230 View attachment 841231 View attachment 841232 View attachment 841233
Your problem is not BootROM related, all MP5,1 firmwares support your X5670.

You could have a defective processor, socket problem or maybe your RAM don't like to work with a 1333MHz Xeon - I know it's weird, but I have some old Kingston DIMMs that work perfectly with W3540/W3565 and don't work with X5680/X5677 at all.

Reactions: dustwashere

bobitavu

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Lyon , France
If I understand you well, the verbose mode reporting cpu unsupported coulb be the RAM incompatibility ? Wouldn't be a verbose ram problem ? Anyway I reinstall the x5675 and then try the ram reverse back to the 1066 mhz

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
If I understand you well, the verbose mode reporting cpu unsupported coulb be the RAM incompatibility ? Wouldn't be a verbose ram problem ? Anyway I reinstall the x5675 and then try the ram reverse back to the 1066 mhz
It's one of the possibilities, but probably it's a defective CPU or something on the socket. Btw, you can't control RAM speed with a Mac Pro. Firmware checks the SPD and sets the speed accordingly with the memory controller support (1333MHz/1066MHz/800MHz for 1333 Xeons and 1066MHz/800MHz for 1066 Xeons).

bobitavu

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Lyon , France
No luck , reversing to 1066mhz ram sticks did not change, did pram reset again, still cpu unsupported verbose mode.
Seems the cpu is not working, trying to contact the ebay seller from China ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.