Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willscarlett

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
I just got my AngelShark Carrier Board and installed it yesterday. I have the original Apple SSD in its designated spot in the middle, plus two Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives in the other two slots. I got the AngelShark because I still want to run macOS Sierra so I can use FCP 7, but also want to run Catalina so I can use the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom. Here's how I have things set up:
  1. Backed up the original Apple SSD using Time Machine
  2. Installed Catalina on the Apple SSD to update firmware, etc
  3. Installed AngelShark plus two Samsung SSDs
  4. Booted into Catalina from the Apple SSD, used the installer to install Catalina on one of the Samsung drives
  5. Used a Sierra bootable USB installer to wipe the Apple SSD and install Sierra
  6. Did a Time Machine Restore to my Sierra drive
Default boot drive is Sierra, unless I hold down the option key to select a specific drive, but everything now boots up nicely, regardless of which OS I select. However, two questions, which I've seen touched upon, but can't figure out if there is a solution:
  1. Even tho all three drives are internal, macOS says they are external. Is there any way to fix this?
  2. I want to use Bootcamp to install Windows on the second Samsung SSD, but can't, since it's registering as an external drive. Is there a trick to install Windows?

Reactions: MisterAndrew

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008

willscarlett

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
That fix worked great! Now all the drives are showing as internal. Now to crack this Windows issue...

Reactions: MisterAndrew

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
That fix worked great! Now all the drives are showing as internal. Now to crack this Windows issue...
Skip Boot Camp Assistant. Partition the drive yourself with Disk Utility or iPartition. Make the new Partition FAT or NTFS. Then boot the Windows installer from USB and choose the partition you created for Windows. In the Windows installer, you want to erase the partition as NTFS.

Question: how does the speed of the Samsung drives compare to the Apple drive?

willscarlett

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
Skip Boot Camp Assistant. Partition the drive yourself with Disk Utility or iPartition. Make the new Partition FAT or NTFS. Then boot the Windows installer from USB and choose the partition you created for Windows. In the Windows installer, you want to erase the partition as NTFS.

Question: how does the speed of the Samsung drives compare to the Apple drive?
The Blackmagic speed test had the Apple SSD between 800 and 950 MB/s. The Samsung SSDs were between 1300 and 1400 MB/s, give or take. I'll give Windows a shot this way and report back!

willscarlett

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
Anyone trying to create a bootable Windows 10 installer using their Mac, Microsoft changed the Windows installer a bit in April 2020. In short, install.wim is now too large to copy over to a FAT-32 formatted USB drive, so you have do run some commands in Terminal to split the install.wim file into 2 files less than 4 GB each, then copy them over to your USB.Check out the link below.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Just curious about after some time using this extension board are there any heating issues? Also, why have the red or blue lights

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Not much need for one of these with the high capacity NVMe drives now (up to 8 TB so far) unless you need ultra high capacity for some reason, like using it as a server.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Not much need for one of these with the high capacity NVMe drives now (up to 8 TB so far) unless you need ultra high capacity for some reason, like using it as a server.

Hmm, well for one I find it nice to be able to separate system, users and temp storage physically and with different backup strategies associated. Having everything lumped together on one drive just means backups take longer and if the drive goes bad, the house is on fire. Also allows for selective space increases without the need to transfer everything.

Btw. what 4- or 8 TB SSDs are supported in the Trashcan?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Hmm, well for one I find it nice to be able to separate system, users and temp storage physically and with different backup strategies associated. Having everything lumped together on one drive just means backups take longer and if the drive goes bad, the house is on fire. Also allows for selective space increases without the need to transfer everything.

Btw. what 4- or 8 TB SSDs are supported in the Trashcan?

Create separate volumes and use different physical external drives for backups.

Sabrent and OWC have 4 TB drives. Sabrent has an 8 TB drive. Others will follow.

Also, please don’t call it “trashcan.” That’s a derogatory remark created by people who don’t appreciate it and it shouldn’t be repeated. The forum collectively agreed on 6,1.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

I see the thought to be able to use for video editing. Usually have project on external drive (currently using OWC Thunderbolt 2 mini at RAID 0). Would eliminate the need for external (just for backup) and have everything in the unit. If you RAID the other two SSDs on the board and keep the Original SSD as your system SSD, might be a good option.

Anyone do this with the Amfeltec AngleShark Carrier board?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Ok, but are these confirmed working? Not long ago there were still compatibility issues with different types of drives.

The lower capacity Sabrent drives are confirmed working, so the higher capacity drives should be fine. Those also support 4Kn sector format. I haven't heard of anyone using the OWC M.2 drives (only the ones with the Apple 12+16 connector), but they're probably fine.

russg73

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
Las Vegas
Anyone interested in buying a used Amfeltec AngelShark card? I'm selling my Mac Pro and the card needs to be taken out and sold. Thanks!

bradl001

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Anyone interested in buying a used Amfeltec AngelShark card? I'm selling my Mac Pro and the card needs to be taken out and sold. Thanks!
Hi Russg73. I'm interested. Can you send me a personal message with some details? Thanks!

sundhar1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
I am interested in getting the Amfeltec AngelShark board. Let me know if you want to proceed. Thanks

thepob

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
Indianapolis
If anyone is looking to sell one, I'm interested. Price has gone down a little but still more than I can pay, considering I'd need two drives with it.

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I have one for sale but I'm in Australia. Happy to send overseas though and the AUD is always weak these days.

Edit: Added a photo. It comes with both heatsink options (I had the wider OEM SSD) and all original fittings. Also, the horribly bright LEDs that seemingly didn't really indicate anything are already taped over.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    959.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

thepob

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
Indianapolis
I have one for sale but I'm in Australia. Happy to send overseas though and the AUD is always weak these days.

Edit: Added a photo. It comes with both heatsink options (I had the wider OEM SSD) and all original fittings. Also, the horribly bright LEDs that seemingly didn't really indicate anything are already taped over.
PM me a price and we can chat!

Reactions: SamPotts

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Given the underwhelming response, I've listed mine on eBay although I'll happily do a deal for someone on here (400 AUD delivered in Australia, 440 AUD delivered worldwide).

Reactions: mikas

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2020
Does anyone know if this can be used for 3 seperate drives or are there speed penalties?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.