Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I have a feeling the whole Xeon SP CPU issue

is because when you do a PRAM reset, you reset everything including low level memory training and other such things

that when you do a CPU swap are still in place from when the old CPU was installed

but when you reset the NVRAM it clears all that and perhaps one of those low level bring ups is not compatible with the Xeon SP CPU

(it may even be some sort of platform compatibility check that gets ignored until you do a PRAM reset at which point the system goes Oi this CPU is not for this platform!)

what diagnostic LEDs light up on the logic board when its NOT posting?

Reactions: Synchro3

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
(it may even be some sort of platform compatibility check that gets ignored until you do a PRAM reset at which point the system goes Oi this CPU is not for this platform!)

what diagnostic LEDs light up on the logic board when its NOT posting?

The problem with that statement is that the factory and upgrade processors both have the same CPUID , so all the silicon is good for the platform .

The MP7,1 has no onboard diagnostic LEDs . And if it did , how would you view them ? The only way to access the logic board is to remove the housing . And the only way you can remove the housing is to unplug the power cord first . The old cMPs all required mains power to light up their diagnostic LEDs . Although , it would be theoretically possible to power them up with a small onboard battery or capacitor .

Something else is blocking the start up . NVRAM decides what start up drive is used and with the MP7,1 there is an intimate relationship between the factory drive , the boot ROM stored there and Mr. T2 . The NVRAM reset is mucking it all up somehow .

Although , T2 is supposed to be independent of the processor ... because , you know , Intel has security problems of its own . It's all together so frustrating .

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
The problem with that statement is that the factory and upgrade processors both have the same CPUID , so all the silicon is good for the platform .

but they are different CPU still for technically different platforms

a good example of this is the LGA1151 Xeon E CPUs dont (normally) work in Consumer Core ix Motherboards despite being the same socket and same CPUID etc

(the only thing that blocks them from working is the intel Management engine and if you can get round that then you can boot them on consumer mobos)

also from what i have been told, the MacPro7,1 does have 4 diagnostic LEDs,

1 is standby power, first power regulator, and T2 is powered

2 is all power regulators active, and CPU is powered to startup

3 is memory setup complete

4 is EFI completed startup and passed startup to the operating system wherever it is

it is also worth keeping in mind the Xeon SP CPUs only have 48 lanes where as the Xeon W CPUs have 64 lanes

it could be something as simple as the previous config from the Xeon W is forcing all 64 lanes on the Xeon SP CPU then you PRAM reset it gets set back to 48 lanes but 48 lanes may mean something important is no longer connected so the machine no longer POSTS

and it could even be something to do with your specific Model of CPU (I know its a gold CPU but specifically a single CPU only one, it would be interesting to try a non U CPU)

Reactions: dabotsonline

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
And if it did , how would you view them ? The only way to access the logic board is to remove the housing . And the only way you can remove the housing is to unplug the power cord first . The old cMPs all required mains power to light up their diagnostic LEDs . Although , it would be theoretically possible to power them up with a small onboard battery or capacitor.

I'm not familiar with the new Mac Pro at all, so maybe this is a stupid question. But can't you just plug the power cord back in after you remove the housing?

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
I'm not familiar with the new Mac Pro at all, so maybe this is a stupid question. But can't you just plug the power cord back in after you remove the housing?

I thought about that , too . I think there's a safety feature that prevents start up in that situation . But I might try it just to be certain .

Joon Kippur

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2020
Hi,

wow, what an amazing work you have done to create such a detailed list, that's awesome!

I apologize in advance if the question is already answered in the threads but I didn't stumbled upon:

I have a Mac Pro 1.1 and flashed the firmware to 3.1 and I'm planning to upgrade to 5.1

Would it be possible to replace my current dual core cpu 2.66GHz with the quad core CPUs available for Mac Pro 3.1 or even 5.1?

Thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,

wow, what an amazing work you have done to create such a detailed list, that's awesome!

I apologize in advance if the question is already answered in the threads but I didn't stumbled upon:

I have a Mac Pro 1.1 and flashed the firmware to 3.1 and I'm planning to upgrade to 5.1

Would it be possible to replace my current dual core cpu 2.66GHz with the quad core CPUs available for Mac Pro 3.1 or even 5.1?

Thanks!
Upgraded MP1,1 firmware to MP2,1, not 3,1.

No, it's not possible. MP1,1/2,1 only work with Clovertown/Woodcrest Xeons and don't accept any newer Xeons.

Reactions: Joon Kippur

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Just upgraded the stock 32GB ( 4 x 8GB ) memory configuration to an aftermarket 96GB ( 6 x 16GB ) in order to activate six channel memory and my processor upgraded 28 Core System performance went through the roof . I finally have a respectable GB5 multicore score . It's actually at the top of the class .

The upgrade modules are Crucial model MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G9 .

With the upgraded 96GB ( 6 x 16 GB ) memory :

Mac Pro 7,1 ( 2019 ) 28 Core with 6 x 16GB memory GB5 score geekbench.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the factory 32GB ( 4 x 8 GB ) memory :

GB3 results W-3275M copy.png

There's over a 20 percent improvement in System performance now . Everything else being the same .

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Curious, why not go with an additional eight 8GB dimms to fill all slots and utilize the four that shipped with the machine?

Lou

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
^^^^Curious, why not go with an additional eight 8GB dimms to fill all slots and utilize the four that shipped with the machine?

Lou

the modules are temporary pulls from my Supermicro Windows 10 Pro Workstation , which shares the same processor family with the MP7,1 .

Eventually , the goal is a 1.5 or 2 TB configuration . Taking it in baby steps , first , to learn about compatibility . It should not be too difficult , since there are basically only three memory module manufacturers left ( Micron , Samsung and SK Hynix ) . I believe all the other brands are either fabless or re-badgers .

Cracticus

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Wow - epic thread - thanks to ActionableMango ! - ... I have owned the base model 2010 5,1 single CPU for 10 years and decided based on the above to "spec it up a little". I chose the X5675 Westmere for it's potential to run 6 cores, 3.06Ghz and 48Gb (3x16)1333Mhz memory and its very low 95W power and heat off-grid reasons - have installed the new CPU fine and runs 20°C cooler than the old W3530 cpu. My Geekbench went up nicely - thanks ! All PCIe slots are full USB3/SSD/NVMe/AMD7970

One issue I cannot solve - is that my new memory chips (Hynix 4Rx4 PC3-10600R-9-12-F0 - Part number
100-562-456) don't want run at 1333Mhz (even after NVRAM reset) but seem only at run (in first three slots) 48Gb @ 1066Mhz? :(

I am not sure why? I actually ordered the R memory chips 3x16GB 4Rx4 PC3 -10600R-9-10-F0 1333Mhz but received slightly different Hynix ones 16GB 4Rx4 PC3-10600R-9-12-F0 P/N 100-562-456 - and wondering if these are the cause of my problem and if they really are 1333Hz? or if anybody else has ever tried this combo of the X5675 Westmere with 10600R memory chips?

another factoid - I have a spare 16Gb chip and when I install 4 x 16Gb of these (all slot full) my Mojave 10.14.6 memory speed drops to 800Mhz ? but if I have 2 or three slots occupied my Mojave will only run at5 1066Mhz?

Attachments

• CPU.png
    CPU.png
    55 KB · Views: 118
  • 1066mhz memory.png
    1066mhz memory.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 118

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Wow - epic thread - thanks to ActionableMango ! - ... I have owned the base model 2010 5,1 single CPU for 10 years and decided based on the above to "spec it up a little". I chose the X5675 Westmere for it's potential to run 6 cores, 3.06Ghz and 48Gb (3x16)1333Mhz memory and its very low 95W power and heat off-grid reasons - have installed the new CPU fine and runs 20°C cooler than the old W3530 cpu. My Geekbench went up nicely - thanks ! All PCIe slots are full USB3/SSD/NVMe/AMD7970

One issue I cannot solve - is that my new memory chips (Hynix 4Rx4 PC3-10600R-9-12-F0 - Part number
100-562-456) don't want run at 1333Mhz (even after NVRAM reset) but seem only at run (in first three slots) 48Gb @ 1066Mhz? :(

I am not sure why? I actually ordered the R memory chips 3x16GB 4Rx4 PC3 -10600R-9-10-F0 1333Mhz but received slightly different Hynix ones 16GB 4Rx4 PC3-10600R-9-12-F0 P/N 100-562-456 - and wondering if these are the cause of my problem and if they really are 1333Hz? or if anybody else has ever tried this combo of the X5675 Westmere with 10600R memory chips?

another factoid - I have a spare 16Gb chip and when I install 4 x 16Gb of these (all slot full) my Mojave 10.14.6 memory speed drops to 800Mhz ? but if I have 2 or three slots occupied my Mojave will only run at5 1066Mhz?
You bought 4Rx4 memory, that's the problem. Westmere Xeons with MP5,1 need 2R4 2Rx4 to work correctly at 1333MHz. Quad rank memory most times don't work or work at reduced speeds.

Last edited:

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
You bought 4Rx4 memory, that's the problem. Westmere Xeons with MP5,1 need 2R4 2Rx4 to work correctly at 1333MHz. Quad rank memory most times don't work or work at reduced speeds.

I'm surprised he was able to get three Quad rank memory modules working in the same bank . The total number of rank positions should not have exceed 8 per bank .

The maximum number of quad rank modules I have ever been able to get recognized is two , per bank , in the MP5,1 .

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
No, 4Rx4. MP5,1 requires 2Rx4.

Hi tsialex, I am curious there is any 32GB stick that would be 2Rx4. It looks like to me there is no such thing as 32G stick that is 2Rx4.

Does that mean, the highest that MP5,1 can go is 16GB stick?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi tsialex, I am curious there is any 32GB stick that would be 2Rx4. It looks like to me there is no such thing as 32G stick that is 2Rx4.

Does that mean, the highest that MP5,1 can go is 16GB stick?
There is a thread about 32GB DIMMs, it's not easy to find one that works correctly.

For a single CPU tray with a X56xx Xeon installed, you can use 4 2Rx4 16GB DIMMs.

Le_Cactus

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2018
France
Hi, here's the thread :

I use Samsung 32GB ram sticks, in my Mac Pro 5.1 single Xeon X5650 , but it works only in Windows 10 and Linux ... not with any recent MacOs versions (see the thread, in the last pages, it has stopped working after Yosemite). ;)

amedias

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Devon, UK
I'm surprised he was able to get three Quad rank memory modules working in the same bank . The total number of rank positions should not have exceed 8 per bank .

The maximum number of quad rank modules I have ever been able to get recognized is two , per bank , in the MP5,1 .

Theres per channel and per bank limits, and it does work, just at reduced speeds. I have one machine with 96GB as 6x16GB quad rank modules and they run fine at 1066.

if i populate the 4th slots as well with an additional quad rank module it still runs but at 800 as the 3rd and 4th (and 7th and 8th) slots are in the same channel so it clocks down.

the Nehalem/Westmere specs are well published but not that easy to read if you’re not used to memory geometry.

we went through all this years ago with DL380 G7 and G8 HP servers at work using between 12 and 18 slots (the DL580s are 64 slots and have different setups as they’re 4-way CPU) arranged over various channels and banks for the CPUs, you have to be careful how you populate and with module choice there to get best performance!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.