Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi All,

Been a while 😀 Resurrecting this one...

I added a second disk. A WD Black SN 770, but it refuses to show up (next to my EVO 970). The EVO works fine.

Any ideas what this can be? I also tried a WD Blue SN 580, same story.

I swapped bot drives (so the EVO and the WD) and the EVO still works. So I assume the port is good.

Could this really be a NVMe compatibly issue? Need another EVO? Or is there more going on? I also removed all disks, only used the WD, also doesn't show. The LEDs only flash on boot, and then nothing.

Some help or someone that can shed some light on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Do you have a Amfeltec AngelShark Carrier Board? WD SN770 works with late-2013 Mac Pro but only if is the only blade and without the Amfeltec AngelShark.

SN770 is one of the problematic blades with a MacPro5,1 and while it works fine with late-2013 without Amfeltec AngelShark and 2019 Mac Pros, several people have issues with earlier Mac Pros, but I'm afraid no one tested with Amfeltec AngelShark.

Get a more compatible one.

Last edited:

onesixright

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Netherlands
Do you have a Amfeltec AngelShark Carrier Board?
@tsialex thanks!

Yes! But I have a MacPro6,1

I found the WD Black drive on a list somewhere (can't find the link any more...)

So you are saying, likely just incompatible. The WD Blue was also not working. Any suggestions what should work?

I can get a :
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus
  • Samsung 980
  • Samsung 990 EVO
Will any of these work?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex thanks!

Yes! But I have a MacPro6,1

I found the WD Black drive on a list somewhere (can't find the link any more...)

So you are saying, likely just incompatible. The WD Blue was also not working. Any suggestions what should work?

I can get a :
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus
  • Samsung 980
  • Samsung 990 EVO
Will any of these work?

Samsung 970 EVO+ works fine here, you should avoid PCIe v4.0 blades with AngelShark.

Some blades that work fine with MacPro6,1 does not work or work poorly with the AngelShark, it's a picky switched adapter and have issues with some recent PCIe v4.0 blades.

Last edited:
Reactions: onesixright
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.